Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The How I Met Your Mother finale

I've been hoping some on else would post a thread about the end of my favorite sitcom earlier this week. I've been holding off because I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It certainly wasn't a terrible finale (a la Seinfeld or Lost), but it wasn't a classic (a la Newhart -- the best sitcom finale of all time).

I have been reading reviews on the web and I've found everything from outrage to praise for the surprise twist at the end (not the predicted twist ... but the one after that). I think this review best sums up my confused feelings about it (caution, it contains MAJOR spoilers):

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=860040

I know it's not important. After watching the episode I thought about the moment in Friends where Phoebe talks about how sad it was when Bambi's mother is shot and Chandler responds with: "Yeah, it was really sad when the artist stopped drawing the mother."

It's just fiction. But when you invest your interest and emotions in a story and in strong characters, it feels real. I loved HIMYM -- I thought it represented some of the best and most inventive story telling I've ever seen on a sitcom. Loved the characters.

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about the ending ... but I do know that I'm sad that its over.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I have never watched more than a minute or two of the show, so I'm not the guy to say how I liked the ending. However, I do think it was very cool of the writers/producers to shoot parts of the final show way back when it first started. Also, if you didn't like the ending, there is an alternate one that will be on the DVD release.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I know it's not important. After watching the episode I thought about the moment in Friends where Phoebe talks about how sad it was when Bambi's mother is shot and Chandler responds with: "Yeah, it was really sad when the artist stopped drawing the mother."
    Interesting you brought up Friends. The most amazing thing about How I Met Your Mother is that it is extremely fluid when looked at as a whole, which lends a sense of timelessness about it. Generally, it's hard to watch a rerun and tell where it falls in the show's chronology. Even the actors don't seem to age very much. Your only hints are Jason Segel's level of (movie star) bloatedness as the show went on -- a clear parallel to Matthew Perry -- and Cobie Smulders' increased (movie star) emaciation, like a premature Courteney Cox. Alyson Hannigan and Josh Radnor only look different based on their makeup and hair, and Neil Patrick Harris looks the same.

I have no strong feelings about the finale either, but I do know that I was glad to be done with it. In the summer of 2005 I was mailed a DVD with the pilot episodes of HIMYM and Everybody Hates Chris. All I remember about that DVD is thinking that the music wasn't finalized because they kept using Beck's "E-Pro" as filler between scenes. And that I liked the pilot: narrating a story like that required a lot of ambition, but more importantly, it had a clear beginning and ending to it. The biggest problem with TV shows is that they don't know how to end, and this show seemed like it had a grand design to say what it needed to say and no more.

And then it went on for 9 seasons, most of which I saw. HIMYM wasn't appointment viewing for me, but an investment of my time, and I needed to see it through. The reason that the finale was the show's most watched episode is because everyone else who was invested needed to see how it ended too. And it clearly demonstrated that, despite a very well-defined conceit, the showrunners did not know what they were doing, and in the last season acted like football coaches with poor time management.

Also my favorite sitcom, and I absolutely hated the ending. Spoilers below.

I have no problem with sad things happening - Marshall's dad's death was one of the high points of the series - but they still have to make sense in the context of the show. Marshall having a job he hated for years after the timeline, for example, made sense - it was a price for his move-to-Italy sacrifice. Even the what I assume you're referring to as the "predicted twist" makes sense in the context of the structure of the show, and was foreshadowed more specifically than that. But everything else was awful.

My favorite review I've read so far (lost the link) did make it a little understandable to me though. This was the opposite problem of Lost (I actually liked that finale, but that's another story) - instead of not knowing where the show would end up when they started, they knew the EXACT ending when they started. The problem is, the show lasted much, much longer than they expected. Their ending would have made sense after four seasons of HIMYM. Barney becoming "reformed" by his daughter would have been believable and made sense... except that we just spent three seasons being convinced that he had been reformed by Robin, and that was thrown away in ten minutes. The way that Barney evolved, while still keeping some of his craziness and trickery, was another high point of the show - but if three seasons of that gets thrown away in ten minutes, why should I believe that his transformation due to a 30 second (very nicely acted) scene? Tracy was another high point of the show, and now she's essentially not any different than Victoria or Stella? Again, that could have made sense if we didn't have an entire season getting to know her. The writers needed to be more flexible in their ending as the show evolved.

