Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NBA Draft

Philly

Normally, I'd be all over Duke players getting drafted as high as possible, but I really like the idea of Jabari in Philly. It just makes sense to me.

Philly, as of right now, has three assets worth anything: MCW, Thaddeus Young, and Nerlens. All three of these players are flawed, but they are all above-average defensive players. MCW is a steal champion, Young is a great pick-and-roll buster, and Noel can become a defensive anchor (he should it during his lone season and UK). Jabari can be hidden on defense with this current line-up. Also, Jabari's offense would be a God Send to this team of inept offensive players.

Philly can also draft an exciting 2, like LaVine, Hood, or Gary Harris, with their second pick. That would be a strong core in which to build upon for the future.

I would invest in Philly stock right now. It's cheap, but it can only go up!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Normally, I'd be all over Duke players getting drafted as high as possible, but I really like the idea of Jabari in Philly. It just makes sense to me.
    This. As a KU fan, I really really want Wiggins in Philly. It's not on the Celtics/Lakers tier, but Philly is a Top 10 NBA franchise, with a lot of tradition and a large passionate fanbase. I agree with you that Parker fits better there, and that should be a perennial playoff team shortly, something you can't reliably say about Cleveland/Milwaukee.

It hurts the ego a bit, but so much about this is how these guys fills gaps on the prospective teams. I mean, you might look back in 10 years and be surprised that Parker went third, but he will likely playing a lot in May/June, so you won't really care.

If I could be Cavs GM for a day...

I'm on the phone to Minnesota right now - Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson for Kevin Love. Heck, I'll even throw in Anthony Bennett!

So, Cleveland would have Kyrie, Love, and whichever they want of Wiggins/Embiid/Parker. They would be a super attractive free agent destination for Lebron. Maybe Lebron wants a shotblocking center so you draft Embiid. Maybe he wants a crazy athlete and you take Wiggins. Maybe he wants to shape the next Lebron (almost, a multi-skilled big man) and you draft Parker.

By the way, Kevin Love makes this draft really interesting. Minnesota would trade him straight up for any of the top 3 picks but the drafting teams won make that deal. Would they deal him for #4 #5 or #6? I think the drafting teams would do that but I am not sure Minnesota would -- perhaps for #4 and Exum, but not for the picks that will end up being Smart/Randle/Gordon/Vonleh.

-Jason "the Cavs luck is incredible!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    This. As a KU fan, I really really want Wiggins in Philly. It's not on the Celtics/Lakers tier, but Philly is a Top 10 NBA franchise, with a lot of tradition and a large passionate fanbase. I agree with you that Parker fits better there, and that should be a perennial playoff team shortly, something you can't reliably say about Cleveland/Milwaukee.

It hurts the ego a bit, but so much about this is how these guys fills gaps on the prospective teams. I mean, you might look back in 10 years and be surprised that Parker went third, but he will likely playing a lot in May/June, so you won't really care.
    Yeah, I wouldn't pray for my worst enemy to play in Cleveland (except for UK and UNC players, of course).

That said, I see Wiggins as an amazing fit in Cleveland. They can absolutely use his defense and focus on developing his offense without putting too much pressure on him. Embiid would be a good fit in Cleveland as well, but he's kinda redundant for 1-2 years as long as Varejao is still there.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Seems to me that neither the Lakers or Celtics rebuild via the draft. Both are far more likely to shop their picks for veterans. I bet both try to put together packages including their lottery picks for Kevin Love.
    Normally, I would agree with you but franchise players are difficult to come by outside of the draft and Kobe isn't getting any younger. Rondo is still a great pg but also isn't that young and while he is a great piece, he isn't a franchise player. If there was a year you wanted to have a high draft pick this would seem to be the year so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers or Celtics do some wheeling and dealing to possibly move up a few spots.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    3. Cool to see Kyle
    Yeah, he cleaned up real nice. It's too bad he turned out to be a horrendous good luck charm, and there was more than one Duke alum tied to this disaster.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...first-rou.html

When the Pistons traded Ben Gordon for Corey Maggette a few years back, Detroit got a first round pick that was top 8 protected.

Cleveland's inexplicable jump into the top 3 bumped the Charlotte pick from 8 to 9, so the pick went back to Charlotte. Detroit will get their pick next year.

Stan Van Gundy was seen crying into his shoulder pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yeah, he cleaned up real nice. It's too bad he turned out to be a horrendous good luck charm, and there was more than one Duke alum tied to this disaster.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...first-rou.html

When the Pistons traded Ben Gordon for Corey Maggette a few years back, Detroit got a first round pick that was top 8 protected.

Cleveland's inexplicable jump into the top 3 bumped the Charlotte pick from 8 to 9, so the pick went back to Charlotte. Detroit will get their pick next year.

Stan Van Gundy was seen crying into his shoulder pads.
    As a Pistons fan, I knew that trade would kill us, but the specifics are slightly off. We traded Ben Gordon and OUR 2014 1st rounder to Charlotte for Corey Maggette. So, by Cleveland moving up into the top 3, we fell from 8 to 9 and our top 8 protected pick went to Charlotte.

How off was that trade? We traded a starter and a 1st rounder for Maggette, who I love but wasn't going to start in Detroit. Maggette only lasted a season on the team. When the trade went down, everyone was all over Joe Dumars for the decision (even then, people knew that the 2014 draft would be the deepest in years).

Last night, we had an 82% chance to either be 1-2-3 or 8, but most Pistons fans knew that with our luck, we had a 100% chance of someone below us moving into the top 3 and dropping us to 9 and out of our pick. Our worst fears were confirmed. And of course, it's Cleveland again.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Cavs

There are a lot of moving variables that impact the draft. If I were Cavs management, I'd be talking to Kyrie and Luol right now. Kyrie because of his potential position as a franchise player and the possibility of a max extension. Deng because the question what he wants as a free agent would properly impact whether Jabari is even on the list for them. And I'd ask them, "What do you think about the draft and how might one selection or another affect your thinking?"

One possible play for the Cavs: Let Deng go and sign Jabari instead. Use the difference in salaries to buy a defense (it's close to $10M). I think it's likely that Kyrie will stay at Cleveland, because the max extension offer will be too much to ignore. Team him with Jabari and add some talent by cutting Deng loose?

Another potential play for the Cavs: Re-sign Deng; max extension to Kyrie; draft Wiggins, and dump toxic Deion Waiters (he has value). Let Spencer Hawes and Tyler Zeller cover the post.

It's tough to draw up a scenario that makes the Cavs a big winner next season, but they are in an historic position to get better. If they don't, with all these draft picks, we might as well just light the Cuyahoga on fire again and turn our heads in dismay never to look back.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Normally, I would agree with you but franchise players are difficult to come by outside of the draft and Kobe isn't getting any younger. Rondo is still a great pg but also isn't that young and while he is a great piece, he isn't a franchise player. If there was a year you wanted to have a high draft pick this would seem to be the year so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers or Celtics do some wheeling and dealing to possibly move up a few spots.
    But what makes you (and others who have predicted this) think that the Lakers or Celtics have anything that would interest Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Philadelphia enough to trade their top three pick? Or even Orlando or Utah to trade the 4/5. Do LA or Boston really have any pieces so interesting to a rebuilding franchise who (except for Cleveland) tanked for a whole season just to get where they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But what makes you (and others who have predicted this) think that the Lakers or Celtics have anything that would interest Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Philadelphia enough to trade their top three pick?
    In the case of LA: Girls.

In the case of Boston: Seafood that doesn't glow in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Philly, as of right now, has three assets worth anything: MCW, Thaddeus Young, and Nerlens. All three of these players are flawed, but they are all above-average defensive players. MCW is a steal champion, Young is a great pick-and-roll buster, and Noel can become a defensive anchor (he should it during his lone season and UK). Jabari can be hidden on defense with this current line-up. Also, Jabari's offense would be a God Send to this team of inept offensive players.

Philly can also draft an exciting 2, like LaVine, Hood, or Gary Harris, with their second pick. That would be a strong core in which to build upon for the future.

I would invest in Philly stock right now. It's cheap, but it can only go up!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post

Agree that either Wiggins or Parker would be a great fit for the 76ers.

I'm wondering what happens if they go 1, 2? Do the 76ers pick Embiid?
    Doesn't Embiid overlap substantially with Noel?
    And importantly...can they tell what they have with Noel? A developing star, or injury-plagued and not able to emerge?

Just my guess --- if Jabari and Wiggins are gone, the Sixers look to trade out of the #3 slot.

I am sure I will be proven wrong some day, but my hope is that the Cavs take Embiid, as I think he is the best fit to go along with Kyrie. (I am not convinced Wiggins might not end up being a very athletic bust and Parker+Kyrie=no defense.) And then since the Bucks are such a mess, I hope Parker goes to Philly and is part of a franchise heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If I could be Cavs GM for a day...

I'm on the phone to Minnesota right now - Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson for Kevin Love. Heck, I'll even throw in Anthony Bennett!

So, Cleveland would have Kyrie, Love, and whichever they want of Wiggins/Embiid/Parker. They would be a super attractive free agent destination for Lebron. Maybe Lebron wants a shotblocking center so you draft Embiid. Maybe he wants a crazy athlete and you take Wiggins. Maybe he wants to shape the next Lebron (almost, a multi-skilled big man) and you draft Parker.

Before the Cavs talk trade scenarios with anyone, though, they HAVE to get a coach first. So my first call as GM would be to Calipari. Sell him on the #1 pick, Kyrie, and the possibility of Lebron. We all know that Lebron and Cal are close, and I think Calipari has it so good in KY right now that the only way he'd leave is for a chance at NBA redemption with Lebron.

A fall-back option for the Cavs would be George Karl(not my favorite choice but not terrible, either). He could at least utilize Kyrie's transition and offensive game along with Waiters to score a ton of points and at least sneak into the playoffs next year as 6-8 seed.

In that scenario, I see Parker as the pick(a safe pick to make up for the Bennett disaster last year). Even though Parker and Bennett play the same spot, Bennett is so bad that he'd probably be traded or stuck riding the bench.

The only issue with trading for Love is he only has 1 year left on his deal, so he'd have to agree to an extension before giving up the #1 pick and/or Waiters & co. for him. W/O an agreement, I'd still make a trade offer, but the #1 pick would be off the table.

I know it's fun and easy to pick on the Cavs, but, really, their only a player or two away from respectability.

As a fan of Cleveland sports, I still have hope.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Here in Philadelphia, this is a common topic of conversation. While Embiid and Noel together would be a really formidable defensive tandem, they'd also make the team rather offensively challenged. Also, teaming two injury-plagued guys who essentially play the same position seems a risky recipe.

On the other hand, who would help the 76ers at that point? Exum and Smart play the same position as Carter-Williams, though Randle might be a fit. So possibly trading Embiid/the 3rd pick for Randle/the 5th or 6th pick might make sense, but I'm not sure what Utah or Boston have that would make it worth the Sixers while to trade down. Maybe next year's first round pick? Would Embiid over Randle be worth that much to the Jazz or Celtics? It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Agree that either Wiggins or Parker would be a great fit for the 76ers.

Doesn't Embiid overlap substantially with Noel?
    And importantly...can they tell what they have with Noel? A developing star, or injury-plagued and not able to emerge?

Just my guess --- if Jabari and Wiggins are gone, the Sixers look to trade out of the #3 slot.
    Very interesting...

My guess? They draft Embiid and either a) use him as a trading chip, b) test the Embiid/Nerlens experiment for a year or two (kinda like the Drummond/Monroe experience that has had moderate success), or c) ship Nerlens.

I'd go with b), especially considering that Philly is in no hurry to rebuild (they have publicly stated that this is a multi-year rebuild).

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I would probably take Wiggins at #1, but I think the Bucks will be thrilled to have Parker at 2.

The Cavs are a disaster. They're the only franchise that can take Luol Deng and turn him into a mediocre player - his numbers went down across the board on a worse team. Unfortunately, I'm a Cavs fan, but if I was building a championship roster in the Eastern Conference from scratch, I wouldn't want a single Cavs player on my roster anywhere, including Kyrie. I love the guy, but I think he should leave ASAP and go to the Western Conference where he can run up and down the court and not worry as much about things like defense or toughness. I don't see LeBron coming back unless some major changes occur; they need to blow up the entire roster and start from scratch.
    Half of the top 10 in defensive efficiency resides in the Western Conference. So you may be thinking of some different era.

Assuming that Embid is fully healthy I think he fits the needs of the Cavs the best. Like dutchdevil said, Cleveland desperately needs some sort of defensive presence and Jabari has not shown he can fulfill that need. Embid may not fully fit that bill right now but he has shown the potential. I think Wiggins is a bit of a wildcard in this draft as well. He could be on the level of Paul George, or he could be another Evan Turner.

I don't think there is any sure thing with the top 3 picks. Any or all three could be perennial all-stars or they could go the way of nba journey-men or of course somewhere in between, Jabari included.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

It makes sense for Minny to do a deal for Love this summer rather than get nothing for him next summer. Here are several ways Kevin Love could shape the draft, in order of likelihood:

1. Lakers - This year's #7 and two future #1's plus Pau Gasol in a sign-and-trade deal. Without Gasol, the Lakers do not have enough salary to make the deal work.
    2. Celtics - Rondo and the #6 pick. I dont know that Boston does this deal. That's basically Noah Vonleh/Julius Randle plus Rondo for Love. But Boston does not have a ton of assets.
    3. Philly - #3 pick (Parker or Embiid) plus Thaddeus Young for Love. I dont think Minny would trade Love straight up for a pick.
    4. Cleveland - #1 plus Waiters plus salaries (Varajao) for Love and Kevin Martin. Cleveland makes this move if they are really serious about bring LeBron back. Starting lineup - Irving/Martin Lebron/Thompson/Love. A fine team there.
    5. Houston could trade Lin's expiring, Asik's expiring and their 2014 (#25) or 2015 draft pick for Love. Minny would probably be interested in re-singing Asik. Lin not so much. This deal has the least effect on this year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here in Philadelphia, this is a common topic of conversation. While Embiid and Noel together would be a really formidable defensive tandem, they'd also make the team rather offensively challenged. Also, teaming two injury-plagued guys who essentially play the same position seems a risky recipe.

On the other hand, who would help the 76ers at that point? Exum and Smart play the same position as Carter-Williams, though Randle might be a fit. So possibly trading Embiid/the 3rd pick for Randle/the 5th or 6th pick might make sense, but I'm not sure what Utah or Boston have that would make it worth the Sixers while to trade down. Maybe next year's first round pick? Would Embiid over Randle be worth that much to the Jazz or Celtics? It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    There are a couple options here. First, if you like Exum, he could allow MCW to play off the ball and you'd have a formidably large backcourt. Second, Embiid and Noel would only be on the court together for 16-18 minutes per game assuming they each average 30-32 minutes. Plus you need at least three quality big men in your rotation, if not four.

There is so much unknown today about Embiid's back. This will come into sharper focus in the next few weeks. Embiid could got #1 or he could pull a Noel if his back does not check out or if they limit his MRI's to Cleveland and Philly.

No bad options in Philly...

I dunno about what they do with the pick, but has anyone thought about how insane it is that Cleveland won the lottery again!??!?!

They won the #1 pick last night despite having just a 1.7% chance of getting the top pick.
    They also won the lottery in 2013, a year in which they had just a 15.6% chance of landing the top pick.
    In 2011, they got Kyrie after winning the lottery with a pick they got from the LA Clippers. That pick had just a 2.8% chance of winning the lottery.

So, a little handy work with my calculator shows they had a .0074256% chance to win all three of those #1 picks. Put in language everyone can understand, that's less than 1 in 10,000 chance. Actually, it about a 1 in 13,500 chance.

It is worth noting that in 2012 they were in the lottery with 13.8% chance of getting the top pick but they failed and ended up picking 4th, so the horseshoe did not work that season. Still, to win it 3 out of 4 years -- two of which were crazy small chances -- is just insane.

-Jason "all of the good luck should be tempered by the fact that they used one of those #1 picks on Anthony Bennett, who appears poised to make Michael Olowkandi and Kwame Brown look like solid #1 picks" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno about what they do with the pick, but has anyone thought about how insane it is that Cleveland won the lottery again!??!?!

They won the #1 pick last night despite having just a 1.7% chance of getting the top pick.
    They also won the lottery in 2013, a year in which they had just a 15.6% chance of landing the top pick.
    In 2011, they got Kyrie after winning the lottery with a pick they got from the LA Clippers. That pick had just a 2.8% chance of winning the lottery.

So, a little handy work with my calculator shows they had a .0074256% chance to win all three of those #1 picks. Put in language everyone can understand, that's less than 1 in 10,000 chance. Actually, it about a 1 in 13,500 chance.

It is worth noting that in 2012 they were in the lottery with 13.8% chance of getting the top pick but they failed and ended up picking 4th, so the horseshoe did not work that season. Still, to win it 3 out of 4 years -- two of which were crazy small chances -- is just insane.

-Jason "all of the good luck should be tempered by the fact that they used one of those #1 picks on Anthony Bennett, who appears poised to make Michael Olowkandi and Kwame Brown look like solid #1 picks" Evans
    This post made me go and check on the lottery history to see who has won it the most. The crazy thing is that 2 of the Cavs 5 lottery wins were thanks to picks they got from the Clippers! A truly co-dependent loser relationship.

Cleveland Cavaliers 5
    Los Angeles Clippers 3
    Orlando Magic 3
    Chicago Bulls 2
    Milwaukee Bucks 2
    New Jersey Nets 2
    San Antonio Spurs 2
    Washington Wizards 2
    Charlotte Hornets 1
    Golden State Warriors 1
    Houston Rockets 1
    New Orleans Hornets 1