Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    There are many other superstars who, if in Duncan's place in their twilight years, would not have the mindset to allow the Spurs to have the recent success they have had. I usually don't feel a player's post-prime seasons add much to his place in history, but these intangibles are such a significant part of Duncan's greatness that he is still rising in the list of all-time greats.
    It is almost as if Timmy, Manu and Tony are looking at the future and feel that part of *their* legacy is how well San Antonio does after they are gone. I think they actually want the young guys to step up and take their place. They want to know that when they leave San Antonio will still be a challenger. At least that is the feeling I get from them as they near retirement and the Spurs move toward youth especially on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I agree with you on all fronts. That's why this SA team is so easy to fall in love with: great coaching, great HOFers, great role players. The continuity between all of them (maybe with the exception of the role players) is what makes them great.
    It's funny that people feel this way now because it wasn't too long ago when everyone was so bored by the Spurs and their consistency. I think the Lebron hype/hate has made it really easy for people to fall in love with a Spurs team that has been deserving of admiration for, well, basically the last 17 years (although maybe we can point to 2002 when Ginobli joined Parker and Duncan. Note, I'm not ragging on you, Flyingdutchdevil. This is just an observation.

Personally, the Spurs have been my second favorite NBA team (after the Hawks) since they broke up the Lakers run in 2003, although I also was a Spurs lean in 1999. I'm happy to see them win, but still feel guilty for rooting against Battier. In fact, I was secretly happy Battier got a second ring last year.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    It's funny that people feel this way now because it wasn't too long ago when everyone was so bored by the Spurs and their consistency. I think the Lebron hype/hate has made it really easy for people to fall in love with a Spurs team that has been deserving of admiration for, well, basically the last 17 years (although maybe we can point to 2002 when Ginobli joined Parker and Duncan. Note, I'm not ragging on you, Flyingdutchdevil. This is just an observation.

Personally, the Spurs have been my second favorite NBA team (after the Hawks) since they broke up the Lakers run in 2003, although I also was a Spurs lean in 1999. I'm happy to see them win, but still feel guilty for rooting against Battier. In fact, I was secretly happy Battier got a second ring last year.
    It is funny, isn't it? When the Spurs were consistent but not crushing opponents (2005 to 2013), they were "boring". Now? Against the greatest basketball player since Michael Jordan and his superfriends? It's "beautiful".

I think the "boring" to "beautiful" stems from two areas: 50% from demolishing the Heat in 5 games and 50% from getting more exciting role players. Leonard, Green, and Diaw are very entertaining players, much more so than Brent Barry, Big Shot Rob (when he's not hitting insane 3pts in the final 2 seconds), George Hill, etc.

On top of that, I don't really remember the Spurs being this unselfish. They always pass, but not to the extent of this year. It's kinda ridiculous, actually.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    It is funny, isn't it? When the Spurs were consistent but not crushing opponents (2005 to 2013), they were "boring". Now? Against the greatest basketball player since Michael Jordan and his superfriends? It's "beautiful".
    I am one of the people who changed my tune, but it was in reaction to a very different Spurs approach. The last 3 games they played an attacking offense predicated on lightening ball movement. It was designed in response to Miami's frenetic defensive style, so in some ways Miami brought this out of them. But, the way they played in these last few games was way different from their prior titles, and different even then they were playing earlier in the playoffs when I didn't have much interest in watching them. They were always efficient and effective, but suddenly they were also exciting, in a visceral sense...I think that was new.

I think the "boring" to "beautiful" stems from two areas: 50% from demolishing the Heat in 5 games and 50% from getting more exciting role players. Leonard, Green, and Diaw are very entertaining players, much more so than Brent Barry, Big Shot Rob (when he's not hitting insane 3pts in the final 2 seconds), George Hill, etc.

On top of that, I don't really remember the Spurs being this unselfish. They always pass, but not to the extent of this year. It's kinda ridiculous, actually.
    You might be right. On the other hand, Manu Ginobli, in his prime, was a fantastically exciting player to watch. He didn't get the minutes nor the stats of Kobe, but in my estimation he was right up there with Kobe and maybe even Wade for a two or three year stretch as the best SG in the NBA. Plus, Parker has been a model of consistency. If anything, he's slightly less exciting now.

I wonder if the Spurs hate came from people who loved watching the Nash-Marion-A'mare Suns. I also enjoyed those Suns teams and, considering the bad blood between them and the Sun's entertaining style, it is understandable that the general public would prefer the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    That was my favorite scene from the playoffs this year. Leonard was so shy when they called out his name. It really was fun to see.
    It was my second favorite moment. It was closely edged out by the smile on Duncan's face after Manu's slam dunk. There was such an incredible look of affection and joy on Tim's face at that moment

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am one of the people who changed my tune, but it was in reaction to a very different Spurs approach. The last 3 games they played an attacking offense predicated on lightening ball movement. It was designed in response to Miami's frenetic defensive style, so in some ways Miami brought this out of them. But, the way they played in these last few games was way different from their prior titles, and different even then they were playing earlier in the playoffs when I didn't have much interest in watching them. They were always efficient and effective, but suddenly they were also exciting, in a visceral sense...I think that was new.
    Eh, I agree that this style is new relative to previous Spurs teams, but it was introduced this season - not just the Finals. The big change in Games 3-5 was that Pop told Leonard and Green not to only settle for jumpers. But the ball movement and player movement has been there throughout the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I agree that this style is new relative to previous Spurs teams, but it was introduced this season - not just the Finals. The big change in Games 3-5 was that Pop told Leonard and Green not to only settle for jumpers. But the ball movement and player movement has been there throughout the playoffs.
    That is exactly what I think was the primary change that made it so exciting, the incessant driving.

That is exactly what I think was the primary change that made it so exciting, the incessant driving.
    But the team was already driving a lot. They just stopped doing it in Games 1 and 2. Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, and Mills were always looking to drive. Leonard less so, Green less so.

Maybe it is an "eye of the beholder" thing, but I think the Spurs have been playing beautiful offense all season.

I just want to thank Manu for bringing it, and representing all us follically challenged dudes out here. I feel you, brother. I really do.

Manu's out-of-nowhere dunk (and Duncan's shocked response) are the lasting images I will have. Well, that and Patty Mills raining down 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    But the team was already driving a lot. They just stopped doing it in Games 1 and 2. Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, and Mills were always looking to drive. Leonard less so, Green less so.

Maybe it is an "eye of the beholder" thing, but I think the Spurs have been playing beautiful offense all season.
    Fair enough, maybe I was just blown away by the ridiculous efficiency
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...s-illustrated/

Sorry but you haven't been paying attention. It's easy to find equally beautiful highlights that don't include clips from the Finals, eg:

I'll agree that they kicked the intensity up a notch in the 2014 playoffs (starting with Game 7 vs the Mavs), but the style of play has been in place for a few years now: essentially since Splitter took over the starting 5 spot, Timmy's knees fully rehabbed, and the previous suite of role players (Hill/Neal/Blair/Jefferson) was upgraded to Leonard/Green/Diaw/Mills. By the time this year's team faced Portland and OKC, the offense was clearly in top gear.