Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    FO is a three man team effort, although the actual draw is the most important part. Fowler will be missed, but Will Haus (assuming Laura Keeley is correct) and Brian Dailey/Jamie Ikeda will return. The post-draw ground ball game will remain in good hands.

Next year will be a challenge but I expect the team to be competitive. Losing all the long poles with significant playing time to graduation will hurt. Our close defense has been pretty good. While our goalies have not always had the greatest save percentage, we usually hold the opponents to significantly fewer shots on goal. (Note how Turri only faced TWO shot on goal in 24+ minutes against Hopkins.) But let's enjoy this championship for a while.
    I think you are generally right about the ground balls, although Duke will lose a little bit of intimidation factor with the much smaller Brian Dailey or somewhat smaller (and 30 lbs. lighter) Jamie Ikeda instead of Luke Duprey. But the actual face-off guy is clearly the key issue.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    For the first time ever, there are co-winners of the Tewaaraton Award, given to the outstanding player in college lacrosse.

Brothers Lyle and Miles Thompson of Albany share the award. Hard to imagine a more fitting outcome.

Taylor Cummings of Maryland wins the women's award.
    Fitting in some ways, but really, as good as Miles is, Lyle deserved to win it alone. His performance this year has been astonishing.

Tough for Jordan Wolf, who in many years would win hands down. But I'm guessing he wouldn't trade his championship ring for a Tewaaraton.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan's number 31 join numbers 22 (Ned Crotty) and 40 (Matt Danowski) as "unofficially retired."

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan's number 31 join numbers 22 (Ned Crotty) and 40 (Matt Danowski) as "unofficially retired."
    That would seem completely fitting, with or without the Tewaaraton.

I tell you whose number they need to retire. #21 Zachary Peter Howell. He's number 1 on other lists...

Seriously though, 4 star HS QB recruit, Tewaarton finalist and that kid was the man.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Yeah, I have to say (again, as the most casual of Lacrosse fans, that knows the teams but not the coaches) the behavior of the Denver and ND coaches was pretty egregious. I mean, the ND coach's behavior yesterday made Gary Williams look like Gandhi. He was flipping out over the tiniest details. Obviously, Danowski is not like that, but I wonder... was Pressler?
    Pressler was pretty cool. But NObody is as cool as Dano.
    Love, Ima

I would like to see some "officially retired" numbers. In lots of sports.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I tell you whose number they need to retire. #21 Zachary Peter Howell. He's number 1 on other lists...

Seriously though, 4 star HS QB recruit, Tewaarton finalist and that kid was the man.
    With all due respect, I don't see it.

Howell was never a Tewaaraton finalist. He was a third-team A-A once, and was never All-ACC. He's not in the top ten in career scoring at Duke. His best single season (70 points in 2010) doesn't rank in the top ten at Duke. He benefited enormously from the attention that opposing defenses gave to Crotty and Qunizani.

He was a quality player, but far from an all-time great.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I would like to see some "officially retired" numbers. In lots of sports.
    Coach Danowski's Twitter account has been reactivated for the summer. Tweet him and suggest that there should be some banners hanging on the fences at Koskinen.

With all due respect, I don't see it.

Howell was never a Tewaaraton finalist. He was a third-team A-A once, and was never All-ACC. He's not in the top ten in career scoring at Duke. His best single season (70 points in 2010) doesn't rank in the top ten at Duke. He benefited enormously from the attention that opposing defenses gave to Crotty and Qunizani.

He was a quality player, but far from an all-time great.
    Yes, agreed--and the most notable list he was number 1 on isn't the kind that gets your jersey in the rafters.

Coach Danowski's Twitter account has been reactivated for the summer. Tweet him and suggest that there should be some banners hanging on the fences at Koskinen.
    I think we need to start with Kevin White. I'm not just limiting this to the 4 teams that play in Koskinen.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa