Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA draft camp measurements

I am always interested to see the actual measurements of the kids that go to the Chicago camp. Often kids are two inches shorter than previously stated. I understand that measurements will be taken Thursday and Friday of this week. It usually takes a day or so to get the final published list. They provide interesting information on explosiveness, length and agility as well. We have Jabari and Rodney in there and they should do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I am always interested to see the actual measurements of the kids that go to the Chicago camp. Often kids are two inches shorter than previously stated. I understand that measurements will be taken Thursday and Friday of this week. It usually takes a day or so to get the final published list. They provide interesting information on explosiveness, length and agility as well. We have Jabari and Rodney in there and they should do well.
    Jabari is actually skipping the camp, along with some other projected lottery picks (Wiggins and Embiid--although Embiid may be skipping for medical reasons, rehabbing his back injury).

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Jabari is actually skipping the camp, along with some other projected lottery picks (Wiggins and Embiid--although Embiid may be skipping for medical reasons, rehabbing his back injury).
    If you are a nearly guaranteed top-3 pick (Jabari, Wiggins, Embiid), the NBA Draft Camp can only hurt you. All three players are very smart for missing out on it.

The NBA Draft Camp can only help players who completely flew under the radar (Miles Plumlee) but more often than not hurt players (Shabazz, Austin Rivers to a certian extent).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It's a shame so many top players skip the combine, because whenever you hear things like "this guy has the biggest vertical in the history of the combine," it's kind of a tainted stat.

I'm not sure Jabari would have put up great numbers, so I agree it's a wise move for him to skip. Everybody knows the guy can play.

Won't he still be measured there?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's a shame so many top players skip the combine, because whenever you hear things like "this guy has the biggest vertical in the history of the combine," it's kind of a tainted stat.

I'm not sure Jabari would have put up great numbers, so I agree it's a wise move for him to skip. Everybody knows the guy can play.
    I may be misremembering, but I thought a number of those who skipped came in for measurements -- height, reach, etc.

Looking at the 2013 draft, the only one who skipped measurements was Anthony Bennett, although Alex Len had some "NULL" entries.

Sagegrouse
    'Or as we used to say about the old Durham dive, The Null and Void, -- "null now, void later."'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Won't he still be measured there?
    That is a really good question, and I'm not sure of the answer. That was what I originally assumed, but then after I saw the report about Jabari and the two Kansas players skipping, I saw another report about Doug McDermott, which said he would probably only go for measurements, though he is still on the list. There seem to be a lot of players who attend but only do measurements and/or interviews, without drills, so I'm thinking players who are skipping are really skipping the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Jabari missing the Combine makes sense. Wiggins doesn't. Wiggins seems to be the most athletic player in the class. Wouldn't you want to highlight that?

Then again, may be Wiggins isn't and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jabari missing the Combine makes sense. Wiggins doesn't. Wiggins seems to be the most athletic player in the class. Wouldn't you want to highlight that?

Then again, may be Wiggins isn't and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag...
    Maybe. But if you knew you were likely going to be drafted top three, and thus had the luxury of scheduling private workouts/interviews with the teams that were interested in you, instead of going to a giant meat market, wouldn't that be an appealing option?

Maybe. But if you knew you were likely going to be drafted top three, and thus had the luxury of scheduling private workouts/interviews with the teams that were interested in you, instead of going to a giant meat market, wouldn't that be an appealing option?
    What if the top 3 are Philly, Milwaukee and Detroit? Meat market sounds pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What if the top 3 are Philly, Milwaukee and Detroit? Meat market sounds pretty good
    Well, if the meat market could convince some other team to trade enough to get a top pick and rescue you, then I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I may be misremembering, but I thought a number of those who skipped came in for measurements -- height, reach, etc.

Looking at the 2013 draft, the only one who skipped measurements was Anthony Bennett, although Alex Len had some "NULL" entries.

Sagegrouse
    'Or as we used to say about the old Durham dive, The Null and Void, -- "null now, void later."'
    Yeah in the past, top players still came to the combine for measurements. They would skip the strength and skill drills and the games. It's strange that all three would completely skip the event.

We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yeah in the past, top players still came to the combine for measurements. They would skip the strength and skill drills and the games. It's strange that all three would completely skip the event.
    Only a couple of days before the measurements are available and the question of whether the skippers do just measurements will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    ... the question of whether the skippers do just measurements will be answered.
    In this day of enlightenment, are we allowed to use such words?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Will they be answering the questionnaire regarding their diet?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Good thing none of Wiggins's KU games were on national TV this year.[/sarcasm]

Being serious for a moment, there's a rumor going around that Wiggins tweaked his lower back or hamstring and wants to get fully healthy for his workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Good thing none of Wiggins's KU games were on national TV this year.[/sarcasm]

Being serious for a moment, there's a rumor going around that Wiggins tweaked his lower back or hamstring and wants to get fully healthy for his workouts.
    Wiggins submits for the record, his ESPN Sports Science clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJQNaKczLY

This ESPN article leaves me with the impression that they will not be doing measurements either. Mainly b/c they point out that Doug McDermott will be doing measurements, but not anything else and they dont use the same language for the Wiggings/Parker/Embiid...they simply say they are skipping.

More details

There is an article out about the incredible shrinking players. I tried to post the link but it looked like gibberish. Being 73 makes it a chore for me to do the linking, but it was from ESPN.

Also the question was answered regarding whether the three top picks (including Jabari) will submit to measurements. They will not!

http://stats.nba.com/draftCombineAnt...owsPerPage=100

I'm not sure if these are official, but they are from the combine. You can also scroll through and see how they did on the shooting and speed drills. I thought Dre was there, but I don't see his name anywhere.