Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Okafor best college big man since Tim Duncan?

"I'm not saying Okafor is going to be Tim Duncan because that wouldn't be fair. Duncan is one of the best big men to ever play basketball at any level, but Okafor is going to be the best pure center that the college game has seen in quite some time."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nce-tim-duncan

I hope Emeka lives up to the hype. Oh wait ...

Actually, if there is any karmic justice, Jahlil will foul out all of UConn's big men in the national semifinals.

Yes. It's beyond argument at this point.

he would have to play four years to be comparable.

We should table this discussion until the summer between Okafor's junior and senior season.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I hope Emeka lives up to the hype. Oh wait ...

Actually, if there is any karmic justice, Jahlil will foul out all of UConn's big men in the national semifinals.
    nah...ollie took a page out of calhoun's book and benches his guys with 2 fouls until the end of the half...regardless of how early they pick up their second...perhaps even but 3 minutes into the game!
    April 1

So long as the bar is being set so unrealistically low... I hear Okafor has Russell's hands, Iverson's feet, Allen's jumper and Olajuwon's dexterity... you know, realistic expectations that are in no way driven to obtain web page hits.

As an aside, I heard Grayson Allen can dunk from crosscourt like the players in the video game NBA Jam.

A one-and-done can be the best since Tim Duncan before he starts playing? Where does like a guy like Anthony Davis fit in? Guess Okafor's better than him too. Time to get my Duke 2015 National champs facial tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We should table this discussion until the summer between Okafor's junior and senior season.
    It's further proof that the game has passed K by - why hasn't Okafor's jersey been retired yet?

I just hope he isn't a preseason first team All-American and doesn't self-designate a cool nickname like uh, Falcon or something.

Jahlil Okafor is what Willis was talking about.

Chuck Norris tried to drop kick Okafor but came away crying instead.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Agreeing with others that say it should not be up for debate until he gives us a few years, although I think 1999ballboy's tattoo ought to include "Okafor, Best Ever" underneath it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    "I'm not saying Okafor is going to be Tim Duncan because that wouldn't be fair. Duncan is one of the best big men to ever play basketball at any level, but Okafor is going to be the best pure center that the college game has seen in quite some time."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nce-tim-duncan
    Yeah, but how will he compare to Patrick Davidson?

Timmy Duncan has been dreading this annointment for years. He at least hoped that the new Duncan would be a Deacon. Sorry, Tim. And I would have settled for the new Gminski! With a longer neck, of course.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Honestly I don't think anyone will ever have the four-year career that Duncan had, because no one stays that long. But if you want to compare Okafor's year to Duncan's freshman year, I think that's a reasonable expectation. Could it be as good as Duncan's senior year? That's pretty lofty and not fair to EXPECT, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yeah, but how will he compare to Patrick Davidson?
    I get the Duncan comparisons, but Patrick Davidson? Come on... you don't compare Hercules to Zeus, do you?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I get the Duncan comparisons, but Patrick Davidson? Come on... you don't compare Hercules to Zeus, do you?
    Well, you have a point--no fair putting that burden on a frosh, before we even know if he can leap tall buildings with a single bound.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Sure you do, because the analogy works. Hercules was the son of Zeus. We are all Patrick Davidson's children.

Memory is a little fuzzy, but I recall that Tim Duncan wasn't that big of a deal coming in. I remember some paper (Winston-Salem Journal?) had a blurb comparing the incoming freshmen before his first year at Wake. He came in the same class as Rasheed Wallace. Most other players had lists of awards and accolades. His line went something like 'Center from the Virgin Islands'...

The beginning of his first year wasn't that notable, if I recall. But I think he developed into a decent player.

Look at his wikipedia page if you get a chance, particularly the Wake Forest part.