Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You may be 20% wistful and 80% gleeful in saying this, but you are 100% wrong. I'll let others waste their time discussing whether Maryland is an ACC school at this moment, but Charles Mitchell played in the ACC for two seasons. Now he plans to transfer to another school. He is as relevant to this thread as, say, Tyler Lewis. (More relevant if he chooses Georgia Tech.)

People who abandon a sinking ship don't necessarily drown, go underwater, or even get wet.
    Oh, details. I was trying to add a little snark and remind folks that we don't have to deal with Terrapin fans next years.

It's the off-season. I get my jollies where I can.

Think of Maryland as an unpleasant odor. The source may have left the building, but it still has a lingering presence.

P.S. I always hated their flag. Isn't the Maryland flag the ugliest in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    P.S. I always hated their flag. Isn't the Maryland flag the ugliest in the country?
    No ...

That honor belongs to Mississippi -- the last state to continue to incorporate the Confederate Battle Flag.

The Maryland flag is ugly and I do understand the relief that the university, its dishonest administration and its obnoxious fans (not all, we have some good ones on this board -- but the great majority) are leaving us. I feel for the coaches and athletes who lament the move (a large percentage -- maybe a majority).

And I do have a soft spot for Maryland because I'm an American Revolution buff and I have a deep appreciation for the role that the Maryland Line -- led by such men as William Smallwood, John Eagar Howard and Otho Williams -- played in the Campaign in the Carolinas. Smallwood stood his ground at Camden and saved at least a small percentage of the Army of the South from Gates' folly in that rout; Williams led the rear guard during the Race for the Dan --one of the great retreats in military history, a brilliant march across North Carolina in the dead of winter that greatly weakened Cornwallis' army; Howard commanded the final line at the Cowpens, his action in the crisis and the behavior of his Maryland men routed Tarleton and some of the finest troops in the British Army. Howard also command Greene's main line at Guilford Court House -- his men fought Cornwallis to a standstill, forcing the British commander to order his artillery to fire into his own troops to preserve a tactical victory (but suffer such losses that Guilford was a major strategic defeat for the Brits).

I hate to lose that connection.

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/t...ke-next-season/

A new Wa. Post article on the MD Terps roster for next season, and all the players who've left (and who is left). It is going to be a really rough first year for them playing against their "close neighbors" from Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota.

Yeah, WI in February -- yummm! (And going all that way to get your butt whoop'd repeatedly - priceless!)

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    We are still in the ACC. Pretty sure I saw us in the ACC Baseball Tournament this morning.

Implode is strong. We're going to get transfers. We have a top ten recruiting class. As it stands, there are 11 scholarship players with one or two more possible grad transfers or Robert Carter. You want to see a basketball program with the potential of imploding? Look at Oregon.

Am I thrilled at all the transfers. Of course not. But there's more than one way to look at it.
    Apparently the MD administration doesn't believe they're in the ACC any longer as news reports have cited them replacing ACC logos with BIG for weeks now. JK....

As I said before, I'm going to miss MD not being in the ACC; and I don't take much satisfaction in seeing another player leave a proud program like MD. It will be interesting to see if Mitchell goes to GTech now and stay in the ACC. I know UVA had a number of players leave; but it still amazes me that Turgeon has had this many transfers in one summer; and these are players that he recruited.

Implode is strong. We're going to get transfers. We have a top ten recruiting class.
    I cannot explain my [temporary] support for the Terps; another example that there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. Nevertheless, I agree with HiaT. They just picked up a senior/grad transfer, Richaud Pack, a scorer on last season's weak NC A&T, so that's some useful depth in backcourt

I think they'll make the NCAAT in 2015. Here's their Big14 schedule:

Home: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
    Away: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue
    Home/Away: Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers

Wins at home -- Mich, Minn, NW, Ind, Neb, PS, Rutgers
    Wins away -- Purdue, PS, Rutgers

10-8. Piece of cake.

True, they'll have to win all the easy home OOC games, as they have some tough OOC neutral games, including Villanova in MSG. Might need to win either that one or UVa at home in ACC-Big14 Challenge.

