Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Baseball

No score with Duke coming to bat in the bottom half of the 2nd. Duke's pitcher is looking good so far. DBAP is empty! The game is being televised by ESPN3 for anyone interested.
    Bob Green

3-1

The game is headed to the bottom half of the 5th with Duke up 3-1.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No score with Duke coming to bat in the bottom half of the 2nd. Duke's pitcher is looking good so far. DBAP is empty! The game is being televised by ESPN3 for anyone interested.
    Also on FSS in triangle on direct tv. 3-3 now in the 8th and yes I count 47 people on the stands, many wearing orange.

Headed to the bottom half of the 9th with Miami up 4-3. Duke needs a run (two would be better) to avoid the sweep.
    Bob Green

Miami wins 4-3 to finish the series sweep. Duke had the tying run on 2nd base but stranded him there. Having watched the whole game I say we needed to have a bigger 3rd inning when bases were loaded with no outs. Two runs scored to put Duke up 3-1 but those were the last to cross the plate for the Blue Devils. Hopefully we see better results at Florida State Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    Bob Green

Heading into the Final Regular Season Weekend...

Here is the table for the ACC Standings right now.

Rank Team Record win pct
    1 Miami 22 - 5 .815
    2 Virginia 21 - 6 .778
    3 Florida State 19 - 8 .704
    4 Duke 15 - 12 .556
    5 North Carolina 14 - 13 .519
    6 Maryland 15 - 14 .517
    7 Clemson 13 - 13 .500
    8 Wake Forest 13 - 14 .482
    9 Georgia Tech 14 - 16 .467
    10 NC State 11 - 16 .407
    11 Pitt 11 - 16 .407
    12 Boston College 9 - 18 .333
    13 Virginia Tech 8 - 19 .296
    14 Notre Dame 6 - 21 .222

Georgia Tech and Maryland are done for the year with everyone else finishing up this weekend. Looking at all the latest bracketology I could find, it looks like Miami, Virginia, Florida State are locks. Maryland, Clemson, North Carolina are in pretty good or near lock shape. NC State and Duke (and Georgia Tech too depending on the bracket) are on the wrong side of the bubble.

Duke having an RPI of 84 (9th in the conference) hurts a lot. Probably will have to take the series against Florida State and make a deep run in the ACC Tournament for an at large bid.

Duke did beat Richmond 10-2 Tuesday to win its 31st game.

Last week's 0-3 performance against Miami had to hurt our NCAA chances badly. I'm not knowledgable enough to guess whether we can do anything about that with our final three games in Tallahassee or in the ACC Tournament.

But I can read the standings and although Duke remains in fourth place -- and more importantly in the ACC's top six -- that rank is precarious. I know Duke has clinched a spot in the tournament, but winning a bye is much more important than in the ACC Basketball Tournament. Finish 7-through-10 and you have to win a play-in game (and probably use up your best pitcher) just to get into the round-robin. Finish in the top six and you are guaranteed three tournament games -- go 3-0 and maybe 2-1 and you are in the title game.

Worst case for Duke is an 0-3 weekend at FSU. That would leave the Devils at 15-15 in the ACC.

That might not be good enough.

Maryland, which is finished in-conference at 15-14, would jump us. UNC (14-13), Clemson (13-13) and even Wake Forest (13-14) could jump us.

One win in Tallahassee would almost certainly put Duke in the top six. For one thing, it locks up a spot ahead of Maryland. And if it becomes necessary, we own tiebreakers with UNC and Wake Forest.

We really need that win to finish in the ACC top six ... and we need two or three wins this weekend to bolster our NCAA chances.

This weekend's series is a Thursday, Friday, Saturday series so the first game at Florida State is today at 6 pm with coverage being provided by ESPN3. Here is the GoDuke article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hopefully Duke will make it a habit to play in the ACC tourney. The DBAP will be hosting it through 2018, so it would be nice to play at "home".

