Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not surprised.

Deeply disappointed.

Joins the list of Duke one-and-dones who I won't root for in the NBA because one-and-done is using the college and not truly being part of it (that's how I have always felt and still do - and I know most don't agree with me, but I'm fine with that).

Duke used to be the school that kept people around for longer than expected.

All the best - will look forward to seeing his game develop at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Not surprised.

Deeply disappointed.

Joins the list of Duke one-and-dones who I won't root for in the NBA because one-and-done is using the college and not truly being part of it (that's how I have always felt and still do - and I know most don't agree with me, but I'm fine with that).
    I don't follow this logic. We're not in his shoes, but if we were how could we accurately say we wouldn't make the same choice given the current system. Jabari's logic is very sound. In the perspective of a lifetime there is a small window in which to have an athletic career. Why not maximize that when it can be such an enormous asset? Would you judge Jabari differently, or root for him, if rules mandated he stay 2 years even though he would still be the same person?
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Well handled overall, but I'm a little surprised by the statement that the nba is clearly where he has the best opportunity to develop off the court. Seems odd, and as someone who would love to be immersed in the environment at duke once again, I am struggling to figure out what that means.

Congratulations!

Congrats, Jabari! You made the best choice for yourself.

I will be cheering loudly for Jabari when he is a Celtic next year. Really looking forward to seeing him in person twice a week!

I honestly believe this was the best choice for Jabari, especially from a basketball perspective. College is great, Duke is the best, but the NBA just offers more.

Thanks Jabari, and I hope you get your degree.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    None of our other recent departures waited until after the banquet, so there is nothing to base that assumption on. I like it when they don't wait, then the program can go on without an air of mystery taking away from the actual event.
    I started typing a response before the thread closed, so I will just add this here.

It's true that Irving and Rivers both announced well before the banquet. But for other recent players who were considering the NBA this late:

In 2009, Henderson waited until after the banquet and announced that he was leaving.
    In 2010, Singler announced that he was returning three days before the banquet.
    In 2012, Mason Plumlee announced he was returning four days before the banquet.
    In 2014, Jabari Parker waited until after the banquet and has now announced that he was leaving.

So I think it's reasonable to look at the banquet date as a sort of inflection point, at least for those who are on the fence this late in the process.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 04-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.

I hope he gives somebody at Duke the recipe for Jabari bars, at least.

I'd like to have the recipe right now. I'm gonna need to assuage my sorrows somehow, and I don't drink.

Best of luck to Jabari in the NBA.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Very impressive young man, and he represented the university with utmost class. Although this year's Duke team was not strong fundamentally, Jabari sure made it a fun year (except for the ending of course).

So, what are our chances with Turner?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I don't follow this logic. We're not in his shoes, but if we were how could we accurately say we wouldn't make the same choice given the current system. Jabari's logic is very sound. In the perspective of a lifetime there is a small window in which to have an athletic career. Why not maximize that when it can be such an enormous asset? Would you judge Jabari differently, or root for him, if rules mandated he stay 2 years even though he would still be the same person?
    It's a fair question. I don't know. All I know is what I feel. The guys who only stay one year feel like they used Duke and don't feel like Duke players in the NBA and I tend not to root for them. I will say it's also partly due to what they did in their one year. I know I don't nearly struggle to root for Luol like I do Irving or Rivers - but Duke had a much better run with Deng. I'm not arguing it's the right way to feel about it - but it is how I feel.

P.S. I also think he got the answer badly wrong to both of his big questions.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Well handled overall, but I'm a little surprised by the statement that the nba is clearly where he has the best opportunity to develop off the court. Seems odd, and as someone who would love to be immersed in the environment at duke once again, I am struggling to figure out what that means.
    Agree re this slightly odd note. I assume he might have been referring to the common cliche that university isn't "the real world." The NBA sure isn't the real world. I couldn't blame a young person for accepting the cliche, though its applicability to the NBA is dubious.

Great statement by Jabari. Very well spoken young man. He will represent Duke very well in his professional endeavors.

Obviously wish him all the best. Great player, great kid, can't fault him for the decision.

I can't help but wonder what could have been though... his 1 season was great from an individual perspective but from a team perspective... one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory. No ACC championship (regular or tournament), an average (for Duke) NCAA seed and another early flame out in the NCAAs. Does Jabari leave a Duke legacy? I don't really think so. Hopefully next year's Duke team does just that.

Best of luck in the NBA Mr. Parker, I'll be rooting for you, just not as much as my other Duke guys.

Thank you, Jabari - for being a wonderful addition to our program. Good luck - and know you'll be missed (and followed).

It's a fair question. I don't know. All I know is what I feel. The guys who only stay one year feel like they used Duke and don't feel like Duke players in the NBA and I tend not to root for them. I will say it's also partly due to what they did in their one year. I know I don't nearly struggle to root for Luol like I do Irving or Rivers - but Duke had a much better run with Deng. I'm not arguing it's the right way to feel about it - but it is how I feel.

P.S. I also think he got the answer badly wrong to both of his big questions
    I am not the son of an NBA player, nor have I been a basketball player at Duke University. Jabari *is* both of those things. So if he thinks he will develop more as a person and player in the NBA, I think I should trust him to know that answer best. I'm curious what experience or knowledge you bring to this discussion to say he is "badly wrong."

P.S. I also think he got the answer badly wrong to both of his big questions.
    I think it's very difficult to argue against the NBA as the best place to develop as a player, especially one where the organization will invest millions in (trainers, coaches, physical therapists, doctors, etc etc etc).

The second question is debatable, and I think it is player-to-player. Had I entered the working world at the age of 19, there is no way that I would have matured at my first job. College gave me the ability to develop as a person. But, again, it's person-to-person. And I'm not Jabari Parker.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    It's all about the money.

Good luck, Jabari.

Like most others on this board, I'm not surprised by JP's decision. I would have been amazed if he had decided to come back for his sophomore year, given the sort of money and opportunity staring him in the face. I'm not enough of a basketball nerd to know how many potential high NBA picks have foresworn the NBA draft to come back to school. I'm thinking not too many in recent years. I wish him the best of luck. Stay healthy and get that Duke degree!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Agree re this slightly odd note. I assume he might have been referring to the common cliche that university isn't "the real world." The NBA sure isn't the real world. I couldn't blame a young person for accepting the cliche, though its applicability to the NBA is dubious.
    Well, the NBA will be his "real world" for the next (hopefully) 15 years. So that is the world and life that he has to adjust to.

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Jabari's made his decision and it must be respected. Best of luck to him in the NBA. Hope he talks up Duke for years as he meets with success at the next level.

I also hope his decision brings him not just money but personal fulfilment and, yes, fun.