Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Baseball

Duke Baseball

With our sweep of the sheep last month and winning the series from NCSU this weekend in come-from-behind fashion on Sunday, I'm thinking this gives us additional evidence to claim the phrase "Our State." (Didn't check to see if/when we play the Deacs, so perhaps I'm a bit premature.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

April 25-27 in Winston Salem.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    With our sweep of the sheep last month and winning the series from NCSU this weekend in come-from-behind fashion on Sunday, I'm thinking this gives us additional evidence to claim the phrase "Our State." (Didn't check to see if/when we play the Deacs, so perhaps I'm a bit premature.)
    We're a baseball school now, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    We're a baseball school now, obviously.
    Both the sheep and the farmers received votes in the most recent baseball poll. Pretty nice for the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    April 25-27 in Winston Salem.
    Hmmm, state championship on the line?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

ACC Championship Qualification

Hmmm... I couldn't find the details, but ten teams will make the ACC baseball playoffs. Teams #7-#10 will have a playoff game (play-in game) to see which two of these teams join the other six in a round-robin format (maybe two round-robins?).

Duke is 9-9, tied for fourth in the Coastal with UNC (tiebreaker!!!!), and tied for#7 if the two divisions are looked at together.

Maybe an ACC Tournament is in the offing?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke gets a big win tonight 3-2 in 12 innings at Virginia Tech. Duke is now 10-9 in the ACC!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

win!

Duke gets a big win tonight 3-2 in 12 innings at Virginia Tech. Duke is now 10-9 in the ACC!
    Duke is right on the ACC Tournament bubble ... if the tournament started today, they would be in (but would not get a bye). But is they stumble down the stretch, Duke could easily miss qualifyinbg.

Friday night's win was big. The last two games in the VPI series mean a lot.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    And they win again today, 13-3 over the Hokies.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A sweep in Blacksburg!

2-0 final vs VaTech

Matuella threw a scoreless 8 2/3 innings and Huber got the final out.

Duke now 12-9 in the ACC.

Duke 2 -- Va Tech 0

Nine ACC games left - at WF and FSU and Miami at home - all strong teams.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

the push for the tournament

Nine ACC games left - at WF and FSU and Miami at home - all strong teams.
    Well, Miami and FSU are clearly the two best teams in the ACC, so taking one of three in both series would not be bad. Wake has exactly the same ACC record as Duke (but better overall). That's going to be a huge series that Duke needs to win.

Why?

Well, right now, Duke and Wake are tied with the sixth best record in the ACC (12-9).

The top six teams advance to the tournament proper, beginning pool play on May 11 in Greensboro.

The 7-10 teams have to play in two sudden death elimination games on May 10 in Greensboro (7 vs. 10; 8 vs. 9). Even the winners will be at a disadvantage entering pool play as they will have to expend one of their best pitchers in the play-in game.

Teams 11-15 don't qualify for the tournament, period.

So it's important to finish in the top 6 -- and that's going to be tough for Duke.

The Devils should be in good shape to finish in the top 10, which means a spot in the tournament. That's a big step forward for the program -- not sure of the last time Duke qualified for the ACC Tournament, but it's been awhile.

Aren't Wake and Duke tied for fifth?

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Aren't Wake and Duke tied for fifth?
    You are correct sir. Georgia Tech is in 7th at 11-10. All other teams have losing conference records.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The Devils should be in good shape to finish in the top 10, which means a spot in the tournament. That's a big step forward for the program -- not sure of the last time Duke qualified for the ACC Tournament, but it's been awhile.
    Last made it in 2009, and before that it was eons I think.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

FSU and Miami are clearly the 2 best teams in the conference? Where does UVA rate/rank? They were pre-season #1 in the country. I'd not look past them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ouisville-rise

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    FSU and Miami are clearly the 2 best teams in the conference? Where does UVA rate/rank? They were pre-season #1 in the country. I'd not look past them.

Duke has already played Virginia and took one out of three.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Vurginia

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post

You are right that Virginia is No. 1 -- but Duke has already played them. Virginia, FSU and Miami all have virtually identical ACC records -- FSU and Virginia are 16-5 ... Miami is 15-5.

I also erred in saying that Duke and Wake are tied for sixth ... they are (as dpslaw points out) tied for 5th ... I guess technically, they are also tied for sixth ... but that's a quibble.

My point is that Duke's current position is very fragile. Georgia Tech mau be the only other ACC team outside the top six with a winning record in conference -- but others are close, including a UNC team that I think was preseason top 10.

Things can change quickly -- Duke went from 9-9 to 12-9 with one series at Virginia Tech. This coming weekend, 10-11 UNC gets Virginia Tech in Chapel Hill for three games. They could easily be 13-11 at this time next week. What will Duke be after three games with Wake? And even after that, the Devils finish with tough series against FSU and Miami.

As I said, Duke is in great shape to finish in the top 10 and make the tournament. Making the top six and avoiding the play-in games is going to be tough -- even though Duke is there as of today.

FWIW: Here is the official ACC standings from the ACC website:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/standings?sport=m-basebl

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I also erred in saying that Duke and Wake are tied for sixth ... they are (as dpslaw points out) tied for 5th ... I guess technically, they are also tied for sixth ... but that's a quibble.

As I said, Duke is in great shape to finish in the top 10 and make the tournament. Making the top six and avoiding the play-in games is going to be tough -- even though Duke is there as of today.
    You are right that making the top six is going to be a big challenge. And I see your point about being tied for 5th versus being tied for 6th--but the difference is a bit more than a quibble. Tied for 5th means the two teams hold, collectively, spots 5 and 6, and if the tournament were seeded right now, both would be in. Tied for 6th would mean the two teams hold, collectively, spots 6 and 7, and there would only be room for one of them, presumably based on some tiebreaker, if the tournament were seeded right now.

So clearly at the moment Duke is better off than if they were tied for 6th. Unfortunately, that is not especially helpful since the tournament will not be seeded right now and there are tough games ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So clearly at the moment Duke is better off than if they were tied for 6th. Unfortunately, that is not especially helpful since the tournament will not be seeded right now and there are tough games ahead.
    Knowing they are pretty much in (knock on wood), this means their tourney starts now. Consider it a longer play-in series. It is fitting that their next ACC series is against WF, the other team that is jockeying for position. And good news for Duke is that while we have a daunting schedule to play both FSU and Miami after Wake; the Deacons still have to face #1 UVA. (They also have to play State, who knows, maybe the wuffies can pick up at least a game from them.)