Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Duke Baseball

pinch hitter Cristian Perez delivers the two-run homer off Miami's closer ...

Going to the top of the 10th, tied 4-4

Frozen rope!

Held Miami in the 10th. Bottom of the 10th, Duke at bat. Still 4-4.

Just turned the game on and saw a replay of Miami scoring on a WP (or PB) to take the lead, 5-4, in the top of the 12th.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Dammit. Went downstairs to report the score to my wife and came back upstairs and the 'Canes added another run to lead 6-4. Duke to the plate bottom of the 12th. Put on your rally caps cuz the guys in Blue need another miracle.

6-5 ... two outs and runners at the corner ...

Just came up short ... 6-5 final.

Probably the season-ender (an NCAA at-large bid is possible, but a long-shot)

Down to our last out and trailing by 2, big hopper up the middle that the Miami SS can't field and our runner scores from 2nd as the ball gets "booted" into short CF. Now, down 1, runners on the corners and the 'Canes changing pitchers. Biting nails.

OMG, Root Sports here in Denver just left the game with 2 outs, tieing run on 3rd. Aaarrrgggghhhhh

Must have been a unc ump behind the plate as our batter got called out looking on what looked like a curve ball that was a foot outside, exactly where the catcher set up. No way that was the 3rd strike. Tough loss.

No ump at any level is going to have a clue about the outside pitch as long as they set up on the inside corner. That was a horrible call.

Yep, bad call on that third strike. I didn't watch all of the game, as I was switching channels back and forth . . . primarily watching the Lax win. I generally only watched the baseball game when Duke was at bat, and I saw several "questionable" outside pitches called strikes against Duke hitters.

Was the Ump also calling it that way when Miami was at bat, or did we get hosed?

With it being extra innings, the Ump may have been running late to call a t-ball game in High Point.

Disappointing way to see the season (most likely) end, but it's impossible to feel anything but optimism where Duke baseball is concerned. Way to go, fellas. Proud to have you representing Duke.

The future

Can anybody who follows Duke baseball closely fill me in on the prospects for next season?

Duke had 14 seniors this year -- the normal starting lineup included one non-senior -- the sophomore SS.

On the other hand, the pitching staff is mostly young. Just one senior was among the top hurlers.

And I know from this thread that Pollard has a good recruiting class coming in.

Are there any other young position players on the verge of a breakout? What about football players -- Jonathan Lloyd was supposed to be a top baseball guy, but I didn't see his name in the box scores. The Harris kid who just committed in football is also regarded as a top football prospect. Any chance of getting help from that quarter?

Perhaps this discussion should be put on hold until after the NCAA pairings are announced Monday at noon. But I'm still interested in looking into the looking glass. Long term, I have no doubt that Pollard will get it done -- I'm just wondering whether we have to take a step back first?

GT beats Maryland in the ACC Championship after taking advantage of a shaky Maryland bullpen. Both teams were already definitely in the field with Maryland having an outside shot at a 2 seed (kinda shocking considering they got swept by BC three weeks ago) so this does not affect the bubble like Liberty losing does. Should be interesting to see how many teams the ACC gets. I think 7. UVA, FSU, MD, GT, Miami, Clemson, and North Carolina barely.

NCAA field announced

Not unexpected, but Duke did not get an NCAA at-large bid:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...hedule-results

No real complaints -- the ACC got Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Maryland and UNC in the field.

I'm not a baseball guru, but it does gripe me that UNC got in and we didn't -- I know their RPI was higher, but we swept them in three games AND finished ahead of them in the ACC standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

No real complaints -- the ACC got Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Maryland and UNC in the field.

I'm not a baseball guru, but it does gripe me that UNC got in and we didn't -- I know their RPI was higher, but we swept them in three games AND finished ahead of them in the ACC standings.
    But I thought we got all the calls. Even in baseball.

UNC's record against RPI top 50 (8-12) was better than Duke's (6-15). Since they were in the last four in, that win against Maryland over the weekend probably was what got them in.

I think of it like when UVA and MD missed the tournament a couple years ago. Weak SOS and RPI doomed them, even with quality victories. I think Duke has a good shot at winning next year if they play a few harder weekday games. RPI is weird. They could go get swept by Florida and be fine.

Recruiting Update

I don't know a lot about baseball recruiting, but I do know this -- ranking baseball recruiting before the MLB Draft is a futile exercise.

A very large percentage of the nation's top prospects will be drafted and will start playing minor league baseball this summer. Unlike basketball (in the days high school prospects could be drafted), where pro-minded kids had to declare for the draft, there is no declaration in pro baseball. The teams draft whom the want and the kids then decided whether to sign with the pros or go to college. A few top picks do take the college route, but most of the top picks opt for pro baseball (as you would expect the percentage goes down the farther down the draft you'd go -- it exceptional when a first-round pick goes on to college).

I expect Duke to be relatively immune to this, since academics should have played a role in their choice. But remember, back in the old basketball days we did lose Shaun Livingston, so it's possible we will lose a recruit. But I expect Duke to move UP in the rankings relative to what people ahead of us lose.

BTW: The MLB Draft is June 6 this year

Only after that process can anybody rate recruiting classes with any degree of accuracy.
    So now that the MLB signing period is officially over, Duke's 2014 recruiting class is ranked #16 in the nation according to Perfect Game USA. After hovering in and around the 60s over the past several years, I'm going to guess that this would be their highest ranking in recent memory, possibly ever. Although the draft certainly changes things, their 2015 class is also currently ranked 16th in the country. Two of our 2014 commits passed on the draft to come to Duke, which is again a first in recent memory. Although we will still be in the "program-building" stages for the next couple of years, I don't think there is any doubt that we are headed in the right direction under the current staff!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil14 View Post
    So now that the MLB signing period is officially over, Duke's 2014 recruiting class is ranked #16 in the nation according to Perfect Game USA. After hovering in and around the 60s over the past several years, I'm going to guess that this would be their highest ranking in recent memory, possibly ever. Although the draft certainly changes things, their 2015 class is also currently ranked 16th in the country. Two of our 2014 commits passed on the draft to come to Duke, which is again a first in recent memory. Although we will still be in the "program-building" stages for the next couple of years, I don't think there is any doubt that we are headed in the right direction under the current staff!
    A few words moved here and there, and it is amazing how well this post could fit into a FB recruiting thread. Kevin White is turning into an amazing hire for Duke. It is not just the people he has brought in, but the support he is giving where it is needed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A few words moved here and there, and it is amazing how well this post could fit into a FB recruiting thread. Kevin White is turning into an amazing hire for Duke. It is not just the people he has brought in, but the support he is giving where it is needed.
    Agree totally. I don't know anything about inner workings or the politics between the athletic department and Duke admin/Trustees, but Mr. White has been remarkable in turning those programs around. Obviously the coaching hires have been huge, but it seems to go much deeper than that. I'm confident the Big Hire he may make in the future will be well thought out and successful. I didn't think that way 6-7 years ago.