Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

UNC's McAdoo Enters Draft

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209452335

If not new-thread worthy, I apologize...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Wow, not expecting that. Fringe 1st-round at best? At this point, returning for his senior year could only boost his stock (a la Mason), right? It can't get much lower, can it? From a Duke perspective this is cool, b/c it weakens UNC next year. Wonder what Ol' Roy's response was when first told the news?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

If this were 2012, it would have been.

Congrats to JMM for his successful escape from prison. Best of Luck to him!

May the others follow his example and leave Chapel Hill in Fats' rental cars

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Wow, not expecting that. Fringe 1st-round at best? At this point, returning for his senior year could only boost his stock (a la Mason), right? It can't get much lower, can it? From a Duke perspective this is cool, b/c it weakens UNC next year. Wonder what Ol' Roy's response was when first told the news?
    Well, he went from a likely top 5-10 pick after freshman year, to top 20 after his sophomore year...to now. So, certainly it can get lower. DraftExpress has him in mid-second round in next year's draft.

"He's been extremely important to North Carolina Basketball and Roy Williams." -Roy Williams
    Roy still uses the third person? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I'm guessing "shucks" or "daggumit"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    If this were 2012, it would have been.
    Are we sure he doesn't think he's entering the 2012 Draft?

I mean, he *does* go to UNC....

Hilarious comment on McAdoo's college career, in the clever guise of Tm's self-effacing "apology." To be clear, I am laughing with, not at, the devious Tm. Always making trouble.

No self-effacement on my part. Instead, absolutely straightforward crow-consuming, as in the aftermath of his 2 all-star games, I pronounced JMM UNC's "next great player." I saw no reason to change this prediction at end of his frosh year, as he seemed a worthy contributor, understandably subsuming his greatness to the Heels' established stars, biding his time.

During his soph campaign, I still missed the bloody obvious, his, uh, inefficiencies.

I don't follow NBA at all, except to check box scores for Duke, and sometimes UNC, guys. But I'll be curious about JMM's next couple of years.

Strange. I guess he decided that he didn't want to risk another season of his draft stock falling, and hopes he'll still be a first round pick. But man, that doesn't seem like a certainty at all.

In terms of how it affects UNC, I'm not sure that this is the end of the world. They will have Brice Johnson and Isiah Hicks at PF next year. McAdoo might be better than those two (emphasis on "might"), but I don't think the dropoff from McAdoo to Hicks is that big. The Heels should still be really good, as they add 3 perimeter players to the mix (including an upgrade at PG).

Their lineup will probably be:
    PG - Berry (backup Britt)
    SG - Paige (backup Pinson)
    SF - Tokoto (backup Jackson)
    PF - Johnson (backups Hicks, Simmons)
    C - Meeks (backups James, Hubert)

DraftExpress from September 17, 2012:

"While it can be difficult to project the trajectory of underclassmen who are about to undergo major role changes at high-profile programs like North Carolina, McAdoo's situation seems like a safe bet [to be lottery]..."
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-McAdoo-5763/

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Strange. I guess he decided that he didn't want to risk another season of his draft stock falling, and hopes he'll still be a first round pick. But man, that doesn't seem like a certainty at all.

In terms of how it affects UNC, I'm not sure that this is the end of the world. They will have Brice Johnson and Isiah Hicks at PF next year. McAdoo might be better than those two (emphasis on "might"), but I don't think the dropoff from McAdoo to Hicks is that big. The Heels should still be really good, as they add 3 perimeter players to the mix (including an upgrade at PG).

Their lineup will probably be:
    PG - Berry (backup Britt)
    SG - Paige (backup Pinson)
    SF - Tokoto (backup Jackson)
    PF - Johnson (backups Hicks, Simmons)
    C - Meeks (backups James, Hubert)
    I think Jackson might get more PT than Tokoto. I'm watching out for Brice Johnson. He seemed to come on at the end of the season, and he could have a breakout year. The guy has a lot of talent. With Meeks, Johnson, Jackson, and Tokoto on the roster (mostly Meeks and Johnson I guess), McAdoo could have been looking at a further reduction in his '15 draft stock.

