Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lakers need a coach

and once again Coach K's name is mentioned.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...#axzz30TWzdulk

Maybe he will want to have more than one year with his best players.

SoCal

Waiting for my call....

He's basically said he has 5 years left in him. He's turned the NBA down multiple times but still scratched his NBA itch with Team USA. Just wishful thinking and an obvious name for reporters to just throw on the table. I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    He's basically said he has 5 years left in him.
    Ummm, no he hasn't. He has said he has "at least" five years left. He could have move. He says this pretty much every year as a way of indicating to his recruits that he will be there for their entire careers should they choose Duke. For some reasons, his most recent "at least 5 years" statement got more attention than usual and now some folks think he is on a clock -- that next year will be 4, the year after will be 3, and so on.

I don't think that is anywhere close to the truth. K has not decided today that he will want to stop coaching in 5 years. Someday, his passion for teaching and molding young men will be gone and that is when he will stop. Predicting that exact date is almost impossible.

-Jason "I bet it is more like 7-10 years until he is finished... and it will certainly be after Jim Boeheim has retired" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I bet it is more like 7-10 years until he is finished... and it will certainly be after Jim Boeheim has retired" Evans
    Yeah, having come this far, I can't see K leave everything he has built for what will likely be a miserable job with little security (he can just ask his USA assistant coach Mike D), only to watch Boeheim quickly pass K for the wins title.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Yeah, having come this far, I can't see K leave everything he has built for what will likely be a miserable job with little security (he can just ask his USA assistant coach Mike D), only to watch Boeheim quickly pass K for the wins title.
    Not that quickly ... K leads Boeheim 983-948 ... that's a 35 win gap.

While it's possible that Boeheim could close the gap with one extra season, it's extremely unlikely -- Boeheim has never won more than 31 games in a season. More likely would be that he needs two seasons to catch and pass K.

Add in the fact that Boeheim is two years older than Coach K and it's going to be tough for him to outlast K. It would take an unexpected health issue -- or something like K going to the Lakers right now -- for Boeheim to catch and pass K.

Per ESPN they plan to reach out to both Cal and Ollie.

GO, CAL, GO! You have showtime written all over you. Please, just go.

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

While it's possible that Boeheim could close the gap with one extra season, it's extremely unlikely -- Boeheim has never won more than 31 games in a season. More likely would be that he needs two seasons to catch and pass K.

Add in the fact that Boeheim is two years older than Coach K and it's going to be tough for him to outlast K. It would take an unexpected health issue -- or something like K going to the Lakers right now -- for Boeheim to catch and pass K.
    Okay, so we agree that Coach K leaving this summer for the Lakers would be on the short list of "things that lead to Boeheim claiming the wins crown."

Given the general feeling that K's record will last for a while, I'd say closing the gap in less that two full seasons is pretty quick, but I think the point stands: why would K bail now and leave so much behind, while gaining so little?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Per ESPN they plan to reach out to both Cal and Ollie.

GO, CAL, GO! You have showtime written all over you. Please, just go.

LINK
    Calipari coaching Ryan Kelly? Seem a bit creepy to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Calipari coaching Ryan Kelly? Seem a bit creepy to anyone else?
    Yeah, good point. Well, at least Ryan would get to meet Drake.

However much I love Ryan, and however creepy that would be for him, I still think Cal in the college game is creepier.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

However much I love Ryan, and however creepy that would be for him, I still think Cal in the college game is creepier.
    No argument from me.

Didn't Rex Chapman tweet right after the NCAA final that Calipari to the Lakers was a "done deal," or something to that effect? Maybe he knew more than we gave him credit for.

Would love to see Coach Calipari back in the pros, and out of the NCAA. But could his ego stand another bruising similar to his stay with the Nets?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

... I don't think it's particularly far fetched that Boeheim passes k one day. the variance around retirement age for college hoops coaches is pretty large vs the 2 seasons it would take. boeheim is at the peak of his success. Who's to say he's not one of those guys who won't stop until he physically can't do it? And even if both went this road, the difference between k and boeheim would more likely be their genetic predisposition towards the challenges of aging, not the measly two year difference in their actual ages.

Kevin Ollie is the hottest name on the pro circuit these days. Everyone wants him, both because he just won the national title and because he has a close relationship with Kevin Durant. Ollie made a huge impact on Durant during a short stint with OKC a few years ago. With many folks convinced Durant will opt to become a free agent in the summer of 2016, teams are eager to get Ollie in place so they can begin building a perfect landing spot for KD.

-Jason "if the Thunder lose in the first round, Brooks could get fired and Ollie would be the A#1 choice to replace him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cal trying to do damage control already...

Before it starts, I'm totally committed to helping this group of young men reach their dreams. I wouldn't & couldn't leave this group!
    — John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) May 1, 2014

Jason "if the Thunder lose in the first round, Brooks could get fired and Ollie would be the A#1 choice to replace him" Evans

Doubt if Brooks gets fired. He's a really fine coach, well-liked by his players, and really well-liked by the people in Oklahoma City.

It's a thought..

I would like to see Kareem's name in the mix, I think he would make a great coach.
    He certainly know's the game, is articulate and has a commanding presence.
    He once indicated he would be interested in the Buc's job, if he is still interested in coaching,
    the Laker's would be a great fit.

Just sayin..
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Lakers Next Year

I am not a super Laker fan or follower.

Laker fans I know say:
    Next they should stink. Nash and Kobe are old and coming off injuries. Lots of other problems.
    So whomever is the coach, then they need to realize next year will be tough.

Evidently they will have cap space in two years and a good draft pick.
    Rebuild quickly with a star or two - Lebron?

I am not buying into it. They have too many old guys and few good young ones.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    ... Doubt if Brooks gets fired. He's a really fine coach, well-liked by his players, and really well-liked by the people in Oklahoma City.
    And KD was well-liked too. Things change. Today, The Oklahoman headline called him "Mr. Unreliable."