Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Wojo to Marquette - Congrats!

Per ESPN's Jeff Goodman (and no, I don't think this is an April Fool's joke):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-wojciechowski
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Terrific news. Best of luck to Coach Wojo and his family.

<slaps floor/>

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

There goes our chance to recruit Centers.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

Just saw that. Congratulations to Wojo and best wishes.

Ideally, I'd like to see Wojo and Chris Collins have great success in their current jobs, with one eventually succeeding Coach K at Duke.

He deserved a shot, and this is a big one. Good luck Wojo. I'm not super excited about his leaving, but it was time for him to go his own way. He's been in Durham since he was 18 years old, change of scenery might be nice.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Great news for Wojo! He deserves it and I wish him sustained success.

So that creates a vacancy. Scheyer moves up a chair? And then?

How about Doug Gottlieb? Then the whole planet can just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

I saw that Battier is retiring from the NBA. Just saying.
    ~rthomas

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congrats and a heartfelt thank you for everything he has done at Duke. Best wishes to making a solid program even better.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Was Nate moved up when Collins left last year? Wouldn't the staff be Capel, Nate and Jon now?

I think Capel gets promoted to Associate Head Coach and Scheyer gets promoted to Associate Coach.

Congratulations Wojo! I hate to see you go and will miss you on the sidelines (and the halftime interviews) but it is time you build a program as a head coach! Best of luck and I know you'll do great!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I think Capel gets promoted to Associate Head Coach and Scheyer gets promoted to Associate Coach.

Congratulations Wojo! I hate to see you go and will miss you on the sidelines (and the halftime interviews) but it is time you build a program as a head coach! Best of luck and I know you'll do great!
    What about Coach Badass? I would think he would move up before Scheyer. (Scheyer is currently listed as "special assistant, James is "assistant" and Capel is "associate".)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Gives K a few different things. A chance to add a few more pupils to the coaching tree and potentially puts Capel as coach in waiting now. Kudos to Wojo - it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What about Coach Badass? I would think he would move up before Scheyer. (Scheyer is currently listed as "special assistant, James is "assistant" and Capel is "associate".)
    I think Nate moved up a seat when Collins went to Northwestern. This allows Jon to move up a seat and leaves the special assistant postion open for Tyler next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think Nate James is worthy of a promotion I just give the edge to Capel given his head coaching experience at VCU and Oklahoma. I think his resume may be a bit more impressive than James's at this stage in Nate's career. Who knows for sure though!

Good luck Wojo!

We knew this day would come. Wojo has been a great asset to Duke for many years now, and we wish him a heartfelt Thank You and All the Best of luck, except when you are playing Duke, which I'm sure the committee will try to arrange every time you make the NCAAT.

Go Wojo! Go Duke!
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I think Nate moved up a seat when Collins went to Northwestern. This allows Jon to move up a seat and leaves the special assistant postion open for Tyler next year.
    Wojo was "Associate HC", so it would make sense that Capel takes that spot, James takes Capel's as "associate", and then Jon loses the "special" tag. Semantics, mostly, but I would assume each position carries different duties in regards to recruiting as well. And Capel will most likely be the new half time interview guy.

This will give Wojo some time to prove his value as a head coach at an elite program. If Coach K retires in 5 years, Duke surely has many legit options to replace him with one of his students now. I'd put the following coaches in the mix in likelihood that they will replace him. Keep in mind this is just my opinion: Collins, Dawkins, Wojo, Amaker, and Capel.

Crazy idea but how about bringing on Jason Capel? I know it won't happen but after listening to Austin Rivers completely embarrass the posers on PTI with his subtle understanding of Lebron's game, seeing the instant impact Collins is having at NWern, the family pedigree can't be over-stated The Capels were born to be coaches. Or maybe Capel Sr? This is the April Fools Day story DBR should have written...but I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Crazy idea but how about bringing on Jason Capel? I know it won't happen but after listening to Austin Rivers completely embarrass the posers on PTI with his subtle understanding of Lebron's game, seeing the instant impact Collins is having at NWern, the family pedigree can't be over-stated The Capels were born to be coaches. Or maybe Capel Sr? This is the April Fools Day story DBR should have written...but I'm serious.
    A Tarheel on the Duke coaching staff?

::vomits::