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/dbap-to...2018/13647387/

This year it is being played in Greensboro.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A win against FSU guarantees a top six seed in (and bye into the round robin of) the ACC tourney. But according to Steve Wiseman, Duke could still back into the top six if UNC is swept by Miami and Wake does not sweep UVa.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Will Winston be pitching any of the games?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Will Winston be pitching any of the games?
    He's a relief pitcher/closer, IIRC, so not sure whether he'll pitch or not. Just trying to provide info here and not being crabby.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

PPD Rain

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    . . . [certain outcomes assuming] Wake does not sweep UVa.
    Game One of Hoos@Deacs is postponed. Double-header tomorrow beginning at 2:00 p.m.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He's a relief pitcher/closer, IIRC, so not sure whether he'll pitch or not. Just trying to provide info here and not being crabby.
    Does he pinch hit?

Does he pinch hit?
    I don't know what the shell you are talking about.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Does he pinch hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I don't know what the shell you are talking about.
    You two have a leg up on all the puns.

Good luck to the baseball team!

Does he pinch hit?
    Well if does, and gets on base, I'm sure he's a threat to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    A win against FSU guarantees a top six seed in (and bye into the round robin of) the ACC tourney. But according to Steve Wiseman, Duke could still back into the top six if UNC is swept by Miami and Wake does not sweep UVa.
    Actually, UNC has to win 2 of 3 vs. Miami to pass Duke (if Duke goes 0-3 at Miami. The worst-case for Duke is 15-15 ... UNC went into Friday's doubleheader (plus one game Saturday) at 14-13 -- if UNC goes 1-2, they finish 15-15 and Duke has the tiebreaker.

As of 4:30 p.m., Virginia is about to beat Wake (5-3 Virginia in the bottom of the ninth) -- that would eliminate Wake from sixth place contention.

The dangerous teams are Maryland and Clemson. For Maryland, it's simple ... they're finished at 15-14. If Duke wins one of its last two, the Devils finish ahead of the Terps. If Duke is swept, Maryland finishes ahead of Duke.

Clemson beat Boston College Thursday to go to 14-13 in the ACC. They gets the Eagles tonight and Saturday -- one win and they tie Maryland at 15-14 ... and would pass 15-15 Duke. Two wins (which is a good chance) and they finish 16-13 and ahead of Duke even if Dukie splits and finishes 16-14.

You can play with the numbers, but it's looking more and more like Duke needs to win one of the last two to finish ahead of Maryland and/or Clemson ... I don't think UNC and/or Wake are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Actually, UNC has to win 2 of 3 vs. Miami to pass Duke (if Duke goes 0-3 at Miami. The worst-case for Duke is 15-15 ... UNC went into Friday's doubleheader (plus one game Saturday) at 14-13 -- if UNC goes 1-2, they finish 15-15 and Duke has the tiebreaker.

As of 4:30 p.m., Virginia is about to beat Wake (5-3 Virginia in the bottom of the ninth) -- that would eliminate Wake from sixth place contention.

The dangerous teams are Maryland and Clemson. For Maryland, it's simple ... they're finished at 15-14. If Duke wins one of its last two, the Devils finish ahead of the Terps. If Duke is swept, Maryland finishes ahead of Duke.

Clemson beat Boston College Thursday to go to 14-13 in the ACC. They gets the Eagles tonight and Saturday -- one win and they tie Maryland at 15-14 ... and would pass 15-15 Duke. Two wins (which is a good chance) and they finish 16-13 and ahead of Duke even if Dukie splits and finishes 16-14.

You can play with the numbers, but it's looking more and more like Duke needs to win one of the last two to finish ahead of Maryland and/or Clemson ... I don't think UNC and/or Wake are a problem.
    Miami, UVA and FSU are top 3.

So the next three come from Duke, UNC, MD, Clemson, WFU.

WFU is done; don't you think UNC is effectively done since they play Miami?

So that leaves Duke, MD, Clemson as the next three to round out the top 6. Just root for UNC to lose twice to very good Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Wake scored three runs in the 9th (2-run 2-out HR) to take the game to extra innings.