Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Disappointing start for the Bulls. Boozer played very well. Actually, both of Chicago's PFs played well, combining for 23 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 blocks while shooting 9-16 from the field). Dunleavy did not fare so well, shooting just 4-12 and losing track of Ariza on numerous occasions.

Ultimately, though, it was the Bulls' inability to defend Nene and Gortat (39 points, 21 rebounds, 17-27 FG) inside and Andre Miller (5-7 FG) outside that did them in.

They'll look to recover on Tuesday in essentially a must-win game (can't go down 2-0 at home and hope to survive).

It's not looking good for the Bulls though. Washington is a terrible matchup as they have terrific interior play to mitigate the Bulls' usual edge inside.
    Happy to hear that Carlos and Mike are still on the Bulls' roster. I saw only the Washington rally in the 4th quarter, and neither made an appearance. They couldn't have done worse than the players on the court.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The Memphis-OKC game was nuts. Not super well played in the last 3-4 minutes plus overtime, but some ridiculous plays (Kevin Durant's prayer of a four-point play in particular) and super-intense basketball. Every time down the court OKC had to fight a mini-war against Tony Allen to get the ball into Durant's hands (which sometimes led to Russell Westbrook taking the easy way out and shooting but also completely took the Thunder out of any offensive flow). On the other end of the court, Memphis ran a series of sets designed to get Z-Bo the ball in space on the left block with ~8 seconds left on the shot clock and just let him do his thing - he got 6 of their 8 shots in overtime, scored 8 points, and outscored the Thunder by himself in the extra frame.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

... The Bullets, with a healthy Nene, are suddenly a very interesting team in the East...
    Was this deliberate, or a reflex? Aren't they called the Wizards these days??
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The Memphis-OKC game was nuts. Not super well played in the last 3-4 minutes plus overtime, but some ridiculous plays (Kevin Durant's prayer of a four-point play in particular) and super-intense basketball. Every time down the court OKC had to fight a mini-war against Tony Allen to get the ball into Durant's hands (which sometimes led to Russell Westbrook taking the easy way out and shooting but also completely took the Thunder out of any offensive flow). On the other end of the court, Memphis ran a series of sets designed to get Z-Bo the ball in space on the left block with ~8 seconds left on the shot clock and just let him do his thing - he got 6 of their 8 shots in overtime, scored 8 points, and outscored the Thunder by himself in the extra frame.
    Yeah, that was my favorite game of these young playoffs so far. I guess the two other candidates for best game would be Clippers-Warriors Game 1 and the Rockets-Blazers OT game, but as entertaining as those games were, this one had the feeling of all-around fierce competence from both teams, of offenses managing to execute against intense, high-level resistance on defense, which wasn't the case in the other games. I was very impressed with Memphis and new coach David Joerger. In previous seasons, I don't believe Memphis would've been able to consistently execute intricate offense to win last night's game. He's a coach to keep an eye on for sure.

Joerger has Memphis looking like the better, tougher, smarter team through two games. I'd hate to bet against Durant, though. Will be interesting to see how the series resolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, that was my favorite game of these young playoffs so far. I guess the two other candidates for best game would be Clippers-Warriors Game 1 and the Rockets-Blazers OT game, but as entertaining as those games were, this one had the feeling of all-around fierce competence from both teams, of offenses managing to execute against intense, high-level resistance on defense, which wasn't the case in the other games. I was very impressed with Memphis and new coach David Joerger. In previous seasons, I don't believe Memphis would've been able to consistently execute intricate offense to win last night's game. He's a coach to keep an eye on for sure.

Joerger has Memphis looking like the better, tougher, smarter team through two games. I'd hate to bet against Durant, though. Will be interesting to see how the series resolves.
    The play that freed up Z-Bo for the layup with about 20 seconds left was excellent. Not a lot of coaches would draw up action for Tony Allen, and it worked doubly well when Serge Ibaka for some reason decided that leaving Randolph alone 5 feet from the hoop to double Tony Allen was preferable to letting Allen shoot a contested runner.

Not a lot of coaches would draw up action for Tony Allen, and it worked doubly well when Serge Ibaka for some reason decided that leaving Randolph alone 5 feet from the hoop to double Tony Allen was preferable to letting Allen shoot a contested runner.
    Ibaka can get block happy to the detriment of his team's defense. He has become more disciplined over past few years, but he's not there yet.

