Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Any thoughts on Grant Hill?
    I do think Grant has greater ambitions than a couple weeks a year of studio work, but I see him more as an nba front office guy.

WOJO!

You will make Milwaukee Famous!!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    What about Nolan Smith? He's playing in Croatia now. I have no idea what his interest or coaching abilities would be. Same with DeMarcus Nelson.

I like the idea of Laettner or Jarvis for the experience and credibility factors, but I'm not sure about the fit. Especially with the rest of the staff. Those guys would bring some elbows.
    Nolan specifically answered the question in a tweet earlier that expects the keep playing, but would like to coach at Duke down the road.

Laura Keeley just posted on her blog that Jon Scheyer has been promoted to assistant coach, so now the assistant staff is Capel, James, and Scheyer. I doubt Shane Battier would take a job as a special assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Please do NOT bring Paulus back as an assistant.
    Sure Paulus has experience as an assistant with a successful program outside the Duke system - far more coaching experience than most of the names listed in this thread - but aside from that, what does he have to offer?

kinda sad, but really happy for Steve and his family……

duke history right there folks….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Nolan specifically answered the question in a tweet earlier that expects the keep playing, but would like to coach at Duke down the road.

Laura Keeley just posted on her blog that Jon Scheyer has been promoted to assistant coach, so now the assistant staff is Capel, James, and Scheyer. I doubt Shane Battier would take a job as a special assistant.
    Well that renders my earlier post pretty inconsequential. Congrats Jon, if you got promoted, you must have earned it, because it doesn't just come. Carrawell had this job and then got demoted to the women's program when Capel came in, so you definitely aren't given anything as a part of that coaching tree.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I've said this before, Nate and Jon are very green, with very little coaching experience.
    I appreciate your thoughts, and for the most part your post is good, but in the case of Nate James, you are very wrong.

Former Duke standout Nate James has been a member the Blue Devils' staff since the 2007-08 season, serving as an assistant strength and conditioning coach for one year and spending three seasons as an assistant coach prior to being named a special assistant on April 8, 2011.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1458688&
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think you need to look at players who have graduated at least 5 years ago. Scheyer is the exception, but that's because his eye injury prevented him from playing at a high level.
    Well, not exactly. Collins joined the Duke staff 4 years after graduating, but he had two assistant stints before that, including the WNBA and at Seton Hall under Tommy Amaker. He squeezed in some playing time in Finland, but has less pro experience than Nolan Smith or DeMarcus Nelson, both of whom have played in the NBA, unlike Wojo or Chris. Wojo graduated in '98 and joined the Duke staff in '99. He has less pro experience (none if I'm not mistaken) than Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I appreciate your thoughts, and for the most part your post is good, but in the case of Nate James, you are very wrong.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1458688&
    I should clarify what I meant by coaching experience because those were not the right words for Nate. I don't think Nate's role on the staff is to be an X's and O's guy, maybe that will change with Collins and Wojo gone, as I'm sure his role will expand now. Thanks for calling me on that, because as you pointed out, it certainly wasn't correct.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sure Paulus has experience as an assistant with a successful program outside the Duke system - far more coaching experience than most of the names listed in this thread - but aside from that, what does he have to offer?
    He has, what, one year as an assistant coach at a non service academy program on his resume? Other than that, he was a video coordinator I believe. I'd take a guy with NBA D-League coaching experience or even professional playing experience over that any day.

Also, we need a coach to work with the bigs. Our coaching staff is very guard heavy in terms of their playing experience. We have three great bigs slotted in to be on our team next year (AJ, MP3, and Big Jah) and with proper coaching, they could be one of the best front courts in the league in my mind.

The decisions coming up for Grant and Shane should be in what political office they will change history.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I do think Grant has greater ambitions than a couple weeks a year of studio work, but I see him more as an nba front office guy.
    Grant Hill's future CEO spot is the Director of the Museum of Modern Art. He is a world-class art collector.

I expect Shane to remain in the public eye through broadcast journalism before entering politics.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Coach K has shown that he is loyal to his players, family, university, country--not necessarily in any order. Undestandably family first. He will probably look to former players as the replacement. I can see no rush. But I would like to see who he thinks, from outside, would be a suitable addition.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't believe what you say about Nate. Evidence? Citations? Or is this just Mr. Anonymous in the internet world doing character assassination?
    Dukehky sent me a PM that explained his post, and I found it reasonable. I may not have expressed his thoughts the same way, but I have no problem with his post.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Congrats Wojo!

One word: Saz's!

Zoubek may be an option. Coach K raved about his senior season leadership skills he showed and we need a big man coach that actually was a viable big man at one time. We need a guy in the fox hole that was actually at one time in that fox hole. I know his Dream Puff business went Kapooey and maybe he'd be willing to put his real estate career on hold for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Coach K has shown that he is loyal to his players, family, university, country--not necessarily in any order. Undestandably family first. He will probably look to former players as the replacement. I can see no rush. But I would like to see who he thinks, from outside, would be a suitable addition.
    I agree, but I'm kind of warming to the Mike Jarvis idea a bit more. Jarvis and Capel as Associate Head Coaches, with Nate James and Scheyer as Assistant Coaches? You cover the X's and O's, scouting, and recruiting, experience and youth, no?

Not the right time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I'd like to see Duke bring in someone outside Coach K's tree. Shake it up.

I highly doubt it will happen. But I think a very fresh perspective, albeit one that will fit within Coach K's structure, would be a good thing.

Of course, I'll likely be happy with whomever we bring in--as long as it's not a newbie to the profession.
    I agree with the sentiment and my experience in business is that if you get too inbred you can miss things. Good to get some fresh ideas.

However one advantage of Coach K hiring staff from the program is that they have a pretty good idea as to what is expected of them. He saves time by not coaching the assistant coaches. Now if K had the summer basically free then he could bring in an outsider and who would spend part of the summer learning the ropes at Duke. However he has a major time commitment with USA BBall and a tournament in I think Spain.

SoCal

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I agree, but I'm kind of warming to the Mike Jarvis idea a bit more. Jarvis and Capel as Associate Head Coaches, with Nate James and Scheyer as Assistant Coaches? You cover the X's and O's, scouting, and recruiting, experience and youth, no?
    Krzyzewski, Capel, and Jarvis on one bench. That would be a powerhouse trio. I wonder how the dynamic would work behind the scenes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, not exactly. Collins joined the Duke staff 4 years after graduating, but he had two assistant stints before that, including the WNBA and at Seton Hall under Tommy Amaker. He squeezed in some playing time in Finland, but has less pro experience than Nolan Smith or DeMarcus Nelson, both of whom have played in the NBA, unlike Wojo or Chris. Wojo graduated in '98 and joined the Duke staff in '99. He has less pro experience (none if I'm not mistaken) than Scheyer.
    Opportunities to play professional as a career have expanded since the 1990s. Not only is there Europe, but there is also China, the Philippines, and Japan. And they are certainly pay better than a rookie assistant coach.

I'd be surprised if Duke even looked at a player who graduated after 2008/2009.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club