Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    How about The Landlord? He might enjoy being at the end of K's bench more than playing in China. Candace might enjoy working out at Duke's facilities, too. I'm sure the ladies of DWB wouldn't mind her being around.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

JWill has definitely got a lot going on. Just got my new GQ and he and JJ are featured in a spread TOGETHER.

My Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Wut?

Jason earned a degree in sociology from Duke in three years before moving on to the NBA.

And, as InSpades alluded to, his No. 22 jersey is hanging in Cameron. Unless that is Jay Heaps'...
    I think I misunderstood some comment during the dunk contest.

I now see no reason for Jason to come back to Duke to be a coach unless he wants to get into coaching.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I just don't see JWill coming back to be an assistant coach at Duke.

He seems to have so much other stuff going on in his life. He seems to enjoy the ESPN gig and I would his other activities.

Of course his jersey is not retired. Maybe he could be an assistant coach, take some classes, get the degree and then hang the jersey.

Actually I give this the some likelihood as I do of K adopting the 5 on 5 sub system for all of the next season.

SoCal
    I thought he had a job working as an agent or for an agency? I can easily imagine him giving up the ESPN gig, but the other stuff? I love Jay but he still seems torn about what to do is always wearing multiple hats. I would hope that if he takes the job K would have a long talk about the length of time he is committing to, but that's just me.
    The Gordog

I now see no reason for Jason to come back to Duke to be a coach unless he wants to get into coaching.

SoCal
    This is the question, right? If he doesn't want to get into coaching, there's no way he would do it. If he wants to get into coaching, there's no way he wouldn't do it (if offered and terms were right, and I don't think they'd be haggling over $).

Talking

SoCal
    So...Williams is unlikely to get into coaching unless he wants to get into coaching.

SoCal
    There was a comment about Shelden having his # retired and Jalen Rose was mockingly upset about it. The 3rd commentator mentioned something about it assuming JWill's # wasn't retired but he too missed out on what Jalen was getting at. I assume Jalen is upset because his # isn't retired at Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    There was a comment about Shelden having his # retired and Jalen Rose was mockingly upset about it. The 3rd commentator mentioned something about it assuming JWill's # wasn't retired but he too missed out on what Jalen was getting at. I assume Jalen is upset because his # isn't retired at Michigan.
    Jalen is upset because he's Jalen.

Jalen doesn't drink booze. Maybe he should start to calm himself down. Works for many of us!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Has this turned into Duke Big Man Bingo yet? I can think of a few names no one's mentioned yet.

David McClure
    Lee Melchionni
    Patrick Johnson
    Reggie Love
    Shav Randolph (will he be in the league next year?)
    Andre Sweet
    Casey Sanders
    Andy Borman
    Matt Christensen
    Taymon Domzalski (have they erected his statue at UVA yet?)
    Roshown McLeod
    Carmen Wallace
    Greg Newton
    Erik Meeks (what duke trivia question is he the answer to?)
    Chief
    Stan Brunson
    Tony Moore
    Alaa
    Robrt Brickey
    Marty Nessley (maybe he can help with the recent foul troubles?)

I'm sure I missed a few. Did anyone already suggest g-man or Mark Alarie?

Something tells me that Dan Meagher is not under consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Has this turned into Duke Big Man Bingo yet? I can think of a few names no one's mentioned yet.

David McClure
    Lee Melchionni
    Patrick Johnson
    Reggie Love
    Andre Sweet
    Casey Sanders
    Andy Borman
    Matt Christensen
    Roshown McLeod
    Carmen Wallace
    Greg Newton
    Chief
    Stan Brunson
    Tony Moore
    Alaa
    Robrt Brickey

There has to be some sort of age cutoff for plausibility. Not sure what it is, but I don't think a 55 year old guy without coaching experience (other than K Academy) is going to want to switch careers like that and become an assistant. Long list of people not in that position though, I have to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I felt like he was implying that he was a better college player than Shelden was. (Plus Rose is an admitted Duke hater)

Jalen Rose's college stats at UM: 17.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.9 assists, 3.1 turnovers, .2 blocks, 1.2 steals, 73.8% FT, 46.4% FG, 33.6% 3pt

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...en-rose-1.html

Shelden Williams' college stats at Duke: 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, .9 assists, 1.2 steals, 3.0 blocks, 57.2 FG%, 69.4% FT

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...illiams-1.html

Most of the reason Shelden's stats were a bit lower is that he didn't play much in his freshman year as his other years (19 mpg vs ~30mpg his sophomore-senior years).

