Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I went and found this on the Internet - says starters were Mullins, Buckley, Marin, Tison and Vacendak.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...3-21-duke.html

I certainly should have remembered Jay Buckley because he and Tison gave Duke a tremendous height advantage.

Maybe someone needs to ask Jack or Steve,

SoCal

This is incorrect ... here's another part of sportsstats that has the right lineup (it has every postseason boxscore for Duke that year):

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/boxlines/DUKE/1964

Beyond the conflicting info on the same mega-site, I can tell you because I was there. I guarantee you that Buzzy Harrison and Denny Ferguson were the starters -- while Marin and Vacendak came off the bench.

Sage: The comment about Clay looking just like his father -- Clay was a dead ringer facially ... but he was much, MYCH stockier than Jay (at least during his playing days).

BTW: The box score SoCal sites also lists Ken Washington of UCLA as a starter and he clearly came off the bench. Indeed, for years he was famous for having one of the great off-the-bench performances in NCAA Final Four history.
    Last edited by Olympic Fan; 04-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks

Well I guess clears it up.

SoCal

"A very harsh preview of the Feb. 15 Duke-Davidson game (which called Buckley Duke's weakest link)"

Leading to a new nickname within the team: Link

I was there. Buckley started. Slaughter, their tallest player at 6'5", injured his back early and did not play much after that. Washington just killed us. After getting past Michigan in the semi's (with an injured Cazzie Russel), I was sure we would win the championship. Alas, not.

[1965) QUOTE=Olympic Fan;723491]This is incorrect ... here's another part of sportsstats that has the right lineup (it has every postseason boxscore for Duke that year):

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/boxlines/DUKE/1964

Beyond the conflicting info on the same mega-site, I can tell you because I was there. I guarantee you that Buzzy Harrison and Denny Ferguson were the starters -- while Marin and Vacendak came off the bench.

Sage: The comment about Clay looking just like his father -- Clay was a dead ringer facially ... but he was much, MYCH stockier than Jay (at least during his playing days).

BTW: The box score SoCal sites also lists Ken Washington of UCLA as a starter and he clearly came off the bench. Indeed, for years he was famous for having one of the great off-the-bench performances in NCAA Final Four history.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're correct regarding Duke's starting five. I know that Jay Buckley and Hack Tison were in the starting lineup, but had forgotten about Denny Ferguson. I was sooooo convinced Duke was going to win their first NCAAT Championship and was rooting hard for the Blue Devils. The very next year(Jan 15th, 1965) I was inducted into The US Army. Spending 1 year in Hawaii and 1 year in Viet Nam with the 25th Infantry, headquarters company. My company commander was a huge Duke fan and I became one of his favorites. Man, that was a long time ago. God has been good to me. GoDuke!