He was 4th in DPOY voting, but his impact on that end is inferior to big men like Bogut, Howard, and Duncan, all of whom were behind Ibaka. Bogut in particular has been an elite defender this year, although I don't think Mark Jackson realizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Was this deliberate, or a reflex? Aren't they called the Wizards these days??
    I don't remember if it was intentional or not. I often say "Bullets" ironically (probably not the best choice of nicknames for DC/Baltimore), but it also may be that I just forgot. But yes, they are the Wizards, ne: Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Ibaka can get block happy to the detriment of his team's defense. He has become more disciplined over past few years, but he's not there yet.

He was 4th in DPOY voting, but his impact on that end is inferior to big men like Bogut, Howard, and Duncan, all of whom were behind Ibaka. Bogut in particular has been an elite defender this year, although I don't think Mark Jackson realizes it.
    Yeah, the DPoY voting regularly produces some quirky outcomes. For example, I actually think Noah was a better defender in previous years than this year. But I think he won the award this year for (still) being outstanding on defense but substantially improving as an offensive player in carrying the Bulls to nearly 50 wins without Rose or (for the second half) Deng. So in a way it was like a consolation prize for being closer in the MVP discussion. He probably should have gotten the DPoY in a previous year and not this year.

Similarly, LeBron James has historically been a very good defender. But that has been less the case this year. Yet I believe he still finished top 10 in DPoY voting.

I liken the DPoY voting to that of the Gold Glove awards: unless you're otherworldly at defense (or have an iconic moment to solidify your case), you better also be a productive offensive player or you might just go unnoticed.

And invariably someone gets honored for ballhawking (chasing either steals or blocks) rather than actually playing good defense.

I don't remember if it was intentional or not. I often say "Bullets" ironically (probably not the best choice of nicknames for DC/Baltimore), but it also may be that I just forgot. But yes, they are the Wizards, ne: Bullets.
    Really? I've always thought the Bullets was one of the best team names in American sports. Unique and cool. Abandoning the moniker over fears of insensitivity to violent crime seems very short-sighted in retrospect. "Wizards" is just beyond lame.

And invariably someone gets honored for ballhawking (chasing either steals or blocks) rather than actually playing good defense.
    You must not have seen the hilariously misguided article on 538 explaining how steals are worth 9 points.

"'Zards" just can't compete with "Les Boulez."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    You must not have seen the hilariously misguided article on 538 explaining how steals are worth 9 points.
    That article is crazy. There is no earthly way to say that, in terms of actual game play, someone scoring 25 and getting 1 steal is the equivalent of someone scoring 16 and getting 2 steals (assuming, as I think the article does, that the players arrived at their points with equal efficiency). That's stupid.

That article is crazy. There is no earthly way to say that, in terms of actual game play, someone scoring 25 and getting 1 steal is the equivalent of someone scoring 16 and getting 2 steals (assuming, as I think the article does, that the players arrived at their points with equal efficiency). That's stupid.
    Silver's new venture has not had the most auspicious launch. He made his name in baseball, and the simple fact of the matter is that you have to know something about a sport to analyze it deeply with statistics. Silver doesn't know basketball, and in hiring Morris has apparently brought aboard an idiot who thinks simple box score regressions are a legitimate way to deep-mine for player value.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Really? I've always thought the Bullets was one of the best team names in American sports. Unique and cool. Abandoning the moniker over fears of insensitivity to violent crime seems very short-sighted in retrospect. "Wizards" is just beyond lame.
    Agree completely that "Wizards" is beyond lame, though that might make it a uniquely appropriate name for a team that has been beyond lame most of the time since the name was changed. In defense of the original decision to switch, though, Abe Pollin was a very community-oriented guy, and around the time of the name change young men in the DC and Baltimore area were shooting each other with depressing regularity. Pollin, I suspect, would not have wanted there to be even a chance that his team name could contribute to encouraging kids or teens to think that kind of behavior was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "'Zards" just can't compete with "Les Boulez."
    I always liked "Les Boulez" too--is that a Kornheiser coinage?

Can we get a full count on all the Dukies we got in the playoffs?