The scene of their initial meeting on the train station was perfect and a huge sign of wasted potential to me. I can appreciate the willingness to take risks, but this was a huge miss, and unfortunately taints at least some of the great moments that came before.

I wasn't too keen on the ending but understand why they did it. I would have preferred a "happy ending" were the mother lived. (That one is flowing around the internet) I applaud the creators for having a plan and sticking to it even though they had to know mid season that it would be unpopular. The main reason for that was the casting of the mother. SHE WAS TOO PERECT. It didn't help that the last hour of the show made Robin so unlikable and overall felt rushed.

I hated it; Wander pretty well articulated the reasons why. If you're writing a long-form story and you know the ending, you write *towards* that ending, not in the opposite direction only to abruptly change course at the end.

It would have worked a lot better IMO if Barney & Robin's wedding (and Ted meeting Tracy) was the end of S8, and then S9 was devoted to the years after the wedding. That really could have given those abrupt course changes some time to breathe and allowed them to "land".

Spoilers below in white...

Didn't like it at all. Putting Ted and Robin together at the end just felt like a total cop out. We'd been convinced that Robin loves Barney and vice versa, and that Ted was OK with letting Robin go. And then all that was thrown away in about 10 minutes of screen time. And the reason was that Robin's job traveling the world as a news reporter was too much for Barney to take because they were apart all the time, yet Ted's going to be cool with it even though he has two kids as a single parent? Don't buy it.

It just seemed like they invested the entire season into getting Ted and Tracy together, and when it finally happened they threw it away rather quickly to put him back with Robin, whom they've spent two seasons telling us has moved on.

Even Barney's "change" seemed awkward and forced, and the fact that we never even learned the name of "miss 31" was incredibly cheap.

Given that the last show I saw end was Dexter, this was another unsatisfying end to a show. In my opinion, they tried to be witty and make some sort of point, but in a sitcom that was all about friendship and finding the love of your life, they didn't have to. All they needed to do was wrap it up in a nice bow and send everyone home. And that's what they should have done.
    "There can BE only one."

Seeing as the show aired a week ago, I think the "be careful about spoilers" moment has long since passed.

Anyway, I was frustrated all season long as they seemed to be bringing Ted and Robin together -- the locket and other heartfelt moments -- but we, the audience, knew that could not happen. It took some real work the past couple seasons convincing us that Robin (a no-nonsense woman who will not tolerate a less than a full, honest partnership in a relationship) would wind up with Barney (a horrible womanizer who seemed to have no interest in being with only one woman or in developing a meaningful, trustworthy relationship). They hammered it down our throats again and again until we finally bought it. I think the episode where Barney destroyed the Playbook was the one that finally sold it for me. "Ok, I'm in on this relationship being real and workable."

And then they blew it up in 5 minutes of screen time over the fact that she traveled too much or something like that? Whaaaat? Made no sense and just pissed me off. Then, they spend the rest of the episode driving Robin away from the rest of the group. Her relationship with Lilly sucks, she confides that she cannot stand to be around Barney (her ex) or Ted (the one she let get away). And after that we are supposed to be happy that she and Ted end up together 5 minutes later? Come on! Of course the audience felt jerked around and manipulated!

I get that the final twist -- Ted's kids recognizing that he has always loved Robin -- was planned several years ago and I suppose I admire that they planned all this out far in advance and then pulled it off (hey, Damon Lindelhoff, you should talk to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas about planning a multi-season show!!). Still, it felt like a cheap, manipulative twist and it required some very awkward machinations over the course of the past 15+ episodes. Ugh!

The problem is that we got used to the ways these characters act and especially how they interact among each other. But, the final season and especially the final episode, required the show to throw all that out the window so we could have the characters end up the way the show wanted them to. That is what we all have negative feelings about -- the fact that none of this felt "right."

