A legitimate question for the moderators

Dear Moderators,

I think I speak for everybody when I say that I am extremely appreciative for the work that you all do to create, maintain, and keep this site one of the best forums on the internet. i frequently hear a sports/news story and then come to DBR to hear the thoughts of (usually) informed persons of high intellect. Between the attorneys, physicians, scientists, and generally knowledgeable people who post here, DBR has become on of my places to help filter the noise of the news, Twitter, Facebook, etc...

So, to my point. I am somewhat disappointing that you decided to close the "Donald Sterling" thread. Reading that thread was actually where I first got detailed info and analysis of the story. I know, I live under a rock (what do you expect? I am a pre-tenure academic professor). I understand that the King Forum should not stray into public policy, but this particular story, just like the UNC scandal, is at the intersection of sports, race, class, etc... How do you discuss one (in these particular stories) without the other? With the PPB no longer in existence (and has not been for years), how do you decide what is and is not allowable before closing a thread of that nature? This is your board, understandably, but I am not sure what in the Sterling thread caused it to cross any (major) lines.

Since you closed the thread, I was under the impression that all things DS related were off limits. but then I see JD King's (informative) article, with comments open, and I guess I am receiving/inferring a mixed message. I am just looking to understand your thought process. If this would have been better as a private message, then my apologies, and feel free to respond privately and close this thread. However, I thought others may be interested in your answer.

Best,

Black Mambo
    Pratt '00

Edit: Yes, I have already read the Notes section of Post #3 under Decorum and Posting Guidelines.

Black Mambo, you certainly deserve a reply from the moderators, and I would like to see that reply. However, that could raise up another debate, so I won't hold my breath. Good luck.

I agree with Black Mambo. I thought it was a useful and informative thread and a chance for the lawyers and the business folks to joust with each other. Besides, it's the off-season. At least there is substance here, as well as ongoing events including an NBA announcement in a couple of hours.

On the other hand, we could all spend our time debating about whether Jabari is or will be the best Duke player ever, the discussion of which being, of necessity, 99.9 percent air.

Kindly,

Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

As someone who is not a moderator but publicly called for the closing of the thread, I'll take a crack at things...

I'd argue that it is as best only peripherally a sports story, and the only Duke connections I can think of are: Danny Ferry refusing to play for the Clippers his rookie season, Elton Brand's tumultuous days as a Clipper, and whatever is happening with JJ there right now. None of these were being discussed in the thread. Instead, it's a very volatile social topic, which is both interesting and potentially explosive and emotional. There's nothing wrong with discussing hot social/political topics, but it's not something that needs to be discussed and/or moderated on a Duke basketball message board. There are plenty of other venues where people can throw mud at each other.

At any rate, if I were a moderator, I would probably shut the topic down rather than have to try and moderate as the conversation goes further and further down the spiral of murky territory. It's a tough enough job trying to moderate the true basketball topics on here.

All of this is to say - the moderators here do an excellent job at maintaining decorum and keeping the peace on basketball topics. To expect them to try and do the same for more charged social issues is too much.

Having said all that, if Danny Ferry or Elton Brand or JJ goes on record with some comments, I would love to see it opened again.

/My 2 cents
    //Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Black Mambo, you certainly deserve a reply from the moderators...
    Discussions are in progress...standby.
    Bob Green

The mods are talking about what to do with the Sterling thread. There are some concerns about the direction it has taken. Whether we decide to reopen it or not, we will post our rationale so the community can see our point of view. We try to always operate in an open and honest fashion and appreciate your patience with our decisions.

Thanks to all who have said kind things about the mod team in this thread. Our goal, as always, is to make the DBR the best fan site on the internet. The moderator part of that is only a tiny, tiny piece of the puzzle. All of you are 99% of our success and we thank you.

-Jason "I expect we will have a decision about reopening or permanently closing the Sterling thread in less than a week " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    As someone who is not a moderator but publicly called for the closing of the thread, I'll take a crack at things...

I'd argue that it is as best only peripherally a sports story, and the only Duke connections I can think of are: Danny Ferry refusing to play for the Clippers his rookie season, Elton Brand's tumultuous days as a Clipper, and whatever is happening with JJ there right now. None of these were being discussed in the thread. Instead, it's a very volatile social topic, which is both interesting and potentially explosive and emotional. There's nothing wrong with discussing hot social/political topics, but it's not something that needs to be discussed and/or moderated on a Duke basketball message board. There are plenty of other venues where people can throw mud at each other.

At any rate, if I were a moderator, I would probably shut the topic down rather than have to try and moderate as the conversation goes further and further down the spiral of murky territory. It's a tough enough job trying to moderate the true basketball topics on here.

All of this is to say - the moderators here do an excellent job at maintaining decorum and keeping the peace on basketball topics. To expect them to try and do the same for more charged social issues is too much.

Having said all that, if Danny Ferry or Elton Brand or JJ goes on record with some comments, I would love to see it opened again.

/My 2 cents
    //Go Duke!
    No offense and with all due respect....but if we take your line of reasoning, then why post about the UNC scandal (as Black Mambo mentioned) and other non-Duke basketball (or basketball-related topics in general) topics that are regularly posted on this site. I would contend that the UNC scandal has plenty of charged social/economic issues in it; and we talk about them freely for the most part. I would love to get all of the former Duke players' (that have played for the Clippers) take on Sterling and the current situation. I would especially love to hear from Grant since Doc Rivers mentioned that Grant had a very positive influence on him choosing to agree to be the coach of the Clippers. I understand and agree that we would not want the thread to devolve into murky depths and it's a lot to ask of the mods; but at the same time, the moderators in the past have done a wonderful job of taking liberties to monitor such situations and clean things up by deleting posts without closing the thread. The mods have done an excellent job of maintaining this forum; and I too look forward to the moderators response. Thanks BM for creating this thread topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    No offense and with all due respect....but if we take your line of reasoning, then why post about the UNC scandal (as Black Mambo mentioned) and other non-Duke basketball (or basketball-related topics in general) topics that are regularly posted on this site. I would contend that the UNC scandal has plenty of charged social/economic issues in it; and we talk about them freely for the most part. I would love to get all of the former Duke players' (that have played for the Clippers) take on Sterling and the current situation. I would especially love to hear from Grant since Doc Rivers mentioned that Grant had a very positive influence on him choosing to agree to be the coach of the Clippers. I understand and agree that we would not want the thread to devolve into murky depths and it's a lot to ask of the mods; but at the same time, the moderators in the past have done a wonderful job of taking liberties to monitor such situations and clean things up by deleting posts without closing the thread. The mods have done an excellent job of maintaining this forum; and I too look forward to the moderators response. Thanks BM for creating this thread topic.
    Well, for one, anything UNC basketball related is instantly Duke basketball related. They are intertwined for all of eternity, and whenever bad things happen to UNC, it's good for Duke fans.

The Donald Sterling debate was valid, but probably belongs in the general discussion forum. It has little to nothing about Duke players and is a potentially hot button topic that kind of borders on general and public policy.

I personally think it was a healthy debate, but it didn't necessarily belong in this particular section of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Oh, I wasn't being facetious about the topic not involving Duke players. I truly would be interested to hear Elton, Danny, Grant, Austin Rivers - whoever - weigh in. At that point it seems it would become at least peripherally relevant to Duke basketball. Barring that, I agree it belongs in the off topic section.

As to the UNC scandal - I agree that it's shades of gray. Not sure of where to draw the line, I just certainly don't blame the moderators for not wanting to have to hand out infractions, delete postings, etc for this particular discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Well, for one, anything UNC basketball related is instantly Duke basketball related. They are intertwined for all of eternity, and whenever bad things happen to UNC, it's good for Duke fans.

The Donald Sterling debate was valid, but probably belongs in the general discussion forum. It has little to nothing about Duke players and is a potentially hot button topic that kind of borders on general and public policy.

I personally think it was a healthy debate, but it didn't necessarily belong in this particular section of the forums.
    I hear what you're saying and you may be right in where this topic should belong; my point was simply that this forum has posted many non-basketball (some of which were non-sports related) but had a Duke connection; and considering that there were several former Duke players that have played for Sterlings's Clippers, I can see why the Sterling page was created. That's all....

Ask a legitimate question and you will get a legitimate answer...

The thread has been reopened. My explanation of the mod team's actions and decisions can be found here.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. It helps...

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ask a legitimate question and you will get a legitimate answer...

The thread has been reopened. My explanation of the mod team's actions and decisions can be found here.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. It helps...

-Jason
    You rock Jason. Thanks for re-opening, and more so for the explanation.