Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thought Grayson looked a lot smaller than 6'4". Maybe closer to 6'2". I did like the way he looked for his shot and he seemed to play decent defense. As I stated in an earlier post, Winslow is Nate James 2.0. I can see him spotting up for 3 in the corner and picking up some tough rebounds amongst much bigger players down low. Just dreaming of an Okafor, Parker combo next year. Who do teams decide to double team? Jones looked solid and played with poise.
    Last edited by devilnfla; 04-03-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Thought Grayson looked a lot smaller than 6'4". Maybe closer to 6'2". I did like the way he looked for his shot and he seemed to play decent defense. As I stated in an earlier post, Winslow is Nate James 2.0. I can see him spotting up for 3 in the corner and picking up some tough rebounds amongst much bigger players down low. Just dreaming of an Okafor, Parker combo next year. Who do teams decide to double team? Jones looked solid and played with poise.
    If Allen is only 6'2" then everyone else looks two inches shorter as well...

four quartes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post

four quartes.jpg
    So now you're telling me next year's incoming class is 6'8, 6'3, 6'2 and 5'10?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I was very happy that I was able to watch the game after work, early this morning.

I think we’ve got a definite stud in Mr. Jones, at the PG spot and he will definitely be starting for us by the time ACC play rolls around, at the very latest. The kid loves to push the ball, has great court vision, and knows how to hit the open man. We definitely won’t be lamenting the fact that our PG’s can’t make a simple entry pass, nor will we wonder why our bigs never receive the ball on a pick and roll. I was also impressed with the way Tyrus brought the ball down the court a launched a three at the end of the game, which gave the East a short lived lead.

I’ll give Mr. Okafor the benefit of the doubt for missing so many close in shots. Let’s chalk it up to nerves due to playing in front of what amounted to a home crowd. As others have already stated, he’s very nimble for such a big man and he has all the back to the basket moves down pat. My only concern will be whether or not he can stay on the court by avoiding foul trouble.

Mr. Winslow is without a doubt a physical specimen. The only thing Duke fans need to know about his game, is that in crunch time his coach inserted him for defense and he was matched up against a PG. The can definitely play some defense.

Mr. Allen comes last, but then somebody has to get that honor. He seems able to do everything fairly well, but he really didn’t appear to be outstanding in anyone facet of the game.

I realize this was just one game and while some of you may poo hoo its value in judging a player I think you can get a pretty good idea of how a player stacks up against his peers physically and from a skill set point of view. I also think you can get an idea as to whether the kid is a me first type or whether he’s a good team mate.

four quartes.jpg
    Well that's what I thought.... I've seen him play in Jacksonville as well and had the same thought seeing him live. I'm 5'11" and he didn't seem much taller. Watching his interview with Jason Williams after the Slam Dunk competition even furthered my opinion. He's not much taller than Jay and I believe Jay was listed at 6'2". Also looking at him next to Tyus on the court didn't seem like he was 3 inches taller than Tyus.

four quartes.jpg
    Everyone looks shorter at a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    He measured in at 6'4.5" in shoes at the Nike camps last summer. Height can be deceiving.

In terms of measurements for the other players. Okafor came in at 6'10.75" and 6'11" at different USA Basketball measurements. Winslow was 6'5.5" with USA Basketball. Jones was 6'0.5". Turner was 6'10.5" with USA Basketball and 6'10" at the Nike Camps.

Okafor

I thought Okafor was fouled on most of his misses. The refs weren't going to call the game tight, and I thought they allowed physical play in the post. Okafor will be a nightmare to defend if you have to defend him with the threat of fouls.

I still think you guys need 1 more post player. Someone to keep your team physical if Okafor is out. Like a Nigel Hayes at Wisconsin, Jamari Traylor at Kansas, or Jeronne Maymom at UT.

fouls

Quote Originally Posted by mccollums View Post
    I thought Okafor was fouled on most of his misses. The refs weren't going to call the game tight, and I thought they allowed physical play in the post. Okafor will be a nightmare to defend if you have to defend him with the threat of fouls.
    The question is whether he'll get the same treatment from ACC refs as Hansbrough got for four years ... or the treatment that Jabari got last season?

I still think you guys need 1 more post player. Someone to keep your team physical if Okafor is out. Like a Nigel Hayes at Wisconsin, Jamari Traylor at Kansas, or Jeronne Maymom at UT.
    Marshall Plumlee says how do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The question is whether he'll get the same treatment from ACC refs as Hansbrough got for four years ... or the treatment that Jabari got last season?
    I think since their games are different that Jahil will get the calls. Jabari, as others have noted, initiated a lot of contact on his drives to the hoop and that may have been a factor in the ridiculous amount of no calls we saw this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Good question, can only be answered on a game by game basis :-) . NCAA officials and consistent are rarely used in the same sentence. Okafor is LARGE, and that might work against him though. I've always thought refs seem to allow smaller defenders more physical play on the big guys. Post defense in college is generally poor though and there's not going to be too many guys in college next season that will have the length to stand straight up and affect his shot. You guys always have shooters, so teams will have to pick their poison.

It's obvious Plumlee will be the 3rd big in the rotation and the backup center... but sometimes those physical 4's can change a game on the boards. 2 immovable objects compared to 1. Doubtful K would use Plumlee and Okafor at the same time. Maybe Justice will be able to add that from the wing if he gets PT.

I finally got around to watching last night. Tyus really looks like something special to me, at least on offense. I have no idea what he's going to be like defensively. He certainly looks like a potential one-and-done type talent.

Though he wasn't overly impressive in the stat sheet I really liked what I saw from Grayson. He had one beautiful offensive move from the left elbow where he changed directions and shot a soft floater off one leg. It looked like a move he's used before. He's a multi-year guy who has potential to really blossom in his junior and senior year.

I really liked Justise as well but I think we need to be careful not to over-inflate our expectations of him. He's obviously got some nice ball handling ability and all accounts are that he prides himself on his defense. But it looks like his offense has a ways to go. All of his buckets were in transition and it really appears that he's not comfortable hunting for his shot on the perimeter. In my opinion he may be best suited as a utility guy early on for defensive stops and crashing boards. Hopefully after a year or two he'll develop a reliable offensive game. My guess is he's at minimum a 3 year player.

Jahlil - yea we all know this kid can play.

Myles Turner didn't show much on offense in the paint. He looks like he is much more comfortable facing the basket than posting. But the kid really looks like a force on defense. Whoever lands him will have a stopper in the paint
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Doubtful K would use Plumlee and Okafor at the same time.
    I see zero chance of this happening. The floor spacing would be pretty poor and in no way would it benefit us offensively.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

four quartes.jpg

All four Quarters are now using this photo as their twitter avatar. You have to like the cohesiveness.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013