-Jason "I still enjoyed the show and am glad I watched -- at least this wasn't as bad an ending as Lost!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I get that the final twist -- Ted's kids recognizing that he has always loved Robin -- was planned several years ago and I suppose I admire that they planned all this out far in advance and then pulled it off (hey, Damon Lindelhoff, you should talk to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas about planning a multi-season show!!).
    They've been so good at planning things out in the past. Two examples:

There's one episode in Season 4 with a flashforward of Thanksgiving dinner at Marshall's house in Minnesota. Marshall's dad isn't there. This is two entire seasons before his death.

The ninth episode of the entire show (ie, Season 1) has a stripper introducing herself to Ted by telling him her real name, Tracy. Ted then narrates "And that's how I met your mother" and his kids flip out. But the kids wouldn't have believed it if her name was anything else.

But here, it's a case of being too rigid with planning, and I don't think it's an example that Lindelhoff or anyone else should look to for inspiration.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I get that the final twist -- Ted's kids recognizing that he has always loved Robin -- was planned several years ago and I suppose I admire that they planned all this out far in advance and then pulled it off (hey, Damon Lindelhoff, you should talk to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas about planning a multi-season show!!). Still, it felt like a cheap, manipulative twist and it required some very awkward machinations over the course of the past 15+ episodes. Ugh!

The problem is that we got used to the ways these characters act and especially how they interact among each other. But, the final season and especially the final episode, required the show to throw all that out the window so we could have the characters end up the way the show wanted them to. That is what we all have negative feelings about -- the fact that none of this felt "right."

-Jason "I still enjoyed the show and am glad I watched -- at least this wasn't as bad an ending as Lost!" Evans
    Two things:

First (and on-topic): I wonder if the planning out WAS the mistake (or sticking WITH the planning). I've read several interesting books* and numerous articles about many highly-serialized shows, and something that crops up again and again is that TV shows can be very organic in how they grow and evolve in ways that defy their original vision. Actors turn out to have surprising abilities (exceptional charisma, brilliant comedic timing, etc.), or surprising characters resonate, or the showrunners flat-out change their minds about something critical, and the finished product ends up WAY different from the original idea for very good reasons.

I wonder if a lot of the problem here is essentially that HIMYM shoe-horned a once-round-but-now-square peg into the original round hole.

Second (and off-topic): I read several long articles on what happened behind the scenes at Lost, and I am now convinced that the REAL villain in that show leading us on the way it did is JJ Abrams, rather than Lindelhof and/or Cuse. It's complicated, but much of the original vision of the pilot was JJ's, and then he became the hottest director on the planet and was outta there, leaving a couple of previously-staff-level-writers showrunning (for the first time and with little guidance or preparation) the hottest and most complicated network show in years.

--alteran

* I highly recommend both The Revolution Was Televised and Difficult Men: Behind the Scenes of a Creative Revolution (please note they cover similar ground), if you're a fan of Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Lost, etc.

I always thought that like shows of old, they should have recorded four or five different scenes with the kids so they'd have options. Plus, like shows of old, it would aid secrecy.

Himym

Thanks a lot for the responses. I think most of you make a lot of sense.

Wander I think your view sums up my feelings, although Kdogg put his finger on one key element -- the Mother was too perfect.

I was playing around, trying to come up with my 10 favorite episodes and I realized that over half of my candidates came from Season Four and Season Five -- so I'd have to say that personally, that ws the high point of the series. Although my all-time favorite episode is from Season Seven -- The Symphony of Illumination (the episode where Robin tells her two kids how she met their father). Tremendous punch in the gut climax, followed by a terrific, uplifting ending (that DID build the Ted-Robin connection). Just ahead of Roberts vs. Wrestlers in Season Five and Slap Bet in Season Two (which introduces Robin Sparkles).

BTW: Interesting tidbits about Ted's two kids (who are listening to the nine-year story). The son, David Henrie, was familiar to me as Selena Gomez's older brother is the Disney sitcom The Wizards of Waverly Place. The daughter, actress Lyndsy Fonseca, has a major role in the movie Kick*ss -- she plays Katie, the girlfriend of the title character (she also had a major role on Desperate Housewives, although I never watched that).

Wander I think your view sums up my feelings, although Kdogg put his finger on one key element -- the Mother was too perfect.

