Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    beef ribs are on deck. Turns out the best source of beef ribs I found is at Wal-Mart. I tried some this past week and just put a spice rub on the ribs (kosher salt/black pepper/brown sugar/granulated garlic/cayenne) and smoked them over the lump charcoal and hickory. The method was 3 hours at 250, pull them off the egg, put them on a tray, add half a beer to the tray, wrap them in tinfloil, and return to the egg for 2 more hours. The consistency turned out great and they were delicious, but a little dry.

I want to do them again this week, but basically marinate them in a BBQ sauce/Italian dressing mix, then put them on the egg again for 3 hours. When taking them off I plan to paint them with the concoction, wrap and return to the egg for 2 more hours. Final step is to pull them off, get the gas grill real hot, finish them for a couple minutes on the gas grill with another painting of the concoction.

Since I am just making all this up as I go along, any reason that the more experienced Q'ers see that this is doomed to fail?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    beef ribs are on deck. Turns out the best source of beef ribs I found is at Wal-Mart. I tried some this past week and just put a spice rub on the ribs (kosher salt/black pepper/brown sugar/granulated garlic/cayenne) and smoked them over the lump charcoal and hickory. The method was 3 hours at 250, pull them off the egg, put them on a tray, add half a beer to the tray, wrap them in tinfloil, and return to the egg for 2 more hours. The consistency turned out great and they were delicious, but a little dry.

I want to do them again this week, but basically marinate them in a BBQ sauce/Italian dressing mix, then put them on the egg again for 3 hours. When taking them off I plan to paint them with the concoction, wrap and return to the egg for 2 more hours. Final step is to pull them off, get the gas grill real hot, finish them for a couple minutes on the gas grill with another painting of the concoction.

Since I am just making all this up as I go along, any reason that the more experienced Q'ers see that this is doomed to fail?
    Do beef ribs have a membrane on the back like pork ribs, and if so is it removed the same way?

I have no idea but I don't think so. Last time I just cut them into individual ribs, cooked them, and ate them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do beef ribs have a membrane on the back like pork ribs, and if so is it removed the same way?
    Yes and yes.

EDIT: http://bbq.about.com/od/ribs/ss/aa102508a_3.htm
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Bob Green

I sure hope someone updates this thread with a better source than Wal-Mart.

Best beef short ribs I've had were Painted Hills short ribs in Charlotte at the Mimosa Grill.

Hard to describe my personal best beef ribs but they likely came from the Meat House and were grass fed.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I sure hope someone updates this thread with a better source than Wal-Mart.

Best beef short ribs I've had were Painted Hills short ribs in Charlotte at the Mimosa Grill.

Hard to describe my personal best beef ribs but they likely came from the Meat House and were grass fed.
    Don't know about walmart, but Costco has some nice meat. Nothing I'd eat rare, but cooked through and through...

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Wal-Mart is a great source for all your meats. I am lucky in that our local (and very small) IGA has the best meat department in Eastern NC with great quality and even better prices, but when I need something on short notice I go to WM. They almost always have briskets in stock, and often you can find great deals in the afternoon as they are putting out the selections for the next day. I buy rib-eyes on sale this way all the time, and freeze them.
    As far as the ribs go, I wouldn't marinate them in a sauce with any glazing; the sugars will burn long before your ribs are ready, which should take a couple hours. You want your sauce to caramelize, not be black and crispy. I rub mine, and then about a 1/4 way to go I'll glaze them and wrap them in foil to let them finish.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wal-Mart is a great source for all your meats. I am lucky in that our local (and very small) IGA has the best meat department in Eastern NC with great quality and even better prices, but when I need something on short notice I go to WM. They almost always have briskets in stock, and often you can find great deals in the afternoon as they are putting out the selections for the next day. I buy rib-eyes on sale this way all the time, and freeze them.
    As far as the ribs go, I wouldn't marinate them in a sauce with any glazing; the sugars will burn long before your ribs are ready, which should take a couple hours. You want your sauce to caramelize, not be black and crispy. I rub mine, and then about a 1/4 way to go I'll glaze them and wrap them in foil to let them finish.
    what do you use for a rub? thats a good plan.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    what do you use for a rub? thats a good plan.
    I usually make my own, you can find various recipes online, but if you want a good rub that is commercially available; I like McCormick's rubs. They have a good selection of styles, and are available everywhere.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

what do you use for a rub?
    Brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Don't go overboard with the brown sugar or the rub could burn. The amount of cayenne varies dependent upon the level of heat desired. If you are looking for high heat, increase the cayenne and add one more ingredient - cumin. I like spicy ribs and wings, but I don't like them so hot my lips go numb while eating.

