Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fargo TV series

Have watched Fargo for both seasons. This year is as good as last year. Other than BBCA "The Last Kingdom" this is my favorite show now on cable tv.

oh ya, it's been wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Um, I guess my use of that word chronologically might be perplexing. What I meant was that the events depicted in season 2 occurred (i.e., "occurred") 27 years prior to the events depicted in season 1.

But your word should be added to our telelexicon, definitely. Myself, I'm pushing redundundant. I'll vote for your word if you'll vote for mine.
    It's the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    It's the Department of Redundancy Department.
    You've said that before

Heads up. Tonight's episode is somewhat longer than usual. Great title: "Did you do this? No, you did it!"

And it's been renewed for a third season!

http://www.slashfilm.com/fargo-season-3/

I thought the opening segment in the latest episode was absolutely terrific.

jeepers, no comments on the latest episode? I thought it was outstanding, quite a change of pace from director Adam Arkin. Even a bit of
    a guest piece from Martin Freeman. Some pretty superb TV this...

Bump. Finale tonight.

More precisely, season finale tonight, as there will be a season 3.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/03/fargo-season-3

IMO, this has been an excellent season! Very strong actors, great characters, and solid writing have made it one of my favorite 2015 shows.

I'm still amazed this is based upon truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, this has been an excellent season! Very strong actors, great characters, and solid writing have made it one of my favorite 2015 shows.

I'm still amazed this is based upon truth.
    Ha, you can forget about the truth part. That canard was included in the original film, and the Coen lads stuck with it for a while...but
    eventually they fessed up. Just a tip of the hat to the original when they continue to call it true.

I'm just amazed they can tell a similar story each year, yet keep it fresh and interesting.

Definitely agree, it's been a great 2015 show.

Just getting caught up - plowed through season one (God, Billy Bob just owns his screen time) and getting started on season two.

Great, great television.

Billy Bob makes season one the same way James Spader makes "Blacklist."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just getting caught up - plowed through season one (God, Billy Bob just owns his screen time) and getting started on season two.

Great, great television.

Billy Bob makes season one the same way James Spader makes "Blacklist."
    I thought season one was terrific...and season two even better...

Wife and I just finished plowing through Season 2 on DVR (we waited until it was all recorded and over with before starting), and thought it was an excellent follow-up from season 1.

Loved the little flash-forward cameos at the beginning of the finale! Also still a bit confused over the who UFO situation, but I'm willing to just roll with it.

Also did not realize until I read online that it's basically confirmed Hanzee becomes the season 1 crime boss whom Malvo eventually guns down. Also saw speculation the two kids he saves near the end become Mr. Numbers & Mr. Wrench - but that could just be coincidence looking for a connection...

Finished season two last night. Loved the Coen brother echoes... (Mike Mulligan's "friendo" use, a la No Country, the "but still I dreamed further" sequence from Raising Arizona)

I will be doing some internet research to see how many references I missed.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 01-09-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: fat fingers, tiny phone

Above, there is a great deal of better analysis of the two Fargo seasons than I could undertake. Still, I just finished both seasons--not quite on a binge, but close. (Thanks Roku and Hulu/FXNow.) I'm pretty sure I haven't been sucked into something like this ever before. I know that others (including Mrs. Jim3k) who religiously follow TV series, get sucked into a variety of episodic shows. And from time to time I will watch a few episodes. But this is a grabber; you need them all in order.

Back in the '90s I had loved the movie Fargo, starring Frances McDormand, as one of the best dark comedies of all time, so I was skeptical about how good the TV series could be. Unlike the movie, this is not exactly a comedy. Dark, for sure, but you gotta laugh at Lester and behold Malvo as a wondrous, murderous son of a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Allison Tolman, not exactly Frances McDormand, keeps you holding your breath as she overcomes the stupidity of Bob Odenkirk. Yeah, the first season is really dark as the sociopaths do their work. But they are so over the top that muffled laughter is not far off. (Did they really kill someone that way? I've never seen that method before.)

The second season is much bloodier than the first. But the characters make so many blunders, just like William H. Macy in the movie, that you just have to laugh, or at least stifle it. (Why did Kirsten Dunst do the hit and run? But her airhead character did, and without it, there would be neither season 1 nor season 2. Just dumb, but brilliant.)

These are stunning, yet unheard of, tales from the shallow end of the gene pool. But, as the Coen brothers say: This is a true story... Oh wait, they're not. They tricked us with that, but make a real point at the same time: you are allowed to suspend your disbelief. If these characters were brainy, they'd have no story. I'm looking forward to season 3.

Don't know if season 2 can be streamed any more. FXNow said it was expiring, probably to go to subscription. But Hulu is cheap. Still, if you can watch one episode per night, starting with season 1, you can get a month's worth of outstanding TV.

This is my favorite show on commercial TV. Saul and Americans are a distant 2nd, and very distant 3rd. I was skeptical at first having liked the Fargo movie so much but the reboot each season with new characters keeps it fresh, not feeling strung along because ratings are good and the story must continue. Ewan McGregor has been amazing so far. Our new MN cop is great, and the creepy British businessman is, creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    This is my favorite show on commercial TV. Saul and Americans are a distant 2nd, and very distant 3rd. I was skeptical at first having liked the Fargo movie so much but the reboot each season with new characters keeps it fresh, not feeling strung along because ratings are good and the story must continue. Ewan McGregor has been amazing so far. Our new MN cop is great, and the creepy British businessman is, creepy.
    McGregor's brothers (either of them) haven't really captured me so far. But I do like the crazy bridge-playing girlfriend, the chief (or maybe not chief), and the oversharing gal pal cop that was just introduced in the last episode.

Of the 3 shows you ranked, I have them like this, right now: Saul >>> Fargo > Americans

Saul is really the only show that I'm anticipating every week with delight. But that can change at anytime with Fargo and The Americans. With Fargo, I do think there's great potential for the rest of the season with what they've set up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    With Fargo, I do think there's great potential for the rest of the season with what they've set up so far.
    IMO, this has definitely been the weakest Fargo season, so far. The first two were awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, this has definitely been the weakest Fargo season, so far. The first two were awesome!
    Yeah, but I do wonder had Season 3 been Season 1 and Season 1 been Season 3, if we wouldn't STILL be complaining about the dropoff in Season 3.

I think a lot of the perceived drop in quality might just be that we're reaching the limits of telling the same story (thematically, tonally, etc) over and over again and just mixing and matching characters. The drop is like 80% that and 20%, as mentioned, the Stussy brothers just not being that compelling yet, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Saul is really the only show that I'm anticipating every week with delight. But that can change at anytime with Fargo and The Americans.
    It changed for The Americans last night, in fact.