"Go Terps"? No, I'm not that insane. But I think they'll make the NCAAT. Matched with Devils in round of 32. Maybe Justise can guard Dez. [Several assumptions there, I realize....]

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I cannot explain my [temporary] support for the Terps; another example that there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. Nevertheless, I agree with HiaT. They just picked up a senior/grad transfer, Richaud Pack, a scorer on last season's weak NC A&T, so that's some useful depth in backcourt

I think they'll make the NCAAT in 2015. "Go Terps"? No, I'm not that insane. But I think they'll make the NCAAT.
    Strongly disagree ... Turgeon has not been able to get them in the NCAA Tournament in the ACC (which has been weaker than the Big Ten during his three years there). Now he's going to do it after losing two projected starters (Mitchell and Allen) and three veteran rotation players (Faust, Cleare and Peters) to transfer? They lose five of the top eight players (both in terms of minutes played and scoring) -- all to transfer. That's my definition of implode.

Yes, I know they have Dez Wells -- a nice player coming back. And Jake Layman isn't bad -- even if he did hit 40.1 percent from the floor last year. I'm not a big fan on Smotrycz ... by coincidence, he also hit 40.1 percent from the floor last year. The only other played with any experience whatsoever is Jonathan Graham (10 minutes and 1.6 ppg).

I know that Turgeon has a nice recruiting class -- but the only real impact guy is Trimble -- and the Terps are counting on him to play point, where he's really a combo guard. It's hard to see him being as good next season as Allen was last year. The other four guys are all four-star prospects ... I like Reed, but he's a 210-pound center -- hard to see him replacing Mitchell. And the slenderness of recruits such as Trimble, Reed and even Cekovsky can't help in a league as physical as the Big14.

Then there are the transfers. I hardly think Pack, a guy who averaged 17 ppg for a 9-23 team changes the balance of power. Maybe they get Mason, the best 5th year guy on the market. I'm sure they will add some others.

But it's going to be basically a new team, playing in a new league. Three core players returning -- one very good, one pretty good and one so mediocre that he's already transferred out of the Big 14 once. A combo guard playing point. A 210-pound center.

I think this team will be lucky to make the NIT ... which Maryland couldn't do in two of Turgeon's first three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Strongly disagree ... Turgeon has not been able to get them in the NCAA Tournament in the ACC (which has been weaker than the Big Ten during his three years there). Now he's going to do it after losing two projected starters (Mitchell and Allen) and three veteran rotation players (Faust, Cleare and Peters) to transfer? They lose five of the top eight players (both in terms of minutes played and scoring) -- all to transfer. That's my definition of implode.

Yes, I know they have Dez Wells -- a nice player coming back. And Jake Layman isn't bad -- even if he did hit 40.1 percent from the floor last year. I'm not a big fan on Smotrycz ... by coincidence, he also hit 40.1 percent from the floor last year. The only other played with any experience whatsoever is Jonathan Graham (10 minutes and 1.6 ppg).

I know that Turgeon has a nice recruiting class -- but the only real impact guy is Trimble -- and the Terps are counting on him to play point, where he's really a combo guard. It's hard to see him being as good next season as Allen was last year. The other four guys are all four-star prospects ... I like Reed, but he's a 210-pound center -- hard to see him replacing Mitchell. And the slenderness of recruits such as Trimble, Reed and even Cekovsky can't help in a league as physical as the Big14.

Then there are the transfers. I hardly think Pack, a guy who averaged 17 ppg for a 9-23 team changes the balance of power. Maybe they get Mason, the best 5th year guy on the market. I'm sure they will add some others.

But it's going to be basically a new team, playing in a new league. Three core players returning -- one very good, one pretty good and one so mediocre that he's already transferred out of the Big 14 once. A combo guard playing point. A 210-pound center.

I think this team will be lucky to make the NIT ... which Maryland couldn't do in two of Turgeon's first three years.
    OK, we'll bet. No money, just for "I told you so, dimwit." I say Terps make 2015 NCAAT, you say no.

The winner will surely remember on March 15, 2015. The loser will need to come up with some excuse for being dimwitted. [I may have the advantage there, as I have practice at that sort of thing.]