One more thing, once opened, spices turn bland from sitting on the shelf in a cabinet too long. A guideline I've heard is six months, so if the spices in your kitchen have been open around six months, throw them away and buy new ones.

I love to cook meat on the grill but I must admit my skill level is journeyman while CB&B and TNTDevil are certified masters.
    Bob Green

Poll question -- brown sugar, yes or no? I find for pork butts (a twelve-hour-plus process) that it really makes the meat dark without a real benefit to the meat. Or, better stated, I can get tastes I like equally without it and get a more appealing crust. But curious as to other views, and/or other cuts.

Poll question -- brown sugar, yes or no? I find for pork butts (a twelve-hour-plus process) that it really makes the meat dark without a real benefit to the meat. Or, better stated, I can get tastes I like equally without it and get a more appealing crust. But curious as to other views, and/or other cuts.
    I agree. I've done with and without, and have not used it in a long time. I do think it makes for nicer "bark", but beyond that I haven't found any great benefit and don't miss it when it isn't used.

Poll question -- brown sugar, yes or no?
    For ribs, I say yes. As stated above, I like to use a spicy rub on my ribs and the brown sugar sweetness balances the heat.
    Bob Green

I also find the large to be plenty big, and I have heard the XL really chews through a lot of charcoal. On the menu for next week is a smoked side of salmon. This is fun.
    Man am I psyched to find this thread. Bought my BGE 1.5 years ago and it is arguably the best cooking investment I have ever made. I've cooked everything on it and turned out some of my absolute best meals ever. Smoked turkey for thanksgiving anyone?!? Did salmon last night for the first time. Potlatch seasoning, let it sit in the frig for about three hours and then put on BGE for about 35 minutes at 250 using mix of hardwood charcoal, little apple wood and some alder. I tend use the finger touch method to test fish for doneness. Came out great. And my favorite thing about the BGE is cooking a little extra for purposeful leftovers. This morning made a fresh salmon spread with 1/4 pound of salmon leftovers. Cream cheese, sour cream, lemon, dill, s & p, flaked salmon in an electric mixer. Amazing! And have also done smoked trout dip. Me and my BGE are best buds.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Did the beef ribs yesterday for fathers day: pulled off the membrane (thanks for the tip) and seasoned the beef ribs with a dry rub from trader joes (some coffee based rub). Used some hickory, and smoked them for 3 hours at 250. At three hours pulled them of and gave them a bath in a bbq sauce/italian dressing mix and put them on a tray, wrapped in tinfloil, and back on the egg for another 1.5 hrs. Pulled them off, gave them another bath in the sauce, and finished them for 5 minutes on direct heat from my gas grill. Definitely a winner and even better this morning for breakfast as leftovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Man am I psyched to find this thread. Bought my BGE 1.5 years ago and it is arguably the best cooking investment I have ever made. I've cooked everything on it and turned out some of my absolute best meals ever. Smoked turkey for thanksgiving anyone?!? Did salmon last night for the first time. Potlatch seasoning, let it sit in the frig for about three hours and then put on BGE for about 35 minutes at 250 using mix of hardwood charcoal, little apple wood and some alder. I tend use the finger touch method to test fish for doneness. Came out great. And my favorite thing about the BGE is cooking a little extra for purposeful leftovers. This morning made a fresh salmon spread with 1/4 pound of salmon leftovers. Cream cheese, sour cream, lemon, dill, s & p, flaked salmon in an electric mixer. Amazing! And have also done smoked trout dip. Me and my BGE are best buds.
    please share your preferred recipes!

image.jpg

Beer poured, fire lit, butt out of the fridge. Go USA!

image.jpg

Beer poured, fire lit, butt out of the fridge. Go USA!
    Shaq's, err, OPK's got a big ol' butt, yea.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Sir Charles has one big ol' butt!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shaq's, err, OPK's got a big ol' butt, yea.
    But(t) it's smokin' at dawn:

image.jpg