Good Game- Still Not Enough

Are Duke team played a hech of a game,
    But once again it was'nt enough to overcome UVA

Chris Long was way to strong for our OL , and it took its toll late in the game

Only a couple good things were shown today

Mike Tililialili is BACK, other than that NOTHING!!!

We only scored 13 points because of some Rookie mistakes by

Proggressing and playing a good game, is getting old

If not 2 wins by Ted Roof this year he should be gone!

2 wins?

UVA played horribly today - 10 of our 13 points were a direct result of UVA snapping the ball way over the head of the punter, giving us a safety and very short TD drive. Duke basically did nothing on offense for the umpteenth time in the last 4 years.

I don't see 2 wins this year, but I don't want our AD involved in hiring another coach either. I guess we should just give up the sport - or have we already?

Allenmurray, who is a) better than Roof and b) would accept the job?

Players have to make plays. Roof can't make them himself.

The offense has been very underwhelming. Defense stiffened a bit this week, so that was good.

-
    I have to figure out how OSU could only put up 20 on Akron.

I think "good" game is a very generous interpretation. Virginia simply made a horrendous number of unforced mistakes and Duke still wasn't able to pull off the win. And make no mistake, when it was 17-13 and the 'Hoos were pinned back inside their 20, it was a winnable game for Duke. It was there for the taking. And Duke didn't take it.

>If not 2 wins by Ted Roof this year he should be gone!

Now that's what I call a rather demanding standard. Our expectations could not possibly be more depressing.

Yeah I Know

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Allenmurray, who is a) better than Roof and b) would accept the job?

Players have to make plays. Roof can't make them himself.

The offense has been very underwhelming. Defense stiffened a bit this week, so that was good.

-
    I have to figure out how OSU could only put up 20 on Akron.
    If there was any coach i would name them!

But yeah,OSU just got cocky and overwhellemes

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Are Duke team played a hech of a game,
    But once again it was'nt enough to overcome UVA

Chris Long was way to strong for our OL , and it took its toll late in the game
    we need/have needed an O-line. even if you have solid to good players at the skill positions, as we do, we can't do anything without a good o-line...

O-line

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    we need/have needed an O-line. even if you have solid to good players at the skill positions, as we do, we can't do anything without a good o-line...
    Looking at the roster on goduke.com, it appears we have 6 OL that range from 6'1" to 6'8" and from 280-310 lbs. That group consists of 4 jr and 2 sr and are listed as 3 OG, 2 OT and 1 C. I think another poster (jimsumner?) recently said that 2 of those guys just came back from recent injuries and were playing their 1st game of the year, or limited action in their 2nd game. There are also several R-Fr and Fr listed that are HUGE. Don't know where they all fit on the depth chart, but hopefully the upper classmen are well experienced and conditioned and not being overwhelmed as our inexperienced OL has been in recent years. Just trying to find some hope for the rest of the year, though 5 sacks on Saturday is not the stat I want to see

I don't think Jim is a youngster or anything, but I nominate him for any position in the kicking game.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

UVA is bad

I said it in another post, but it really bears repeating. Coming close vs UVA is not indicative of progress in any way, shape, or form.

UVA is bad. I mean, really, really, bad. They got crushed by a mediocre team last week. In the ACC, only Duke is definitely worse, but UNC may be worse than UVA (we'll find out this week). But, we three are easily the worst teams in conference, and that is really saying something this year. In Fact, there is a reasonable chance that Duke, UVA, and UNC are the three worst BCS teams in the nation. Certainly, we three are in the bottom 6, regardless of what ESPN might say.

Two of the ACC's better teams got raped on national TV this past week. The games were on the road, so winning was perhaps out of reach, but both squads were dominated in every aspect of the game. The ACC's top ranked team is 15th and that might be generous. In all likelihood, a very mediocre BC, GT, or Clem will take the ACC this year. Our league might not have a single team that would have a winning conference record in the SEC or Pac-10 (depending on the conference schedule).

So, being the Jokes of the ACC is really bad this year.

UVA would be the Duke of virtually every other major conference, essentially a gimme win for other programs. Barely losing to these guys, especially in a game not nearly as close as the final score indicates, is just more proof Duke is light years from winning.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    In Fact, there is a reasonable chance that Duke, UVA, and UNC are the three worst BCS teams in the nation.
    Clearly you haven't seen Syracuse yet!

Or Iowa State.

Not sure UNC so bad

I'm not sure UNC should be on the list; after all, didn't they crush James Madison, a team that is top ten in the underbelly division (our opponent next year and next win).

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    a team that is top ten in the underbelly division (our opponent next year and next win).
    Happen to catch the Richmond game last year? (I don't know what they were ranked at the time, but they're not even in the 1-AA top 25 this year. JMU, with their loss, is #9.)

Numerous mistakes by UVA? I was there and there were 2 over the head snaps. Special teams caused one fumble, blocked a FG and returned it 60 yards; defense caused another fumble (Tauliili forced, Jones recovered). Surgan absolutely failed us again. Saw one kid take his finger and jab it in Surgan's chest on the sideline after his third missed FG, and the team basically left him a corner. Good. If that doesn't wake him up, then I'm not sure what will.

Georgia Tech has a very good team. Clemson and Florida State are, in my opinion, two of the better defensive squads in the country. I think that the old story holds true this year that no matter who you are or how good you think you are, if you walk into Death Valley that way, you might walk out thinking about something else.

Size doesn't matter

I don't think its just the size of the OL that should be looked at. And, while high school ratings of individual football players are far from perfect, they do provide some relative framework. In the last seven years (according to rivals.com), Duke has brought in 4 offensive linemen rated 3 stars or better. One has transferred and now plays at Villanova while the other 3 are extremely young - a freshman, a redshirt freshman and a sophomore. To put it in perspective, Florida State brought in 6 offensive linemen rated 3 stars or better (two of them 4 stars) in their most recent class.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    UVA is bad. I mean, really, really, bad. They got crushed by a mediocre team last week. In the ACC, only Duke is definitely worse, but UNC may be worse than UVA (we'll find out this week). But, we three are easily the worst teams in conference, and that is really saying something this year. In Fact, there is a reasonable chance that Duke, UVA, and UNC are the three worst BCS teams in the nation. Certainly, we three are in the bottom 6, regardless of what ESPN might say.

UVA would be the Duke of virtually every other major conference, essentially a gimme win for other programs. Barely losing to these guys, especially in a game not nearly as close as the final score indicates, is just more proof Duke is light years from winning.

Patrick Yates
    I wish I could disagree with you...once you guys pulled it to 17-13, we did have one solid 82-yard drive to put the game away, on the shoulders of our true freshman quarterback. We're all hoping that drive (and not the rest of our first 2 games) is a precursor of what is to come!