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    OK, we'll bet. No money, just for "I told you so, dimwit." I say Terps make 2015 NCAAT, you say no.

The winner will surely remember on March 15, 2015. The loser will need to come up with some excuse for being dimwitted. [I may have the advantage there, as I have practice at that sort of thing.]
    Good suggestion ... the winner gets a strong "I told you so" and the loser has to offer a public mea culpa.

Knowing how my memory works -- the winner of the bet is responsible for reminding the loser (I have an odd habit of forgetting bets I lose, but I never forget bets I win ... I wonder how that works?)

I agree with Olympic Fan on the flag thing. I've always thought the MD flag was kind of cool because it seemed so different. The MS flag strikes me as an ugly reminder of unrepentant racism. Perhaps not the most charitable view, but that's what comes to mind, and it's hard to think of it otherwise with a straight face.

Speaking of I Told You So

We had a thread running a couple months ago when the rats started jumping ship. I think the title of the thread had the word "meltdown" in it. Some people made the point that when you've got that many people leaving your program, you need to examine some fundamentals and ask what's going on. Others said, "Oh no, it's fine. Not good, but isolated. Maryland will be fine. Nothing to see here. Move along."

Now even more people have left the program, and we're here. But it'd be bad form of me to link that other thread. Maybe someone on the back end of that would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Good suggestion ... the winner gets a strong "I told you so" and the loser has to offer a public mea culpa.

Knowing how my memory works -- the winner of the bet is responsible for reminding the loser (I have an odd habit of forgetting bets I lose, but I never forget bets I win ... I wonder how that works?)
    OK, I'll remind you ....

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I agree with Olympic Fan on the flag thing. I've always thought the MD flag was kind of cool because it seemed so different. The MS flag strikes me as an ugly reminder of unrepentant racism. Perhaps not the most charitable view, but that's what comes to mind, and it's hard to think of it otherwise with a straight face.
    The black-and-gold part was the original banner of the state, derived from the heraldry of the Calverts, the Catholic founders of the colony. The Crossland banner, which is the red-and-white part, is also of Calvert origin but was used by secessionists during the Civil War. The combination of the two was an attempt at reconciliation after the Civil War. I believe the flag is god-awful looking, but is at least of historical origin.

WRT the Univ. of Maryland, I always rooted against the Terps because of the boorishness of the fans, but I would be happy to see 'em kick butt in the Big Ten.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter to Maryland.

Sounds like Underarmour connection and a desire to get out of the south were the two big keys.

Sounds like Underarmour connection and a desire to get out of the south were the two big keys.
    Underarmour connection? In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here's a link with that reference, but no real explanation: http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/6/6...yland-transfer

Was it an old AAU connection?

Mebbe there's an Underarmour Railroad?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Underarmour was founded by Maryland alum Kevin Plank. He played football at the school and came up with Underarmour in college. He made a business plan, and it took off after graduation. He donates a surprising amount of money to the business school and the football program. Not Phil Knight to Oregon and Stanford levels, but quite a bit of money. They push Underarmour hard here as a result.

The other schools Carter considered were South Carolina and St. Johns, both Underarmour schools. Kansas was the odd school without Underarmour.

Underarmour was founded by Maryland alum Kevin Plank. He played football at the school and came up with Underarmour in college. He made a business plan, and it took off after graduation. He donates a surprising amount of money to the business school and the football program. Not Phil Knight to Oregon and Stanford levels, but quite a bit of money. They push Underarmour hard here as a result.

The other schools Carter considered were South Carolina and St. Johns, both Underarmour schools. Kansas was the odd school without Underarmour.
    I understood the connection between Underarmour and Maryland. What I still don't understand is how or why that could have affected Carter's decision on where to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Mebbe there's an Underarmour Railroad?
    Nice.

I understood the connection between Underarmour and Maryland. What I still don't understand is how or why that could have affected Carter's decision on where to transfer.

Nice.
    His AAU or high school coach had an Underarmour connection I believe. Team was sponsored by Underarmour at one point.