Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

JWill to be new Duke assistant coach?

Saw a report about Jay Williams talking about the job, and I don't think it's legit, so I removed it.
    Last edited by Dukehky; 04-02-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I fact checked, didn't check out.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Saw a report about Jay Williams talking about the job, and I don't think it's legit, so I removed it.
    Considering that Jason is the managing partner at Leverage Agency (a sports and media agency), I think bringing him in as an assistant coach would be very problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Here is the report. Seems somewhat legit. The Big Lead isn't exactly the NY Times but it ain't the National Enquirer either.

Jay Williams, the former Duke point guard and current ESPN analyst, is in talks with the Blue Devils about an assistant coach opening, two sources tell The Big Lead.

There’s a rumor around the Duke program that Jeff Capel, a current assistant who previously coached at VCU and Oklahoma, could be in the mix for the California Bears head coaching opening.
    Would hardly be surprising for Jay to return to K's bench. After all, he was a starting PG for K for a full season. If you do that, you are pretty much assured of being an assistant coach.

Starting with Johnny's freshman year, here are the PGs for K. I am fairly sure this is a complete list, isn't it? All except Hurley, Avery, Duhon, and Paulus have sat next to K in a suit.

Johnny Dawkins - 1983
    Tommy Amaker - 1984-87
    Quinn Snyder - 1988 - 89
    Bobby Hurley - 1990 - 93 NO (though he has been an assistant for his brother's program)
    Chris Collins - 1994 (he and Capel sorta shared PG duties, right?)
    Jeff Capel - 1994 - 96
    Wojo - 1997 - 98
    Will Avery - 1999 NO
    JWill - 2000 - 02 NOT YET (but in the running)
    Duhon - 2003 - 04 NO (but he has been in the NBA)
    2005 - no defined PG as Dockery and Ewing shared the position at various times
    Greg Paulus - 2006 - 08 NO
    Jon Scheyer - 2009 - 10

-Jason "talk about training for a future career!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm not buying it and will be very surprised if this report is true, and shocked if he returns to the bench.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is the report. Seems somewhat legit. The Big Lead isn't exactly the NY Times but it ain't the National Enquirer either.
    The National Enquirer has a much better track record for accuracy than The Big Lead, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    The National Enquirer has a much better track record for accuracy than The Big Lead, to be honest.
    Considering they say "He’ll [Jwill] announce the McDonald’s All-American game on ESPN Thursday night", I'm inclined to agree...

Edit: anybody else's Edit button functionality not work properly lately? When I click edit, it brings me to the edit screen, but everything I typed before is completely gone. Tried in both Firefox and IE - has happened for the past couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Considering they say "He’ll [Jwill] announce the McDonald’s All-American game on ESPN Thursday night", I'm inclined to agree...

Edit: anybody else's Edit button functionality not work properly lately? When I click edit, it brings me to the edit screen, but everything I typed before is completely gone. Tried in both Firefox and IE - has happened for the past couple days.
    Some posts with odd-ball characters (slanted apostrophes and quotes among them) are causing trouble with editing and quoting posts. Usually shows up if someone pastes text in from other sites.

Work around: briefly use the Mobile style (bottom left of page). It doesn't exhibit the same problem.

We're working on it.

-jk

Jay Williams will not be on the bench for Duke next season.

If (big if) Capel were to depart, I think it would be imperative to bring in an experienced assistant. Wouldn't be surprised to see K look outside the family in that eventuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Jay Williams will not be on the bench for Duke next season.
    Thanks, Mike. I don't think I believe either of those rumors. Jeff is going to Cal to become direct rivals with Johnny at Stanford? That's very un-Duke-family-like. Coach K doesn't even schedule games against assistants...

Red face Assistants

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If (big if) Capel were to depart, I think it would be imperative to bring in an experienced assistant. Wouldn't be surprised to see K look outside the family in that eventuality.
    I read somewhere(on this board?) the former UConn coach Jim Calhoun is interested in getting back into coaching. A good X and O's assistant could be a real asset to the program now that Chris is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    I read somewhere(on this board?) the former UConn coach Jim Calhoun is interested in getting back into coaching. A good X and O's assistant could be a real asset to the program now that Chris is gone.
    Today is April 2.

I hear Jim Boeheim is thinking of leaving the 'Cuse. Might be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Thanks, Mike. I don't think I believe either of those rumors. Jeff is going to Cal to become direct rivals with Johnny at Stanford? That's very un-Duke-family-like. Coach K doesn't even schedule games against assistants...
    If Cal offered Jeff a couple of mill to become head coach, do you think JD's opinion would stand in the way?

It looks like Tommy's, Bobby's, Chris's and JD's successes have led to an increased demand for K assistants.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If Cal offered Jeff a couple of mill to become head coach, do you think JD's opinion would stand in the way?
    I guess if you put it that way... yeah, I guess it's possible Jeff would do it. Probably with Johnny's blessing actually.

I know he is currently a head coach, so it may be a step down (technically), but any chance Hurley returns to the bench, especially if Capel departs?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

It looks like Tommy's, Bobby's, Chris's and JD's successes have led to an increased demand for K assistants.
    I don't think you're wrong. But, others do. I found this yesterday while checking into news of Wojo's hire.

The inconsistent track record of Duke assistants surely is a concern for Marquette fans.
    Mike Brey has enjoyed success at Notre Dame and Tommy Amaker has revived his career at Harvard after flopping spectacularly at Michigan, but overall Krzyzewski's coaching tree has a surprising number of withered branches. Quin Snyder resigned after a tumultuous, scandal-tainted tenure at Missouri, Jeff Capel struggled post-Blake Griffin at Oklahoma and Johnny Dawkins went six years before finally making his first NCAA tournament at Stanford this March.

Still, Wojciechowski should be judged on his own accord, not on the success or failures of others who followed a similar path.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-follows-familiar-strategy--gambles-on-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski-153850215.html

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't think you're wrong. But, others do. I found this yesterday while checking into news of Wojo's hire.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-follows-familiar-strategy--gambles-on-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski-153850215.html[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sounds like lazy sports writers recycling old columns -- not that we would ever do that around here!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sounds like lazy sports writers recycling old columns -- not that we would ever do that around here!
    Well of course he's lazy, he just spent all his energy trying to spell Wojciechowski and Krzyzewski!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The common narrative of the Coach K coaching tree just chafes me so badly. Even my favorite curmudgeon, Tony K, got it wrong, claiming Tommy A failed at Seton Hall and then failed at Michigan. Well, as I recall, he did well at Seton Hall, and that's how he got the Michigan job. As for Michigan, well, they went on probation as the ink was drying on his contract. He was coaching with one hand tied behind his back, effectively, because of the Fab 5's historic transgressions. It must have been very hard to recruit in that environment, yet he had an overall winning record.

Of course, it's easier and quicker to just say that the coaching tree has failed. So what if it's a little inaccurate ... if it gets ratings, it is by definition right.