I was playing around, trying to come up with my 10 favorite episodes
    I have no idea how I'd pick 10, but in regards to the previous statement, I think "Bass Player Wanted" and "How Your Mother Met Me" would both be included.

...the Mother was too perfect...
    Yeah, I get this a lot in my day to day life. It's tough for even sitcom moms to measure up sometimes.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah, I get this a lot in my day to day life. It's tough for even sitcom moms to measure up sometimes.
    I've always wondered about sitcom moms, and their choices. They are nearly always FAR better looking than their spouses: i.e.

The Honeymooners
    The Dick Vandyke Show
    Green Acres
    Bewitched
    Addams Family
    Happy Days
    Flintstones
    Bob Newhart Show
    Family Ties
    Newhart
    Mad About You
    Yes Dear
    Simpsons
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    King of Queens
    According to Jim
    George Lopez Show
    Family Guy
    Modern Family

Of course, maybe this entire genre is just trying to balance out Roseanne.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Bewitched
    +1

yorksargent.jpg

+1 Darrin Stephens, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I've always wondered about sitcom moms, and their choices. They are nearly always FAR better looking than their spouses...
    That's true in real life, too...at least here in Casa weezie and I'm assuming in Mrs. BD80's house, too.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

That's true in real life, too...at least here in Casa weezie and I'm assuming in Mrs. BD80's house, too.
    That's just cause gals think with the head on their shoulders.

True Dat! Perfect except (thank the gods) for her taste in men! I'm afraid to suggest she have her eyes checked.

So believe it or not, I just watched the finale (yeah, just a tad behind on my DVR). I'll say a few things:

First - I've always really enjoyed this show. Saw the first episode the night is aired and watched every season after. As another poster said, in years 4-5 this was the best comedy on TV (by far), and as I think even JE said back then it was amazing how the writers saved the show. After year 3 it seemed they had run out of ideas, and the pestering question of "When will Ted finally meet her" was driving everyone crazy, when suddenly the writers realized they could focus on the great chemistry between the 5 stars and put the "Mother thing" on the back burner. What we got was great, great (and real) television.

Second - even in the last year (which I think was the worst) there were several episodes that were just outstanding (loved the rhyming one, enjoyed Bass Player Wanted, enjoyed How Your Mom Met Me). That's what was great about this show - every now and then an episode was just truly outstanding (again in earlier seasons that happened with regularity).

Third - I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the finale was really good. Mainly because it seemed authentic. Everyone knew that Barney and Robin were not going to make it. We could see that a million miles away. Heck, the last three episodes everyone was wondering if they would even get married. The fact is tons of couples get married for just the reasons they did, and with just the doubts they did, and most don't make it. I also believe the group pulling apart. That happens too. Especially in your mid to late 30's as people start having kids and the demands of life and your career get in the way. It just does.

Fourth - I think people are missing the point about Robin and Ted and the Mother. Ted loved the Mother. Completely. More than he loved Robin. She was the love of his life. Robin was someone that he also loved. Life is tricky. There's not that "one" person. There are lots of "ones." And Ted was lucky to find more than one. I think he must have been lost and broken when she died, but she taught him that it's the journey and the love that matter, and that the outcome isn't always as we want it to be. That it took him 6 years to ask out Robin shows just how much he loved Tracy (at least it showed me that). I kind of knew that the Mother would die - just had that feeling, though I wish she hadn't.

Fifth - the scene with the two of them under the umbrella was....just fantastic. It's hard to make a scene with a 9 year buildup that good...but boy the two of them knocked it out of the park. They oozed chemistry, and both were equally funny and charming and intrigued by the other. They could tell it was one of those moments that would change the course of their life. Kudos to both.

Last - I agree that the scene with his kids seemed forced (them saying he should ask out Robin), and there were lots of part of the last episode that seemed rushed, and I didn't like the way Robin came across at all (nor did I like her hair at the very end), but I still was pretty pleased with how everything played out. It was fun to see the last clips of everyone when they were saying their names (and just how young they all appeared - we got to watch them grow up literally and figuratively). NPH was great in his scene with the baby, even if it was a forced scene.

I'll miss this show. It was the most realistic version of what it's like to grow up, have friends and fall in love, that I've ever seen on TV.