Bottom line though is that any departure of a uncch starter is good for us, and therefore the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I'm watching out for Brice Johnson.
    Amen, or rather, curses. A former McAdoo-believer, I might now go so far as to say, "Addition by subtraction." Brice Johnson had, arguably, a better year than JMM this season. Better ppm, rpm. Blocks shots, better FT%, much better FG%, with a go-to baseline jump-hook. JMM never developed a go-to. Blame Roy?

UNC will have plenty of talent, a little less experience, strong team.

Wheat, other Heel-posters, chime in on JMM, please.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Congrats to JMM for his successful escape from prison. Best of Luck to him!
    Hmmm . . .
    Must have finished all the "Jemima Puddle-Duck" books in the UNC "Student Athlete" Library.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 04-03-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Jackson looks like someone that can replace McAdoo pretty adequately, and he might even be able to make a free throw. Good luck to Mr. McAdoo in the NBA, hopefully someone there teaches him how to read if he hasn't learned yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I think Jackson might get more PT than Tokoto. I'm watching out for Brice Johnson. He seemed to come on at the end of the season, and he could have a breakout year. The guy has a lot of talent. With Meeks, Johnson, Jackson, and Tokoto on the roster (mostly Meeks and Johnson I guess), McAdoo could have been looking at a further reduction in his '15 draft stock.

Bottom line though is that any departure of a uncch starter is good for us, and therefore the universe.
    Yeah, I struggled with the SF spot. Jackson is certainly a threat to start. But Williams has a history of going with upperclassmen over freshman to start (see Hicks this year). So I think Tokoto will be the starter.

That said, I think both Jackson and Tokoto will play a LOT of minutes next year (along with Paige and Berry on the perimeter).

And I totally agree about Johnson. I think he was better than McAdoo anyway.

Yeah, I struggled with the SF spot. Jackson is certainly a threat to start. But Williams has a history of going with upperclassmen over freshman to start (see Hicks this year). So I think Tokoto will be the starter.

That said, I think both Jackson and Tokoto will play a LOT of minutes next year (along with Paige and Berry on the perimeter).
    Tokoto's defense will keep him in the lineup. And his offense is picking up a bit... Roy has been playing deep lineups the past few years, so Jackson will see plenty of time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Amen, or rather, curses. A former McAdoo-believer, I might now go so far as to say, "Addition by subtraction." Brice Johnson had, arguably, a better year than JMM this season. Better ppm, rpm. Blocks shots, better FT%, much better FG%, with a go-to baseline jump-hook.
    Yeah, I don't actually see the argument for McAdoo over Johnson. Next year's UNC team might have gotten better today.

I disagree with those who think this does not hurt the Heels severely for next year. JMM has been a very good player even if he hasn't lived up to all the hype. Look at Florida and you will see how important it is to have more experienced players. After seeing how good their incoming freshman looked last night they would have been really hard to handle next year if he stayed for one more year. Unfortunately, they are going to be hard enough to handle without him . . .
    Last edited by Bob Green; 04-03-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm guessing "shucks" or "daggumit"
    I'll bet that does not put ol roy in the tax-filing season spirit.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    DraftExpress from September 17, 2012:

"While it can be difficult to project the trajectory of underclassmen who are about to undergo major role changes at high-profile programs like North Carolina, McAdoo's situation seems like a safe bet [to be lottery]..."
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-McAdoo-5763/
    I feel bad for any of these kids that stick around in college and lose their luster in scouts' eyes due to "overexposure", even one at Carolina.

The funny thing is that so many of these kids turn out to be keepers in the NBA. From Duke, Boozer, McRoberts, and Singler all come to mind as great "value" picks in the second round, whatever that means.

The NBA draft is a strange animal. I think NBA teams would benefit from relying less on the eye test and incorporating more statistical analysis into their picks - a la Billy Beane in Moneyball.