Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Look, I'm not speculating on Jabari Parker one way or another, but if he stays he needs to give up his jersey number. A Duke jersey that says "Obi 1" would be the biggest seller in history. (He wore #3 at Rice, which still works if you like Detroit hip-hop.)
    Well unless you expect Jabari to stay 3 years then I don't think it will be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    My only question is, IF we do land Sean Obi, how will Chase Jeter and Diamond Stone see it?
    I might rather have Obi.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    I might rather have Obi.
    He is not our last hope, there is another ...

Still there is something to be said for the Chase chase or romancing the Stone

I remain one of the delusional ones who believes 2014-15 will feature one of Jabari, Rodney, or Myles.

Since I wouldn't expect any of those guys to be around an additional year, Obi could be key to 2015-16 (playing a Rodney role of a sudden infusion of a guy with proven div 1 talent and a year of Duke practices). He could also be invaluable next year battling Jahlil et al, in practice.

It's a lot to expect from a guy from Greenwich who played at Greens Farms Academy, where he was co-MVP of his high school team along with Hunter Eggers, who's a 6 foot point guard who also signed with Rice. Hunter also has an assist to turnover ratio of infinity (1:0). I mention this not to deride Mr. Eggers (my college assist:turnover ratio was much worse and was compiled in pickup games against unatbletic undergrads while Hunter plays division 1), but rather to point out that while Sean Obi was a 2 star recruit, and we rarely go below 5 stars, he could be just what we need...

http://www.gfacademy.org/Customized/...20Web%20v2.pdf

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-bas...rs_854239.html

Hunter's web page also mentioned that he and Obi are brothers.

this led me to this great story. In case you missed it a few years ago, here's one story about it in a local Greenwich magazine:
    http://www.greenwichmag.com/g/Decemb...of-Dream-Team/

Last edited by johnb; 04-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.

My apologies if this has been covered in this thread already. However, if Duke lands Obi, will he be eligible to play in 2014-2015 since Rice fired former head coach Ben Braun in March and hired VCU assistant Mike Rhoades as their head coach? Do transfer rules allow him to transfer to a different school and play immediately or would he have to sit out a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I forgot to include DeMarcus Ware, who is leaving Louisville (which by next season will be an ACC team). We all remember him, of course, for the horrific injury he suffered against Duke in the 2013 Elite Eight game in Indy.
    Kevin Ware is transferring to Georgia State.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    My apologies if this has been covered in this thread already. However, if Duke lands Obi, will he be eligible to play in 2014-2015 since Rice fired former head coach Ben Braun in March and hired VCU assistant Mike Rhoades as their head coach? Do transfer rules allow him to transfer to a different school and play immediately or would he have to sit out a year?
    There is no auto hardship waiver for a change of coach (ladies and gentlemen, the NCAA!). While the NCAA has seemingly been granting more waivers lately, the only one I recall granted for that reason was that of Billy Baron, who was granted a waiver to transfer from Rhode Island to Canisius when his father was fired from Rhode Island and transferred to Cansius. So he would be eligible in 2015-2016, although he'd have 3 years of eligibility.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    There is no auto hardship waiver for a change of coach (ladies and gentlemen, the NCAA!). While the NCAA has seemingly been granting more waivers lately, the only one I recall granted for that reason was that of Billy Baron, who was granted a waiver to transfer from Rhode Island to Canisius when his father was fired from Rhode Island and transferred to Cansius. So he would be eligible in 2015-2016, although he'd have 3 years of eligibility.
    Couldn't he just say he wanted to be closer to his family in Greenwich, CT? Durham is closer than Houston, and surely he has someone up there not feeling well. The NCAA seems to like that basis for a waiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Couldn't he just say he wanted to be closer to his family in Greenwich, CT? Durham is closer than Houston, and surely he has someone up there not feeling well. The NCAA seems to like that basis for a waiver.
    Well, if he comes to Duke, it might actually be better if he takes the year to learn and improve--this appears to be a kid who is still learning the game and getting better by leaps and bounds, and Duke will need him more the year after next (assuming Jahlil Okafor is gone) than next year.

The NCAA is inconsistent about that justification for a hardship waiver (generally it's no, but it HAS been granted), but it seems like a bit of a stretch in this case.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But forgotten by July 2
    Who is forgotten?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The NCAA is inconsistent about that justification for a hardship waiver (generally it's no, but it HAS been granted), but it seems like a bit of a stretch in this case.
    I will usually take a good performing transfer - think Rodney Hood ! who average about a 10pt/7rb at Mississippi State as a Fr - over a supposedly more talented high school kid. Neil Fingletons of the world Unite ! Duke has done well w transfers - Rodney Hood, Dahntay Jones, Roshawn McCleod etc - I don't know of a transfer that has really fallen flat. I know of many HS players who haven't worked out.

Like Hood, I would be very excited to get this kid. I don't think he is at Hood level but his rebound numbers are strong, I think Rice is in Conf USA which is only an OK league but w a year to weightlift and practice he could come in killin' in 2015. I hope we get him ! he is at a double double already putting up 11/9 pts rebounds...

NOTE - how recruiting is funny.. you know what this guy was rated coming into Rice last year by ESPN? 0-100 scale with Duke guys usually being in the 80s at the lowest? He was a 61. 61. Sometimes they miss huh? Also, more to the point perhaps than numeric he was only looked at by Yale, Columbia and Rice. Obviously must have great academics -kudos there - but clearly someone misjudged his talent unless he committed to Rice before anyone else could woo him..

Trevor Thompson is heading to Ohio State
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

One could also argue that as the crow flies, Durham is closer to his actual family in Nigeria than Houston...

Chris Collins Going After Obi

Northwestern is recruiting Sean Obi now, and they're apparently pursuing the "Major-College-Major-Conference and Lot's of PT Available" approach.

Let the games begin!

Northwestern is recruiting Sean Obi now, and they're apparently pursuing the "Major-College-Major-Conference and Lot's of PT Available" approach.

Let the games begin!
    Drew Crawford is graduating from Northwestern, and his #1 jersey is available. Advantage: Northwestern.

Luke Kennard will arrive at Duke in Fall 2015, which is also when Sean Obi would resume eligibility. Whether or not Obi gets a #1 jersey, Duke would have a Ken/Obi duo. Advantage: Duke.

Don't know when Mr. Obi will make his decision, but May the 4th be with him.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Luke Kennard will arrive at Duke in Fall 2015, which is also when Sean Obi would resume eligibility. Whether or not Obi gets a #1 jersey, Duke would have a Ken/Obi duo. Advantage: Duke.
    Obi/one & Luke together would be a real force.
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 04-14-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Seriously, though, all this waiting for 18-21 year olds to make their decisions, and massive sleep deprivation, are making me loopy. (not that anyone who knows me would likely notice) Carry on.
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 04-14-2014 at 01:54 AM. Reason: gah! must sleep... can't type...
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Diamond DeShields to transfer from UNC.

I don't know why, and neither do they, apparently.