Thread: Float Tank

Float Tank

Anyone ever experience a sensory deprivation tank? I made an appointment for Monday to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Anyone ever experience a sensory deprivation tank? I made an appointment for Monday to try it out.
    One might ask why, but instead I'll just say no, I never have, and I'll be curious to read your experience if you choose to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    One might ask why, but instead I'll just say no, I never have, and I'll be curious to read your experience if you choose to share it.
    I'll certainly share my experience. As for why I am doing it, I guess just out of curiosity. It is really the only environment on earth where you can experience zero gravity. Not to sound like a typical Asheville hippy, buy it is known to be one of the best methods of meditation. You are able to completely "let go" of everything.

I'll certainly share my experience. As for why I am doing it, I guess just out of curiosity. It is really the only environment on earth where you can experience zero gravity. Not to sound like a typical Asheville hippy, buy it is known to be one of the best methods of meditation. You are able to completely "let go" of everything.
    Zero gravity? That should be quite an experience for someone who regular posts about "high gravity" topics.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm (very lazily) trying to work meditation into my routine. Easy concept to grasp really hard to put into practice. Not sure I am ready to get into a sensory deprivation tank to figure it out (yet).

Zero gravity is pretty intriguing. I assume this means you are hooked up to some sort of oxygen mask? How long is a session?

I'm (very lazily) trying to work meditation into my routine. Easy concept to grasp really hard to put into practice. Not sure I am ready to get into a sensory deprivation tank to figure it out (yet).

Zero gravity is pretty intriguing. I assume this means you are hooked up to some sort of oxygen mask? How long is a session?
    I love that I'm not in school and Wikipedia is an acceptable source in the real world. The link should answer most questions you have about it, but you don't need a mask. There are ventilation holes on the top of the tank. I haven't had a session yet so I cant speak for myself, but I would consider reading other people's experience with it to see if it is something you may want to explore.

Sessions vary, at the place I will be going they offer 60 minute, 90 minute, and 120 minute (think Dogfish Head) sessions. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone recommended the 90 minute for a first timer. Apparently after a few sessions, it doesn't take as long to "let go" (whatever that means). I decided to go with the package deal that includes the 90 minute float AND a 75 minute Esalen massage for $160.

It's a big tank filled with about 10 inces (?) of water and 900 lbs of Epsom salt, for buoyancy. So, no matter how big you are you WILL float. You wear a pair of ear plugs and are in complete darkness. The temperature of both the air and water are the same as your body temp. This means you can't feel, see, or hear anything.

It's a big tank filled with about 10 inces (?) of water and 900 lbs of Epsom salt, for buoyancy. So, no matter how big you are you WILL float. You wear a pair of ear plugs and are in complete darkness. The temperature of both the air and water are the same as your body temp. This means you can't feel, see, or hear anything.
    Ten inches seems awfully shallow until I saw the Wikipedia picture. Have fun!

Zero Gravity

I guess you must literally mean "on earth" as far experiencing zero gravity. I did it inside a P-3 Orion flying over the Atlantic - so we weren't on the earth.

But wherever you do it - enjoy it. It's an amazing sensation. And from my experience, I have to confirm what I've heard about a lot of people who got to experience the sensation in the various settings where it's possible - LOTS of people break out laughing and giggling. I think I read once that there are some anatomical or hormonal things that cause the silliness feeling.

But it's a real treat - have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I guess you must literally mean "on earth" as far experiencing zero gravity. I did it inside a P-3 Orion flying over the Atlantic - so we weren't on the earth.

But wherever you do it - enjoy it. It's an amazing sensation. And from my experience, I have to confirm what I've heard about a lot of people who got to experience the sensation in the various settings where it's possible - LOTS of people break out laughing and giggling. I think I read once that there are some anatomical or hormonal things that cause the silliness feeling.

Wow! I bet that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post

We already have easy access in Asheville to something that also causes that kind of effect in people.

ricks

Is that the place across the street from Limones? We stopped by and checked out their brochure. It's pretty darn salty in there with their cave and all. Definitely sounds like a neat experience. Typical Asheville. Have you also thought about the Friday drum circle? People get lost in that for hours and hours. I tried it a little by asking one of the guys if I could borrow one of his drums. It's a lot harder than it looks.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Is that the place across the street from Limones? We stopped by and checked out their brochure. It's pretty darn salty in there with their cave and all. Definitely sounds like a neat experience. Typical Asheville. Have you also thought about the Friday drum circle? People get lost in that for hours and hours. I tried it a little by asking one of the guys if I could borrow one of his drums. It's a lot harder than it looks.

ricks
    No this is a different place. It is at Still Point Wellness.

I have been to the drum circle plenty of times...have you saw Sister Sin riding around town yet?

I have been to the drum circle plenty of times...have you saw Sister Sin riding around town yet?
    As for the experience...

Wow.

I had a 90 minute session, 45 of those minutes were just trying to get completely relaxed. Eventually I wasn't able to feel the water because it was 94 degrees, or exactly the same temp as my skin, so was the air flowing through the tank. When you aren't able to see, hear, or feel anything for that long, you can start to explore your mind with no distractions. I have never enjoyed literally doing nothing so much...just an incredible way to meditate and reflect on what is going on in your life. I will definitely be going back!

My one question about Sister Sin is: Where is the squirt gun she usually has for squirting at the riders in the Lazoom bus as she chases it on her bicycle?

Asheville, "The Cesspool of Sin". One of my favorite quotes about my favorite town.

ricks.

As for the experience...

Wow.

I had a 90 minute session, 45 of those minutes were just trying to get completely relaxed. Eventually I wasn't able to feel the water because it was 94 degrees, or exactly the same temp as my skin, so was the air flowing through the tank. When you aren't able to see, hear, or feel anything for that long, you can start to explore your mind with no distractions. I have never enjoyed literally doing nothing so much...just an incredible way to meditate and reflect on what is going on in your life. I will definitely be going back!
    Definitely need to discuss this when we are eating our BBQ.

ricks