Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    This is my recollection as well. Abe Pollin had decided he wanted to change the name. There was no hue and cry from the community for him to do it, he had just made that decision on his own, based on what he observed in the community around him. The choice of Wizards as the replacement came about with some community input, and was merely one of the slightly better of several lame options.

As the owner, he had that privilege, and based on what he did for this city, I'm not about to criticize Mr. Pollin.

And, as far as I know, "Les Boulez" is a Kornheiser invention.

Actually, the Washington NBA franchise ran a fake contest. First, the team asked for fan suggestions. Then it came up with six finalists, and then finally selected "Wizards," which was the predetermined choice.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    ...as far as I know, "Les Boulez" is a Kornheiser invention.
    I remember Olbermann doing it in the mid '90s SportsCenter heyday, several years before Kornheiser hit the ESPN airwaves. In fact, the Bullets became the Wizards a full four seasons before Pardon the Interruption debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I remember Olbermann doing it in the mid '90s SportsCenter heyday, several years before Kornheiser hit the ESPN airwaves. In fact, the Bullets became the Wizards a full four seasons before Pardon the Interruption debuted.
    Yes, but Tony Kornheiser was writing about sports in the Washington Post long before Pardon the Interruption debuted, beginning there in 1979, and IIRC, frequently wrote about "Les Boulez" as well as "La Sooz"--his pet name for Susan O'Malley, then Director of Advertising for the Bullets/Capitals organization.

lol...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

And KornheiseR Was Writing For The Washington Post Before K O Made His TV Debut.

Well, Tuesday night's games provided a little bit of intrigue and (likely) the resolution of one series.

Indiana bounced back and pounded Atlanta in the second half to even the series at 1-1. I think that series will go 5 or 6 games, with Indiana winning. Atlanta, without Horford, just doesn't appear to be good enough to beat the Pacers in a 7-game series. There's a reason this team won only 37 games.

Toronto bounced back as well to even the series with Brooklyn. Toronto is actually an interesting team. Valanciunas is a very productive big man, DeRozan is turning into a quality wing, and they have two solid PGs in Lowry and Vasquez. They aren't so interesting that they could challenge the Heat (or likely beat the Nets), but they clearly aren't the doormats of recent years. I think Brooklyn takes this one in 6.

In the final game of the night, the Wizards closed the 4th with a 14-4 run to overcome a double-digit deficit, and then dominated the first couple of minutes of OT to take a 2-0 lead in that series. I don't know the statistics on percentage of teams that lose the first two at home and come back to win the series, but I imagine that it is REALLY low. Like, I would guess less than 3% low. This Bulls team has overachieved all season, but they've run into the worst possible matchup for them: a very well balanced and deep team with size and athleticism. The Bulls success this season came in exploiting opponents' weaknesses and outworking their opponents. Well, the Wizards don't have a glaring weakness, and Nene, Gortat, and Booker aren't getting outworked. I think this series ends in 5 in favor of Washington. And I think Washington stands a very real chance of beating the Pacers next round. With a healthy Nene, they are a legitimately good basketball team.

As for the Bulls, I suspect we're a week or so away from it being time to let the Carmelo Anthony sign-and-trade for Boozer plus a lot of draft picks speculation reign.

Once again neither Dunleavy nor Boozer were on the floor as the Bulls gave away their lead and, ultimately, the win.

You've got to think that at least one of them could have provided more of an offensive punch the last possession than Hinrich driving into three players and flailing up a shot.

On April 6, 2007, Milchael Wilbon wrote that Tony K coined the phrase some 20 years prior:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040502262.html

So that would have been the late 1980s ... right around the time I had a life-size Manute Bol growth chart taped to the ceiling of my Duke dorm room, hung by my DC-area native roommate.

My other Bullets/Duke memory from that era: arriving at the Capital Centre in 1987 early-ish in the morning for the ACC tournament, and just walking around the arena on the outside (it wasn't open yet), and encountering Moses Malone, who was there with other players waiting for a bus to pick them up to take them on a road trip ...

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Once again neither Dunleavy nor Boozer were on the floor as the Bulls gave away their lead and, ultimately, the win.

You've got to think that at least one of them could have provided more of an offensive punch the last possession than Hinrich driving into three players and flailing up a shot.
    With a 10-point lead late (and having dominated the 4th quarter to that point), I think the choice in rotation was absolutely the correct one. The Bulls' best closing lineup (and by far their best defensive lineup) is Noah, Gibson, Butler, and Hinrich. And Augustin is the best scorer on the team, so he is in there for ballhandling, free throw shooting, and offense. Up until the final couple of possessions, I think the Bulls were absolutely right in keeping Dunleavy and Boozer on the bench. The team needed defense more than offense up until the last minute.

