Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Perhaps my initial statement was a tad strong. But I stand by my original point that long-distance shooting wouldn't be a strength for this team; at least not compared to the other possible all-star lineups. If I was defending against them I know what I'd do -- pack it in, take away their athleticism and force these guys to win on jumpshots. They'll still beat normal college teams because, dang, Battier, Hill and Laettner, but I don't think this is the best team you can assemble given the rules of the what-if game.
    What is the best team? I actually didn't pick the team that was commented on because I wanted a true point guard. Regrettable I had to drop Battier for Singler so I could pick up Duhon. I had Laettner, Grant, Kyle, Nolan and Duhon. So with Kyle for Shane and Duhon for G, I don't think the 3 pt shooting changes much. What I would like to do is have the option of taking Amaker for a buck so I could have Shane with Laettner, Grant, and Nolan. What I absolutely would not do is drop Laettner or Grant to pick up JJ for $5. I don't care how well JJ shoots your team is worse if you drop Laettner or Grant imo. It's a fun exercise because you have to make tough choices. Only two $5 players max and then if you take Battier for three you only have $2 for guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    If Yao could actually hit 70% from 3 in games, or even 40% from 3, what coach on earth would not have him shooting the 3? Yao Ming averaged 2.5 offensive rebounds per game for his career. That is not that exceptional. Kevin Love has averaged 3.7, yet he has taken 1205 more 3ptrs than Yao.

Despite what you saw in a gym, Yao only attempted 10 3ptrs in his entire career because he wasn't very good at making them.
    Um, the NBA 3 point line is almost 2 feet further away than the international line. Everybody's got a range. Yao shot plenty of mid ranged jumpers in his career, and was always a pretty reliable shooter from that range.

Love is also a little more mobile than Yao. Just a tad. And since when was this about Kevin Love, who is a completely different animal? We were comparing Yao Ming and Christian Laettner. By the way, 2.5 offensive boards would have been good for top 20 for all players in the NBA last year.

Regardless, the number of rebounds he got has nothing to do with fundamental basketball strategy. You keep your big men near the rim. If not to crash to boards, at least to try to stop the other team from getting to a defensive rebound. He shot 10 3s, but at least he made 2 of them. He's capable of hitting them. 4 or 5 of those were probably halfcourt heaves. 2 for 5 or 2 for 6 ain't too bad. At the very least, he's hit infinity times more 3s than you have in the NBA.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-31-2014 at 06:02 PM.

If Yao could actually hit 70% from 3 in games, or even 40% from 3, what coach on earth would not have him shooting the 3? Yao Ming averaged 2.5 offensive rebounds per game for his career. That is not that exceptional. Kevin Love has averaged 3.7, yet he has taken 1205 more 3ptrs than Yao.

Despite what you saw in a gym, Yao only attempted 10 3ptrs in his entire career because he wasn't very good at making them.
    Oh, hey, I just looked up Yao Ming's stats from his 5 years in the CBA playing for the Shanghai Sharks. He shot 76/151 for 50% from 3. Jeez . . . only 50%, I guess he wasn't very good at making 3s.

edit: Sorry, I get worked up when people trash my favorite players. But I think I made my point: Yao Ming is a way better long range shooter than his low volume of stats would indicate.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-31-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Oh, hey, I just looked up Yao Ming's stats from his 5 years in the CBA playing for the Shanghai Sharks. He shot 76/151 for 50% from 3. Jeez . . . only 50%, I guess he wasn't very good at making 3s.

edit: Sorry, I get worked up when people trash my favorite players. But I think I made my point: Yao Ming is a way better long range shooter than his low volume of stats would indicate.

If I can get Ming for $2 I'll trade Kyle. The way I understand it a long range sniper like Ming will improve my team's spacing considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    If I can get Ming for $2 I'll trade Kyle. The way I understand it a long range sniper like Ming will improve my team's spacing considerably.
    A. His surname is Yao . . . nobody calls him Ming. Seriously, how do people still not know this?
    B. If Yao Ming played D1 basketball, he would have dominated. Young Yao ming could post you up, shoot from anywhere, and was more athletic and bouncy when he was 250 pounds, and not 330, so he could dunk on anyone because he was over 7'3" at age 19. And no, he was not a huge stiff like Alex Len, Yao was a basketball prodigy from the time he was 10 years old. Please don't argue with me on this.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-31-2014 at 09:12 PM.

What is the best team? I actually didn't pick the team that was commented on because I wanted a true point guard. Regrettable I had to drop Battier for Singler so I could pick up Duhon. I had Laettner, Grant, Kyle, Nolan and Duhon. So with Kyle for Shane and Duhon for G, I don't think the 3 pt shooting changes much. What I would like to do is have the option of taking Amaker for a buck so I could have Shane with Laettner, Grant, and Nolan. What I absolutely would not do is drop Laettner or Grant to pick up JJ for $5. I don't care how well JJ shoots your team is worse if you drop Laettner or Grant imo. It's a fun exercise because you have to make tough choices. Only two $5 players max and then if you take Battier for three you only have $2 for guards.
    I wasn't too worried about having a true point guard. We could have Grant play point forward. Besides, Nolan did a pretty good job playing PG once Kyrie got hurt. I'll stick with Christian, Shane, Grant, Gerald and Nolan.

A. His surname is Yao . . . nobody calls him Ming. Seriously, how do people still not know this?
    B. If Yao Ming played D1 basketball, he would have dominated. Young Yao ming could post you up, shoot from anywhere, and was more athletic and bouncy when he was 250 pounds, and not 330, so he could dunk on anyone because he was over 7'3" at age 19. And no, he was not a huge stiff like Alex Len, Yao was a basketball prodigy from the time he was 10 years old. Please don't argue with me on this.
    I'm no match for you in Yao knowledge. I'm not a big NBA fan and I'm neither pro-Yao nor anti-Yao. I'm Yao neutral. When it comes to Yao I'm like Switzerland. You could say that I'm consumed with Yao apathy and I don't even care. I thought all the Yao talk in the $15 Duke team thread was curious so I made an apparently not so obvious wise-crack. Next time I'll throw in a lol or smiley face. I promise no Yao offense was intended.

I'm no match for you in Yao knowledge. I'm not a big NBA fan and I'm neither pro-Yao nor anti-Yao. I'm Yao neutral. When it comes to Yao I'm like Switzerland. You could say that I'm consumed with Yao apathy and I don't even care. I thought all the Yao talk in the $15 Duke team thread was curious so I made an apparently not so obvious wise-crack. Next time I'll throw in a lol or smiley face. I promise no Yao offense was intended.
    Trust me, I understood it was a joke, but it was poorly executed to the point where it actually was kind of offensive. You butchered his name, and Yao probably would have actually been a really good 3 pt shooter with a 20 foot, 9 inch line (it was actually even shorter when he was college age). You also equated a 5-time all NBA selection to being worth $2 amongst Duke players. I'll accept your explanation, but do like 30 seconds of research next time.

Trust me, I understood it was a joke, but it was poorly executed to the point where it actually was kind of offensive. You butchered his name, and Yao probably would have actually been a really good 3 pt shooter with a 20 foot, 9 inch line (it was actually even shorter when he was college age). You also equated a 5-time all NBA selection to being worth $2 amongst Duke players. I'll accept your explanation, but do like 30 seconds of research next time.
    the answer: Yao Ming

the question: what catalyzes bad board behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    the answer: Yao Ming

the question: what catalyzes bad board behavior?
    Not me I'm Switzerland.

Henceforth my editor will proofread and fact-check all Yao Posts for errors and insensitive comments. Yao about a truce?

You take check?

Love is also a little more mobile than Yao. Just a tad. And since when was this about Kevin Love, who is a completely different animal? We were comparing Yao Ming and Christian Laettner. By the way, 2.5 offensive boards would have been good for top 20 for all players in the NBA last year.

Regardless, the number of rebounds he got has nothing to do with fundamental basketball strategy. You keep your big men near the rim. If not to crash to boards, at least to try to stop the other team from getting to a defensive rebound. He shot 10 3s, but at least he made 2 of them. He's capable of hitting them. 4 or 5 of those were probably halfcourt heaves. 2 for 5 or 2 for 6 ain't too bad. At the very least, he's hit infinity times more 3s than you have in the NBA.
    I would pay the $5 for Laettner because he was a lot more like Kevin Love than Yao Ming. Do you remember Laettner schooling Shaq in Cameron? It's fundamental basketball strategy to keep your big man near the rim when they can't score outside the paint. But when they can, then its a huge advantage to get them the ball in different spots all over the court to make a defense adjust. Besides Love and Laettner, Nowitzki, Garnett, Aldridge, and even Ryan Kelly are all examples of bigs who are not camped out under the rim trying to get offensive rebounds, they're trying to score.

If Yao truly had an effective 3 point shot from NBA range, then Houston was foolish to not use it. An unblockable 50% 3 pt shooter is worth a hell of a lot more than 2.5 offensive rebounds per game. And that's not necessarily even a trade-off you have to make. Love proves that taking a few three pointers a game does not mean you can't still be an effective offensive rebounder.

I would pay the $5 for Laettner because he was a lot more like Kevin Love than Yao Ming. Do you remember Laettner schooling Shaq in Cameron? It's fundamental basketball strategy to keep your big man near the rim when they can't score outside the paint. But when they can, then its a huge advantage to get them the ball in different spots all over the court to make a defense adjust. Besides Love and Laettner, Nowitzki, Garnett, Aldridge, and even Ryan Kelly are all examples of bigs who are not camped out under the rim trying to get offensive rebounds, they're trying to score.

If Yao truly had an effective 3 point shot from NBA range, then Houston was foolish to not use it. An unblockable 50% 3 pt shooter is worth a hell of a lot more than 2.5 offensive rebounds per game. And that's not necessarily even a trade-off you have to make. Love proves that taking a few three pointers a game does not mean you can't still be an effective offensive rebounder.
    Wow . . . Are you really trying to argue that Christian Laettner was better than Yao Ming and Shaq? You do realize Laettner shot 26% career from the NBA three point line, right? He was a totally different player than Kevin Love, and I'm sorry, but Ryan Kelly does not belong in the same sentence as Dirk Nowitzki . . .

By the way, Yao was every bit as good from mid range as Garnett (27% career from 3) and Aldridge (21%). Are you that young, or do you just not remember anything?
    Last edited by kAzE; 08-01-2014 at 02:58 AM.

By the way, Garnett has a 18.6 ppg career average. Aldridge: 18.9. Yao Ming: 19.0

If those guys were trying to score so hard, why didn't they score as much as Yao?

Wow . . . Are you really trying to argue that Christian Laettner was better than Yao Ming and Shaq? You do realize Laettner shot 26% career from the NBA three point line, right? He was a totally different player than Kevin Love, and I'm sorry, but Ryan Kelly does not belong in the same sentence as Dirk Nowitzki . . .

By the way, Yao was every bit as good from mid range as Garnett (27% career from 3) and Aldridge (21%). Are you that young, or do you just not remember anything?
    Laettner was a better college player than Shaq and Mourning. Just Google all time great college players and you will see that Laettner is in practically everyone's top 10. But Mourning and Shaq were drafted ahead of Laettner and were better pros. Yao Ming will not be listed on any ranking of college basketball greats.

Are you really trying to argue that Christian Laettner was better than Yao Ming and Shaq?
    No I'm not. Are you really trying to argue that Yao Ming was a great three point shooter even though he only made 2 in his entire NBA career? Yes you are.

Why don't you keep believing that "fundamental basketball strategy" made it smart for Yao to not shoot threes, and I'll keep believing that he didn't take three pointers because he and his coaches knew he wasn't good at making them.

No I'm not. Are you really trying to argue that Yao Ming was a great three point shooter even though he only made 2 in his entire NBA career? Yes you are.

Why don't you keep believing that "fundamental basketball strategy" made it smart for Yao to not shoot threes, and I'll keep believing that he didn't take three pointers because he and his coaches knew he wasn't good at making them.
    You obviously didn't read anything I posted . . . . I've said over and over that he actually WAS a great 3 point shooter in the CBA (based on fact), with the international 3 point line, and WOULD have been a great 3 point shooter if he had played D1 NCAA ball with the college line. I've been arguing that he was a really good mid range shooter in the NBA, but you conveniently chose to ignore that, while citing other guys like Aldridge who very nearly shoots the same percentage (21%) as Yao (20%) from 3 in the NBA. You clearly never watched a single game the guy played.
    Last edited by kAzE; 08-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

You obviously didn't read anything I posted . . . . I've said over and over that he actually WAS a great 3 point shooter in the CBA (based on fact), with the international 3 point line, and WOULD have been a great 3 point shooter if he had played D1 NCAA ball with the college line. I've been arguing that he was a really good mid range shooter in the NBA, but you conveniently chose to ignore that, while citing other guys like Aldridge who very nearly shoots the same percentage (21%) as Yao (20%) from 3 in the NBA. You clearly never watched a single game the guy played.
    And the point of this is colloquy is, what? This playground repartee seems like material for Private Messages, if that. Please spare us.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013