Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Unless Jalen recently became sober, he does actually drink. There's pictures of him drinking with students at IU when he went there for College GameDay.
    He also received a DUI a couple of years ago for which he spent 20 days in jail. At the time, there was speculation he had a problem.

As a big Pacers fan growing up, despite his attitude toward Duke, I always enjoyed watching Jalen play in the NBA. Hopefully he has conquered any problems he may have had.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    The common narrative of the Coach K coaching tree just chafes me so badly. Even my favorite curmudgeon, Tony K, got it wrong, claiming Tommy A failed at Seton Hall and then failed at Michigan. Well, as I recall, he did well at Seton Hall, and that's how he got the Michigan job. As for Michigan, well, they went on probation as the ink was drying on his contract. He was coaching with one hand tied behind his back, effectively, because of the Fab 5's historic transgressions. It must have been very hard to recruit in that environment, yet he had an overall winning record.

Of course, it's easier and quicker to just say that the coaching tree has failed. So what if it's a little inaccurate ... if it gets ratings, it is by definition right.
    Oh, and another one- I think it was well known among us that when JD arrived at Stanford, the cupboard was bare. Normally that calls for a few years of recruits before you give up on a guy, though these days some like Calipari can just reload very quickly. But a first-time HC, not likely to be able to do that. Still, at this point, the program is clearly his, so hopefully his full coaching talents will continue to do us proud.

Quinn had good success at Missouri before something was clearly rotten in Denmark. He's continued to do well working with the pros.

This is not to say that Coach K has the most successful coaching tree of all time ... just that it's not bad at all, and some of the rougher patches encountered by higher profile members are pretty explainable. I don't know enough about Brickey at Shaw or Henderson and Delaware to explain those, though. There may be no good excuse, for all I know. But I do chafe at hearing Amaker and Dawkins run down, given the hands they were dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Oh, and another one- I think it was well known among us that when JD arrived at Stanford, the cupboard was bare. Normally that calls for a few years of recruits before you give up on a guy, though these days some like Calipari can just reload very quickly. But a first-time HC, not likely to be able to do that. Still, at this point, the program is clearly his, so hopefully his full coaching talents will continue to do us proud.

Quinn had good success at Missouri before something was clearly rotten in Denmark. He's continued to do well working with the pros.

This is not to say that Coach K has the most successful coaching tree of all time ... just that it's not bad at all, and some of the rougher patches encountered by higher profile members are pretty explainable. I don't know enough about Brickey at Shaw or Henderson and Delaware to explain those, though. There may be no good excuse, for all I know. But I do chafe at hearing Amaker and Dawkins run down, given the hands they were dealt.
    Tough to be the most successful tree of all time when you're a branch from the most successful tree of all time.

A couple of ifs.

If Jason did come back to coach we would have the K and J on the bench. MIB (Men in Blue).

If Tyler Thornton moved to the bench to start his coaching career and became big man coach. OMG!!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    A couple of ifs.

If Jason did come back to coach we would have the K and J on the bench. MIB (Men in Blue).

If Tyler Thornton moved to the bench to start his coaching career and became big man coach. OMG!!
    Considering we're revamping with a several new starters in the lineup - not to mention ensuring last year doesn't reoccur - and Coach K has commitments outside of Duke this summer, we need experienced coaches, not another newby.

Not sure if this is the best thread for this or if it needs a new one. According to Jeff Goodman, retweeting Laura Keeley, on twitter, Jon Scheyer was introduced at the banquet tonight as the new assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this or if it needs a new one. According to Jeff Goodman, retweeting Laura Keeley, on twitter, Jon Scheyer was introduced at the banquet tonight as the new assistant coach.
    Excellent choice.

Glad to hear Jonny will be a presence on the Duke bench for years to come. One of my all-time special favorites, right there with Collins, Duhon, J.J. and Andre. Those are my guys.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    A couple of ifs.

This must happen now.

Hmmm, I would still like to see an official statement released on goduke.

Keeley's tweet was the following:

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 13h Jon Scheyer introduced as an assistant coach here at the #Duke banquet

-------------

That could mean anything. Did somebody merely refer to him as an assistant leaving off the word "special"?

Jon's status has not changed on the coaches page on goduke: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725

Still listed as "special assistant"

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 13h Jon Scheyer introduced as an assistant coach here at the #Duke banquet

-------------

That could mean anything. Did somebody merely refer to him as an assistant leaving off the word "special"?

Jon's status has not changed on the coaches page on goduke: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22725
    Is Jon the younger Duke assistant coach under K? He's, what, 26? Damn...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

-------------

Jon's status has not changed on the coaches page on goduke: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725

Still listed as "special assistant"
    I see your point, although I would guess Keeley should know the difference between "assistant coach" and "assistant" in this case.
    And Adam Rowe, who should also know the difference, tweeted the following from the banquet:
    Here @Duke_MBB banquet. @jonscheyer first #Duke Assistant Coach to present awards.
    Twitterverse now predictably full of follow up tweets including one that says Scheyer was named the "top assistant," replacing Wojo, which surely has no basis in fact.

But you are right that there has apparently been no official statement or confirmation of this. So I guess we will wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    GoDuke.com (which has removed Wojo) still lists Capel as "Associate Coach" and Nate as "Assistant Coach" and Jon as "Special Assistant" - so no official changes yet. I would expect a release from Duke if/when it becomes official.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Bob Harris simply introduced him as an assistant coach. I didn't take it to have any significance.

Of course, I do think it is possible that Jon could just move up to full assistant. Just have to wait and see what happens.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil