Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I do think it helps the NCAA Tourney teams, especially the two teams that reach the final. Now Sunday can be a day of rest and relaxation, and they can gather as a team to eat and watch the Selection Show after a day of leisure vs a couple of hours removed from laying it all on the line on the court.
    I think I heard K mention this during this year's tourney. It's a nice ritual for teams to get together, have a meal, and watch the selection show. Plus I have to wonder how much reasoned committee discussion occurs after that Sunday afternoon game and before the brackets are announced. Teams playing on Sunday afternoon have to be kind of penciled in before the games are over. If you're going to ruin my life by making some ill-advised bracket decision, at least sleep on it first.

This also makes for a better basketball weekend. ACC final on Saturday; NCAA selection on Sunday. If Duke's playing in the final, I need more than two hours of decompression to focus on a bracket.

Showing my age

I can remember when the entire State of North Carolina (and some parts of SC/VA/MD) essentially shut down for the ACC Tourney. Lots of folks were "sick" from work on Thursday and/or Friday. Some people would at least consider renting out their first-born to have a chance to attend any ACC Tourney game.

Of course, there were four games (two afternoon, two evening) on Thursday, two games on Friday, and one game on Saturday.

Overall I think it is a positive to have the finals on Saturday night, for several reasons others have cited. But it is obvious the "basketball gods" are now rearranging the leagues/games/broadcasts not necessarily for the fans but more for the $$$ involved.

Alas.

k

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Aw, shucks.

Always liked the Sunday finish into the Selection show a few hours later.

I guess it's not a major change, but still a change. In situations like this, does the conference get paid to change?

- Chillin
    This is how I feel. Disappointing. In fact, my heart dropped an inch or two upon reading this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    This is how I feel. Disappointing. In fact, my heart dropped an inch or two upon reading this news.
    I am kinda the opposite. You beat Carolina for the ACC championship at 4:30. But by 6:00 it is on to the bracket. No time to savor the win.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I am kinda the opposite. You beat Carolina for the ACC championship at 4:30. But by 6:00 it is on to the bracket. No time to savor the win.
    4:30? Where were you watching from, Prince Edward Island?

Anyway, now we have much more time to speculate on which 14-seed we'll lose to.

Probably the ratings aren't good enough. A prime time game is not a bad idea.

A valid point. But I guess I just enjoy the Sunday afternoon game more. There's something classic about it, an understated elegance, in comparison to the run-of-the-mill prime-time game, which, after a season's worth of prime-time games, just doesn't feel all that special. I'm aware that the ACC once played its championship game on a Saturday evening, so it's certainly understandable that many here welcome this change back to the original format. All of my memories, however, are of Duke winning on Sunday, so my sentiments are different.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

They have been played later in the day on Sunday in the not so distant past. I remember a few discussions from TV pundits wondering if the committee was actually waiting for the championship to end or if they had already penned the bracket.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

I'm watching from just south of there. Unfortunately, keeps me from watching the exciting western conference playoff games.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    A valid point. But I guess I just enjoy the Sunday afternoon game more. There's something classic about it, an understated elegance, in comparison to the run-of-the-mill prime-time game, which, after a season's worth of prime-time games, just doesn't feel all that special. I'm aware that the ACC once played its championship game on a Saturday evening, so it's certainly understandable that many here welcome this change back to the original format. All of my memories, however, are of Duke winning on Sunday, so my sentiments are different.
    Yeah, but.

Agree with your sentiment. But the real prize is the NCAA. This certainly helps with seeding and rest. I think we have gotten the short straw a few times because, mid-Sunday afternoon, the ACC seeding for the top few teams weighs on the result of a late game.

Yeah, but.

Agree with your sentiment. But the real prize is the NCAA. This certainly helps with seeding and rest. I think we have gotten the short straw a few times because, mid-Sunday afternoon, the ACC seeding for the top few teams weighs on the result of a late game.
    Eh. A Saturday night game seems about as likely to hurt in seeding as well as help, if you assume that the title game is basically the toss-up that it should be. And I doubt an extra 19 hours of rest has much effect on the team's play a week later.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I can remember when the entire State of North Carolina (and some parts of SC/VA/MD) essentially shut down for the ACC Tourney. Lots of folks were "sick" from work on Thursday and/or Friday. Some people would at least consider renting out their first-born to have a chance to attend any ACC Tourney game.
    I loved being a kid in school and seeing our teacher wheel in a TV into the classroom so we could watch the games.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."