Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wojo was "Associate HC", so it would make sense that Capel takes that spot, James takes Capel's as "associate", and then Jon loses the "special" tag. Semantics, mostly, but I would assume each position carries different duties in regards to recruiting as well. And Capel will most likely be the new half time interview guy.
    Question about Capel: why is nobody chasing after him for an HC job?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Crazy idea but how about bringing on Jason Capel? I know it won't happen but after listening to Austin Rivers completely embarrass the posers on PTI with his subtle understanding of Lebron's game, seeing the instant impact Collins is having at NWern, the family pedigree can't be over-stated The Capels were born to be coaches. Or maybe Capel Sr? This is the April Fools Day story DBR should have written...but I'm serious.
    Duke needs some toughness and meanness to them. I'm thinking Christian Laettner would be a good fit for an assistant coaching position.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    A Tarheel on the Duke coaching staff?

::vomits::
    Plus Jason Capel didn't handle things well at Appalachian State.

Agree with FF50: No.

As for Jeff Capel: His time will come again, but he's still washing a little Oklahoma off him I think.

Super for Wojo, and many, many thanks. Great for our group. Something to talk about and wonderful speculation subject.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I think Nate moved up a seat when Collins went to Northwestern. This allows Jon to move up a seat and leaves the special assistant postion open for Tyler next year.
    I've said this before, Nate and Jon are very green, with very little coaching experience. Nate doesn't do a whole lot of coaching, he is there for motivation, loyalty, positive attitude, and Jon is literally learning what to do. I doubt he gave much thought to coaching when he was a player because he was probably going to play in the league, and would have had he not gotten his eye nearly gauged out.

I am not completely behind the simple promotion from within this year. I don't think Nate is ready to be 3rd in command, and I think Jon needs a little more watch and learn. Wojo had to sit out a year before he joined the bench after he graduated, and I think that Tyler should wait until most of the team has not played with him in order to be an effective coach. It's a different thing to lead as a player and then lead as a coach or special assistant or whatever. You lived with these kids as a peer, I don't think that's a good dynamic to have on the bench

This leads us to who we are going to bring in. Now of course the option provided above is probably the most likely, but I think there are a couple of must asks. I think we need to at least inquire to see if Hurley or Laettner want the job. Both have coaching experience, both have been away from the program for a while and might inject some new energy if that's what's needed. If neither of them wants it, ask Shane, screw it, just ask, probably won't happen. I know I criticized Jon and Nate for not having coaching experience, but Shane has seen and done it all and was the coach on the floor probably every year he's ever played basketball, and seriously, who wouldn't want Battier on the bench? I think if Mike Jarvis wants to coach again, he and K have a very good report and could be a good hire. He's the only guy I could see coming in from outside the program to be honest.

I doubt Hurley would move to be an assistant coach because he did a good job at Buffalo this year, and I think is enjoying the challenge of being a Head Coach. Laettner is a D-League coach, he could either be absolutely incredible, or he would get fired int he first month, but if he wants to give it a shot, it's worth the risk.

I'm excited to see Wojo run a team, can't wait to see him walking the sidelines, falling back in his chair, and dropping an inordinate amount of F-bombs in some gold and blue, running his own show.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Super for Wojo, and many, many thanks. Great for our group. Something to talk about and wonderful speculation subject.
    As Joe Ovies likes to say about his web persona "I don't get paid to be a journalist, I get paid to generate content."

How about bringing Paulus back as assistant?

Four Coaches in NCAA Basketball

Just a review of the rules: each team (men and women) is allowed three assistant coaches, who can participate in direct coaching and in recruiting. I believe that the other suits on the bench -- special assistants, video coordinators, strength coaches -- cannot participate directly in practice and cannot recruit off-campus. Therefore, Spec. Asst. Jon Scheyer can look at a lot of film but cannot be on the court at practice.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    To coach quarterbacks?

No, thanks.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    To coach quarterbacks?
    Is that what he does at OSU?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    To coach quarterbacks?
    To learn how to take a charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I've said this before, Nate and Jon are very green, with very little coaching experience. Nate doesn't do a whole lot of coaching, he is there for motivation, loyalty, positive attitude, and Jon is literally learning what to do. I doubt he gave much thought to coaching when he was a player because he was probably going to play in the league, and would have had he not gotten his eye nearly gauged out.

I don't believe what you say about Nate. Evidence? Citations? Or is this just Mr. Anonymous in the internet world doing character assassination?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Please do NOT bring Paulus back as an assistant.

What about Nolan Smith? He's playing in Croatia now. I have no idea what his interest or coaching abilities would be. Same with DeMarcus Nelson.

I like the idea of Laettner or Jarvis for the experience and credibility factors, but I'm not sure about the fit. Especially with the rest of the staff. Those guys would bring some elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I saw that Battier is retiring from the NBA. Just saying.
    Congrats to Wojo!! I hope he has great success at Marquette.

Also, I too, would love to see Battier on the Duke sidelines. However, let's say the Heat make another deep run into summer. Will that give him time to integrate into the Duke coaching program? How will we handle the vacancy for summer recruiting, and preparation for the new fall season? But can you imagine a better recruiter than Battier? "I made millions of dollars playing in the NBA, I won an NCAA, and two (or three) NBA championships. Let me tell you how Duke will make you a better person and basketball player."

I'd like to see Duke bring in someone outside Coach K's tree. Shake it up.

I highly doubt it will happen. But I think a very fresh perspective, albeit one that will fit within Coach K's structure, would be a good thing.

Of course, I'll likely be happy with whomever we bring in--as long as it's not a newbie to the profession.

Wow, a lot of anti-Paulus sentiment around here (not your note but some of the responses). Perhaps that is a sign that he should not come back.

He seems to be really moving up the ladder at OSU. I think he already jumped from video coordinator to a full assistant coach's position. Thad Matta is a stud, a great basketball mind to learn from. I see no reason why Paulus would want to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Plus Jason Capel didn't handle things well at Appalachian State.

Agree with FF50: No.

As for Jeff Capel: His time will come again, but he's still washing a little Oklahoma off him I think.

Jeff's time will come again!

Any thoughts on Grant Hill? He has done a great job during the NCAAs and I love his commercials! Christian Laettner is available also! Both are National Champions and former NBA players and would be an asset to the Duke Coaching Staff as well as developing the Bigs and Power Forwards!

Congrats to Wojo! He has done an incredible job at Duke! I wish him and his family all the best on his new Head Coach position!

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    What about Nolan Smith? He's playing in Croatia now. I have no idea what his interest or coaching abilities would be. Same with DeMarcus Nelson.

I like the idea of Laettner or Jarvis for the experience and credibility factors, but I'm not sure about the fit. Especially with the rest of the staff. Those guys would bring some elbows.
    Nolan Smith is making decent bank in Europe right now. I assume that Tyler will do the same.

I think you need to look at players who have graduated at least 5 years ago. Scheyer is the exception, but that's because his eye injury prevented him from playing at a high level.

I like the idea of bringing in players from the 1989-1992 dynasty. Wow!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club