Bulls: Boozer, Dunleavy

Wizards: None

Hawks: Brand

Pacers: None

Bobcats: Henderson, McRoberts

Heat: Shane

Clippers: JJ

Warriors: None

Nets: Mason

Raptors:

Mavs:

Spurs:

Blazers:

Rockets:

Thunder:

Grizzlies:
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agree completely that "Wizards" is beyond lame, though that might make it a uniquely appropriate name for a team that has been beyond lame most of the time since the name was changed. In defense of the original decision to switch, though, Abe Pollin was a very community-oriented guy, and around the time of the name change young men in the DC and Baltimore area were shooting each other with depressing regularity. Pollin, I suspect, would not have wanted there to be even a chance that his team name could contribute to encouraging kids or teens to think that kind of behavior was okay.

Wizards v. Bullets

-jk

Yeah, the DPoY voting regularly produces some quirky outcomes. For example, I actually think Noah was a better defender in previous years than this year. But I think he won the award this year for (still) being outstanding on defense but substantially improving as an offensive player in carrying the Bulls to nearly 50 wins without Rose or (for the second half) Deng. So in a way it was like a consolation prize for being closer in the MVP discussion. He probably should have gotten the DPoY in a previous year and not this year.

Similarly, LeBron James has historically been a very good defender. But that has been less the case this year. Yet I believe he still finished top 10 in DPoY voting.

I liken the DPoY voting to that of the Gold Glove awards: unless you're otherworldly at defense (or have an iconic moment to solidify your case), you better also be a productive offensive player or you might just go unnoticed.

I agree with your points here, especially on Noah. And would add that there have been many nights this year - including Game 1 against the Wiz - when Jimmy Butler, not Noah, was the Bulls best defender.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Can we get a full count on all the Dukies we got in the playoffs?

Bulls: Boozer, Dunleavy

Wizards: None

Hawks: Brand

Pacers: None

Bobcats: Henderson, McRoberts

Heat: Shane

Clippers: JJ

Warriors: None

Nets: Mason

Raptors:

Mavs:

Spurs:

Blazers:

Rockets:

Thunder:

Grizzlies:
    You've got it. pfrduke posted a list on the regular season thread, and it had the same 8 names.

With Phoenix's loss to the Grizzlies last night (sad face) we know which of our Devils will be seeing postseason action and which will be starting the offseason workouts in preparation for next year (or, you know, going fishing). Heat-Bobcats and Bulls-Nets (assuming they happen) will be crowded with Duke guys.

Playoff Bound:
    Shane Battier (likely to play the Bobcats)
    Carlos Boozer (likely to play the Nets)
    Elton Brand (will be playing the Pacers)
    Mike Dunleavy (likely to play the Nets)
    Gerald Henderson (likely to play the Heat)
    Josh McRoberts (likely to play the Heat)
    Mason Plumlee (likely to play the Bulls)
    JJ Redick (likely to play Golden State)

Going Fishing:
    Luol Deng
    Kyrie Irving
    Ryan Kelly
    Miles Plumlee
    Shavlik Randolph
    Austin Rivers
    Kyle Singler

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    ...In defense of the original decision to switch, though, Abe Pollin was a very community-oriented guy, and around the time of the name change young men in the DC and Baltimore area were shooting each other with depressing regularity. Pollin, I suspect, would not have wanted there to be even a chance that his team name could contribute to encouraging kids or teens to think that kind of behavior was okay.

This is my recollection as well. Abe Pollin had decided he wanted to change the name. There was no hue and cry from the community for him to do it, he had just made that decision on his own, based on what he observed in the community around him. The choice of Wizards as the replacement came about with some community input, and was merely one of the slightly better of several lame options.

As the owner, he had that privilege, and based on what he did for this city, I'm not about to criticize Mr. Pollin.

And, as far as I know, "Les Boulez" is a Kornheiser invention.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I agree with your points here, especially on Noah. And would add that there have been many nights this year - including Game 1 against the Wiz - when Jimmy Butler, not Noah, was the Bulls best defender.
    Oh definitely. The fact that Butler (and Gibson for that matter) didn't even get votes while PJ Tucker and Patrick Beverley did is a joke. What Butler does defensively (while consistently playing 40+ minutes and ALWAYS guarding the opponent's best wing scorer) was silly.

And suddenly that somewhat-maligned Pacers' bench (mostly Scola) has answered the bell, in a BIG way.

Roy Hibbert still MIA.