That being said, I agree that getting Dunleavy on the floor for that last offensive possession would have been wise. He's not a creator on offense, but he would be a viable catch and shoot option. I think having Boozer on the bench for Gibson and Noah made sense. Gibson was having a monster second half, and Noah is the offensive facilitator. But I could have easily seen Dunleavy on the floor there in place of Hinrich.

It's just a tough situation for Chicago. Boozer is the third best big man they have, and by far the third best defensive big man (maybe even the fourth best). So he's not going to play down the stretch. And Dunleavy is such a defensive liability that, unless he's on fire offensively, it's hard to keep him on the floor against a team where you can't hide him defensively.

I do think that Boozer and/or Dunleavy should have seen more run in the 4th in Game 1. But aside from the final minute (or less), I think the lineup choice was correct in Game 2.

I'm thinking Lamarcus Aldridge is earning his spot on Coach K's 2016 team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    So what happened to the Pacers? I have heard numerous theories including:

-The Granger/Turner trade was bad for locker room chemistry
    -Paul George's alleged paternity scandal and catfish scandal was a huge distraction
    -Hibbert and George are feuding over who gets shots and who is THE MAN
    -The team thought, based on last year's run, that it had achieved something and lost their hunger
    -Bird doesn't like Vogel and that tension is seeping into the rest of the team
    -Stephenson, playing for a contract, is not playing smart
    -The bench is weak after dealing away Psycho T and Gerald Green - they aren't getting what they wanted from Scola

Anyone else hearing this stuff? Anyone have a different theory?
    I have to know what the catfish scandal was. Farm raised vs free swimming? Did it have anything to do with noodling I hope?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I have to know what the catfish scandal was. Farm raised vs free swimming? Did it have anything to do with noodling I hope?
    Catfishing is the practice of establishing an interpersonal relationship via the interweb by concealing or distorting one's true identity and inhabiting a created or embellished online persona. Think Manti Te'o.

Catfishing is the practice of establishing an interpersonal relationship via the interweb by concealing or distorting one's true identity and inhabiting a created or embellished online persona. Think Manti Te'o.
    Back in the 80s, when I visited my brother at Georgia Southwestern College, I met a couple of girls who were called Mud Cat and Channel Cat. Cat fishing has changed a lot since then.

On topic, Aldridge is bringing the pain in that series.

Dwight Howard

I watched the first half of the Rockets-Blazers. Dwight Howard had Houston's first 11 points and had 25 in the half. He absolutely dominated Robin Lopez and just kept going at him. Aldridge tried to guard him some as well. He was dunking everything, making hustle plays and had a few nice moves as Hakeem looked on from the front row. It was pretty awesome to watch. I have not seen that from any big man since Shaq 12 years ago.

But - and you knew that was coming when discussing DH - Howard started walking back up the court after every successful play, posing for the cameras and smiling. He could not maintain his focus or energy. He wanted to primp instead.

So it's no wonder that Houston lost and Howard had a poor second half. That's the book on him. He has never grown as a player (let alone shown any leadership whatsoever) and his teams do not win. What a waste of talent and freak athleticism. He could be legendary if he wanted it.

That's a huge disappointment. I thought maybe he owned a fish camp and was outed for serving salt and pepper filet of catfish substituting coy from a fountain in a local park. I could have come up with several better catfish controversies than that. I hate it when real life doesn't live up to my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Back in the 80s, when I visited my brother at Georgia Southwestern College, I met a couple of girls who were called Mud Cat and Channel Cat. Cat fishing has changed a lot since then.

On topic, Aldridge is bringing the pain in that series.
    Again a controversy involving Mud and Channel would be much more interesting. I'm going to imagine interesting reasons for their respective nicknames so please don't ruin it by sharing the boring truth.

So lots of minutes for Dunleavy and a fair number for Boozer tonight against the Wizards. Wizards leading by 3 halfway through the 3rd quarter, but Dunleavy has an astounding 22 points--astounding because no other Bull has more than 8.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So lots of minutes for Dunleavy and a fair number for Boozer tonight against the Wizards. Wizards leading by 3 halfway through the 3rd quarter, but Dunleavy has an astounding 22 points--astounding because no other Bull has more than 8.
    Make it 29 now for Mike at the end of the 3rd. Carlos is the Bulls' second leading scorer with 14. And they'll be headed to the bench for the 4th...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

32 now, Dunleavy definitely having the defining game of his career. Hope the Bulls can pull out the win so it means something.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    32 now, Dunleavy definitely having the defining game of his career. Hope the Bulls can pull out the win so it means something.
    They are looking pretty good right now since Nene was ejected.