Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Best of luck to you Rodney. He may have only been on the court for one year, but I do not view him as an OAD, he was a captain after all. That speaks volumes to his contributions during his year sitting out.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/17/du...ing-nba-draft/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The smoothest shooting southpaw in college basketball since Salim Stoudamire at Arizona and arguably the best small forward offensively at Duke since Michael Dunleavy. Though a case could certainly be made for Kyle Singler.

Glad he was here for a year than never at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The smoothest shooting southpaw in college basketball since Salim Stoudamire at Arizona and arguably the best small forward offensively at Duke since Michael Dunleavy. Though a case could certainly be made for Kyle Singler.

Glad he was here for a year than never at all.
    No offense to Hood, but I'll take 2010 and 2011 Singler any day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No offense to Hood, but I'll take 2010 and 2011 Singler any day.
    Since I said offensively and not shooter, I'd concur. As a pure outside jump shooter, though, I'd probably take Rodney. But there's no question that Kyle possessed the better overall package and repeatedly demonstrated those abilities on the game's biggest stages, which certainly makes it hard to pick against him.

Hood now has a pretty amazing opportunity at Duke. I still expect him gone, but with Jabari leaving, look at the opening for him:

* Only returning captain
    * Clearly the best player coming back
    * Could start with Okafor, Amile, Sheed, Cook or Jones on what would very likely be the most talented starting five in the country
    * Chances at individual honors he never really got a chance at last year - 1st team all ACC, team MVP, All American
    * Chances at team success they never got last year in his only year playing for Duke - league title, conference tournament title, sweet sixteen, final four, who knows?
    * Gets to be the HERO of the Duke world for coming back after Jabari left
    * might actually be in a better spot with the draft if he goes next year than this year (in terms of being drafted higher).

I still think he is gone, but unlike Jabari he was never a projected one and done and with Parker's decision made, the opening for Hood if he comes back could be argued is nearly as good of one as you could ever hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Hood now has a pretty amazing opportunity at Duke. I still expect him gone, but with Jabari leaving, look at the opening for him:

* Only returning captain
    * Could start with Okafor, Amile, Sheed, Cook or Jones on what would very likely be the most talented starting five in the country
    * Chances at individual honors he never really got a chance at last year - 1st team all ACC, team MVP, All American
    * Chances at team success they never got last year in his only year playing for Duke - league title, conference tournament title, sweet sixteen, final four, who knows?
    * might actually be in a better spot with the draft if he goes next year than this year (in terms of being drafted higher).

I still think he is gone, but unlike Jabari he was never a projected one and done and with Parker's decision made, the opening for Hood if he comes back could be argued is nearly as good of one as you could ever hope for.
    All of that is definitely nice in theory, but unfortunately Hood already declared. He will not be playing for Duke next year.

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketbal...t/dukeofhoops/

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post

* Only returning captain

I do not consider Hood a "one-and-done". I think that terminology pretty specifically describes a basketball player who spends one year in college in between his senior year of high school and his first year in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I do not consider Hood a "one-and-done". I think that terminology pretty specifically describes a basketball player who spends one year in college in between his senior year of high school and his first year in the NBA.
    You're right. Rodney is a "one-and-one-and-done." Or, given his sit-out year, maybe a "one-and-a-pause-and-a-one-and-a-done."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013