Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2014 Nike Hoops Summit Game

For those who want to watch the event, it's going to be televised at 4:00 PM PST (7:00 EST) this Saturday the 12th on ESPN2 and ESPN3.com

Should be a very exciting game this year, with tons of NBA prospects on both rosters. All three of our recruits (Okafor, Jones, and Winslow) will be playing for team USA, and it will be very exciting to get a sneak peek of what Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor can do together. The international team looks really strong this year, with Emmanuel Mudiay and UK recruits Trey Lyles and Karl Towns. They also have Clint Capela, who is projected as a first round pick in this year's draft, and could play himself into the lottery with a strong showing in this game. It's somewhat disappointing that Dante Exum isn't going to be participating, but he's already projected as a top 5 pick, so I guess there's really no point.

In any case, it should be a fun game, as this event is typically a bit more competitive throughout than other similar All-Star type events because of the international component, and it will be a lot of fun to root for our future players.

The complete rosters are listed on their website: http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    For those who want to watch the event, it's going to be televised at 4:00 PM PST (7:00 EST) this Saturday the 12th on ESPN2 and ESPN3.com

Should be a very exciting game this year, with tons of NBA prospects on both rosters. All three of our recruits (Okafor, Jones, and Winslow) will be playing for team USA, and it will be very exciting to get a sneak peek of what Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor can do together. The international team looks really strong this year, with Emmanuel Mudiay and UK recruits Trey Lyles and Karl Towns. They also have Clint Capela, who is projected as a first round pick in this year's draft, and could play himself into the lottery with a strong showing in this game. It's somewhat disappointing that Dante Exum isn't going to be participating, but he's already projected as a top 5 pick, so I guess there's really no point.

In any case, it should be a fun game, as this event is typically a bit more competitive throughout than other similar All-Star type events because of the international component, and it will be a lot of fun to root for our future players.

The complete rosters are listed on their website: http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/
    Don't forget Mr. Allen is a fourth recruit...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, and then all 4 Duke recruits will appear in the Jordan Brand Classic April 18 in Brooklyn

The Nike Hoops Summit game is the best of the bunch in terms of serious competition, but it's still nice to see the next generation even in the exhibition type games.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Right, I just meant that all the Duke recruits in the game were on the same team.

Right, I just meant that all the Duke recruits in the game were on the same team.
    Duke players on the World Select Team?

I guess we have to go back to Marty Pocius, who scored 20 points for the World team in 2005, raising some expectations among Duke fans.

Jahlil and Tyus checking in from Portland

Duke recruits seeking win at Nike Hoop Summit

good to see them together, and playing together

Okafor-Turner

One thing I will be watching for is to see if the US uses Okafor and Turner together ... and if so, how well the click together.

I still think Turner to Duke is an EXTREME longshot, but two thinks would have to make it happen -- (1) Parker has to leave; (2) Jahlil and Myles have to decide they want to play together.

BTW: Love the video that roywhite linked. Tyus starts out with how pumped he is to be playing for Coach K "one of the greatest coaches of all time" and Jahlil jumps in with a correction "THE greatest coach of all time."

Scrimmage report from Draft Express. Sounds like USA didn't look too good despite winning against some mid-major college players.

Some compliments thrown towards Duke players, though.

Excerpts:

The starting lineup of Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander, Stanley Johnson, Theo Pinson and Tyus Jones got Team USA out to an early 8-0 lead, but things got sloppy from there on out.
    While not all that efficient, Okafor had his way in the interior on multiple occasions, finishing an And 1 around the rim and getting to the foul line with regularity.

The bigs got it going early, and after Team USA weathered the storm for the majority of the game, point guard Tyus Jones closed things out with a few impressive floaters in the lane. Jones played with poise and nice pace down the stretch, showing why he'll be running the show at Duke next season.
    Backup point guard Joel Berry, who struggled badly all game long, had major issues protecting the ball in the half court against pressure, as even post entry passes were no easy feat.

Continue to love what I'm reading/seeing about Tyus.

