Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Baseball

NCAA hopes!

Latest Baseball America projections have us making the NCAA regional: http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...ort-week-11-4/

"The Blue Devils, meanwhile, are surging, with nine straight victories, including back-to-back road series sweeps at Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. Duke also owns a home sweep of fellow bubble dweller North Carolina, which is a big feather in its cap, and a 15-9 ACC record. Teams that finish with winning records in the ACC usually make regionals, but the Blue Devils are still battling RPI troubles, though they vaulted from No. 90 to No. 61 in the last week.

The RPI Needs Report says they need to win seven or eight of their final 10 games to finish inside the top 45, and that won’t be easy with series remaining against Miami and at Florida State. They could get into a regional with an RPI in the 46-55 range if they can get to 17 or 18 ACC wins. If they can win one of those last two series, we like their chances to end a 53-year NCAA tournament drought; just avoiding getting swept in both series could be sufficient. And they just might be good enough to pull it off. They remain behind Clemson (No. 45), UNC (No. 42) and Georgia Tech (No. 33) in the pecking order primarily because of RPI, but they sneak into our field as the final team."

I hope we can finish with a winning ACC record, but it will be tough with Miami and Florida State remaining. The Miami series is at home - we need to figure out how to get fans in the stands. All 3 games at are the DBAP, so it could be a spectacular atmosphere, but our home series attendance has been pretty sad. We probably had 1/5 of the fans that NC State and Carolina had, and those were home series for us!

FWIW, it would be a loss to FSU baseball if Jameis Winston remains suspended.

He has appeared in 16 games in relief, with a 1.50 ERA, 5 saves, and 25 strike outs vs 4 walks given up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    FWIW, it would be a loss to FSU baseball if Jameis Winston remains suspended.

He has appeared in 16 games in relief, with a 1.50 ERA, 5 saves, and 25 strike outs vs 4 walks given up.
    He has already beaten Duke enough this year, I will enjoy not seeing him do it again. (Although it would be fun to watch us beat him.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Two today!

Duke steps out of conference with a doubleheader today against Longwood at Jack Combs Field.

Obviously, no impact on the ACC race, but if Duke does have any hopes to earning an NCAA at large bid, winning these two games -- and a third against Longwood tomorrow at the DBAP -- are vital.

The Devils go into the first game today with a nine-game winning streak on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Duke steps out of conference with a doubleheader today against Longwood at Jack Combs Field.

Obviously, no impact on the ACC race, but if Duke does have any hopes to earning an NCAA at large bid, winning these two games -- and a third against Longwood tomorrow at the DBAP -- are vital.

The Devils go into the first game today with a nine-game winning streak on the line.
    Won the first game, 10-4... Second should be starting shortly, if not already...

Duke drops the second game 2-1. Longwood scored two runs in the top of the 6th to take the lead. Duke had the tying run on 3rd base in the 9th but couldn't get him home. The tying run was on 2nd base in the 8th. A tough loss for our NCAA Tournament chances.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Won the first game, 10-4... Second should be starting shortly, if not already...
    The Devils lost the nightcap 2-1 to end the winning streak at 10.

Got 2 runners on in the 9th, but couldn't push a run across. Play Longwood (located in Farmville, VA by the way -- straight up Rt. 15) again tomorrow.

**see Bob Green beat me to it; hard to beat those Navy guys
    While not good to lose as we try to get a NCAA bid, the series with Miami and FSU and then the ACC Tournament still provide an opportunity for a bid.
    Last edited by roywhite; 05-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.

That loss was a killer to our very, very slim chances of making the NCAAs. This team just has way too many bad losses.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That loss was a killer to our very, very slim chances of making the NCAAs. This team just has way too many bad losses.
    Dang...so much for optimism. I'm enjoying the amazingly fun wins (like over the Heels) too much to count all the "pathetically bad losses".
    No program was resurrected in a single season.

Cool

Well, then, we'll just have to win the ACC Tournament.

Final: Duke 6, Longwood 1. I didn't have the opportunity to listen to the game this afternoon, but checked in on Live Stats at GoDuke in time to catch the Top of the 9th.
    Bob Green

Start of a new streak.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke No. 30

Just announced today -- Duke shows up at No. 30 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll:

http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-d...i-poll-5-5-14/

Duke's chances of winning an at large NCAA bid have to be very real. With three games coming up against No. 5 Miami and three more against No. 6 FSU -- plus the ACC Tournament -- it's still up in the air. But this is good news.

Next game -- Friday vs. Miami at the DBAP

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Next game -- Friday vs. Miami at the DBAP
    Does the DBAP serve beer for collegiate games?

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    I don't know but Mellow Mushroom and Tyler's Taproom do and they are about 1-2 blocks away.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    YES!!

Duke loses the first two to Maimi -unfortunately, they kicked our butt both games.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke loses the first two to Maimi -unfortunately, they kicked our butt both games.
    Score was tied 1-1 through 6 today... We got shellacked in the 7th and 8th...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Score was tied 1-1 through 6 today... We got shellacked in the 7th and 8th...
    9-1 final. First game was 6-1.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

9-1 final. First game was 6-1.
    Exactly... As I said, we got shellacked in the bottom half of the 7th and 8th. More precisely, Miami got 2 in the 7th, to make it 3-1... The true shellacking took place in the 8th, when they tacked on 6 more...