Williams was a two time DPOY and a one-time first team all-american. Rose only made 2nd team AA once.

I'd say that Williams' career was more illustrious than Rose's.

David McClure
    Lee Melchionni
    Patrick Johnson
    Reggie Love
    Andre Sweet
    Casey Sanders
    Andy Borman
    Matt Christensen
    Roshown McLeod
    Carmen Wallace
    Greg Newton
    Chief
    Stan Brunson
    Tony Moore
    Alaa
    Robrt Brickey

I vote for Patrick Davidson to coach the bigs.

I'm sure I missed a few.
    Zoubek+Z.jpg

The Questio really is

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    This is the question, right? If he doesn't want to get into coaching, there's no way he would do it. If he wants to get into coaching, there's no way he wouldn't do it (if offered and terms were right, and I don't think they'd be haggling over $).

If JWill really wants to get into coaching, why now? Why not several years ago?

Maybe if he did not like what he was doing now but he seems to enjoy it and I think the money is good.

I do think he has or had a home in Durham.

Hard for me to see him giving up ESPN and his other activities to become an assistant coach when he could have started a coaching career several years ago.

SoCal

If JWill really wants to get into coaching, why now? Why not several years ago?

Maybe if he did not like what he was doing now but he seems to enjoy it and I think the money is good.

I do think he has or had a home in Durham.

Hard for me to see him giving up ESPN and his other activities to become an assistant coach when he could have started a coaching career several years ago.

SoCal
    Hubert Davis just did it.

I trust that whoever Coach K picks, they will be the right guy with the right skills for this stage. But if my opinion mattered, I'd argue for Antonio Lang.

• High School Valedictorian
    • Significant contributor all 4 years at Duke
    • Spent 6 seasons in the NBA
    • Journeyman in the CBA, Phillipines and Japan
    • Assistant Coach, Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins 2006-2010
    • Head Coach, Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins 2010-present

That's a wide range of experience and would bring a significant amount of non-Duke perspective. Plus, he may want to come home. And he's tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Thanks, Mike. I don't think I believe either of those rumors. Jeff is going to Cal to become direct rivals with Johnny at Stanford? That's very un-Duke-family-like. Coach K doesn't even schedule games against assistants...
    Except even Coach K can't change the fact that due to conference consolidation Duke plays against former assistant Mike Brey at least once each season.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I felt like he was implying that he was a better college player than Shelden was. (Plus Rose is an admitted Duke hater)

Jalen Rose's college stats at UM: 17.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.9 assists, 3.1 turnovers, .2 blocks, 1.2 steals, 73.8% FT, 46.4% FG, 33.6% 3pt

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...en-rose-1.html

Shelden Williams' college stats at Duke: 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, .9 assists, 1.2 steals, 3.0 blocks, 57.2 FG%, 69.4% FT

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...illiams-1.html

Most of the reason Shelden's stats were a bit lower is that he didn't play much in his freshman year as his other years (19 mpg vs ~30mpg his sophomore-senior years).

Williams was a two time DPOY and a one-time first team all-american. Rose only made 2nd team AA once.

I'd say that Williams' career was more illustrious than Rose's.
    I had the same thoughts. Jalen brought it up like "if Shelden gets his # retired by Duke then there's no way my # shouldn't be retired by Michigan". The 3rd announcer thought the outrage was that JWill wasn't retired as well but JWill quickly corrected him about that. Jalen was very good from his freshman year... while Shelden improved greatly every year at Duke. Looking at career averages maybe they are similar level players but Jalen never had a year like Shelden's senior year. If you round up a bit you get to 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks and 2 steals. That's a MONSTER year. That's basically Jabari's offense/rebounding while being the best defensive player in the country. Obviously they were very different offensive players but the #s are comparable. Shelden was a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jalen is upset because he's Jalen.

Jalen doesn't drink booze. Maybe he should start to calm himself down. Works for many of us!
    Unless Jalen recently became sober, he does actually drink. There's pictures of him drinking with students at IU when he went there for College GameDay.