Berry continues to get negative reviews in these All-star game scrimmages. If they are at all accurate, I think Nate Britt keeps his job next season at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

This is pretty much what I've come to expect from Tyus Jones. In addition to being a fantastic distributor and knowing how to get teammates involved, he's one of the best guys in his class at taking over and getting buckets when the game is on the line. He did this repeatedly in AAU tournaments last summer, and I expect much more of the same at Duke. It's not a sure thing, but I'd give him the inside track for the starting PG job over Cook as of now. He's not as athletic or as strong, but he reminds me a lot of Kyrie Irving because of his amazing feel for the game, nasty handles, and talent for finishing at the rim over much bigger defenders. He's more of a distributor, and less of a scorer, but there's definitely some Kyrie in his game.

Don't be surprised if it's Tyus Jones, and not Jahlil Okafor who wins the ACC rookie of the year award.
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-12-2014 at 12:48 AM.

The only question that matters to me is

This is pretty much what I've come to expect from Tyus Jones. In addition to being a fantastic distributor and knowing how to get teammates involved, he's one of the best guys in his class at taking over and getting buckets when the game is on the line. He did this repeatedly in AAU tournaments last summer, and I expect much more of the same at Duke. It's not a sure thing, but I'd give him the inside track for the starting PG job over Cook as of now. He's not as athletic or as strong, but he reminds me a lot of Kyrie Irving because of his amazing feel for the game, nasty handles, and talent for finishing at the rim over much bigger defenders. He's more of a distributor, and less of a scorer, but there's definitely some Kyrie in his game.

Don't be surprised if it's Tyus Jones, and not Jahlil Okafor who wins the ACC rookie of the year award.
    how is Tyus' defense?

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    how is Tyus' defense?
    Not his strong point, reportedly. Some of the analysts who saw McDonald's A-A practices said he was not able to stay in front the quicker guards. And physical strength is an area for improvement.

Maybe we'll get a better idea tonight.

Great scrimmage stats for both Jones and Winslow in the USA Practice Day Three write-up by Mike Schmitz on Draft Express.

Money quotes:

Jones did an excellent job running the show. He got Team USA into its half court sets, made plays for his teammates, pushed the tempo in transition, and provided timely scoring when the team needed a bucket.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2ygZ5sGu2
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Jones led the team with five dimes, and Justise Winslow was right behind him with four assists. Winslow stuffed the stat-sheet with 10 points, seven rebounds, four assists, two steals, and two highlight alley-oop finishes.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2ygZJNSP9
    Tyus Jones: 12 points, 5-of-7 FGs, 2-of-2 3FGs, 5 assists, 7 turnovers, 5 steals
    Cliff Alexander: 12 points, 5-of-5 FGs, 2-of-4 FTs, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2ygZULpcl

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Scrimmage report from Draft Express. Sounds like USA didn't look too good despite winning against some mid-major college players.

Some compliments thrown towards Duke players, though.

Excerpts:

Berry continues to get negative reviews in these All-star game scrimmages. If they are at all accurate, I think Nate Britt keeps his job next season at UNC.
    Guess we can count on Okafor's "and 1s" to end once he starts play in the ACC.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Measurements and rosters
    nbadraft.net/2014-hoop-summit-rosters

Quote Originally Posted by mccollums View Post
    Measurements and rosters
    nbadraft.net/2014-hoop-summit-rosters
    The internationals have a big team. Their smallest guy goes 6-4½. That's easily half a (U.S. official) cinderblock taller than the USA's smallest.

I plan to be at the game (by the way, it's a pretty good deal... $5 for general admission seats; it appears the game draws 6-10K fans each year). If there's anything anyone wants me to look for which might not be apparent on TV, let me know and I'll do my best to report back on it.

Okafor has a 7'5" wingspan. Impressive.

Justise is tearing it up! Great agility around the hoop...

Hey marty, enjoy the game! How did Justise and Tyus look in pregame shooting? Did you get there that early?

Justise was tremendous in the first half.