Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Yup. Just because you're a good athlete doesn't mean you play. Look at Semi. I think Grayson is far more likely to get run than Semi was last year though.
    It's going to come down to defense. If Allen can defend at a D-1 level in his freshman year, then he has a shot to play a bit.

However, I doubt that happens.

Also, how does a 7 footer that hasn't really done anything REAL impressive on his dunks score so high? He's friggin 7 feet tall!

Allen brought out the Jay Williams jersey!

And dunks over Okafor in the Duke hat. Winner!

Grayson Allen

Wow just wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Allen brought out the Jay Williams jersey!

And dunks over Okafor in the Duke hat. Winner!
    Kid has moxie. Will be hard to keep him out of the lineup.

Cool Grayson Allen!

Let's...

Go...

Duke!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Kid has moxie. Will be hard to keep him out of the lineup.
    The Crazies might riot if he doesn't get on the court. K might want to keep that in mind when deciding playing time .

Super impressive. We knew he could dunk 'cause we all saw his videos. But to see him do it live is another thing. He was very impressive... took very few attempts and made Pinson look kind of silly when he had to jump over Jay Williams :P.

That was the most fun I have had watching basketball for sometime and boy do we have a great bunch of kids coming in next year. This is a hell of a recruiting class...
    That last dunk from Grayson was big time cool. Jay W clearly enjoyed it too!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'll skip the usual disclaimers about the McD game -- it's sloppy, they don't play defense, can't tell how some guys will play in a team structure, etc.

Yeah, that's true, but I welcome this game and the associated practice reports, dunk contests, etc.
    Gives us some positive things to talk about after the recent "unpleasantness" in the NCAA Tournament.

Bring it on, guys. Let's see the next generation of Duke stars!

Okafor -- can he score effectively vs other bigs who are also tall and talented?
    Tyus Jones -- can he make plays even in a loose format like this? What is his shooting range?
    Justise Winslow -- how does he look matched up against players who might range from 6'4" to 6'8"?
    Grayson Allen -- is he ready to contribute as a freshman? possible Slam Dunk winner?

How do the Duke guys look vs UNC and UK's Burger Boys?
    Totally agree on the bold Roy, so I will remind folks again, if you want to see if these guys can ball or not, you have to watch the Nike Hoop Summit game. I know you only get to see about roughly half of the burger boys in that game but for sure Tyus and Okafor will be in it. Not sure about Winslow. They play real basketball in that game. Real team offense, and real team defense. Easily my favorite High School All-Star game.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Totally agree on the bold Roy, so I will remind folks again, if you want to see if these guys can ball or not, you have to watch the Nike Hoop Summit game. I know you only get to see about roughly half of the burger boys in that game but for sure Tyus and Okafor will be in it. Not sure about Winslow. They play real basketball in that game. Real team offense, and real team defense. Easily my favorite High School All-Star game.
    Here's US roster for Nike Hoop Summit. Game is Sat April 12, 7 EDT, I think, one of ESPN networks.

USA Roster 2014

PLAYER NAME POSITION HEIGHT / WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE HOMETOWN
    Cliff Alexander F 6-9 / 230 November 16, 1995 Curie Metropolitan H.S. / Kansas* Chicago, IL
    Joel Berry II G 6-1 / 185 April 1, 1995 Lake Highland Prep School / North Carolina* Apopka, FL
    James Blackmon, Jr. G 6-2 / 175 April 24, 1995 Marian H.S. / Indiana* Fort Wayne, IN
    Stanley Johnson F 6-7 / 226 May 29, 1996 Mater Dei H.S. / Arizona* Fullerton, CA
    Tyus Jones G 6-0 / 171 May 10, 1996 Apple Valley H.S. / Duke* Apple Valley, MN
    Jahlil Okafor C 6-10 / 260 December 15, 1995 Whitney Young H.S. / Duke* Chicago, IL
    Kelly Oubre F 6-7 / 190 December 9, 1995 Findlay Prep (NV) / Kansas* Fort Bend, TX
    Theo Pinson F 6-6 / 185 November 5, 1995 Wesleyan Christian Academy / North Carolina* Greensboro, NC
    Myles Turner C 6-11 / 240 March 24, 1996 Trinity H.S. / Undecided Bedford, TX
    Justise Winslow F 6-6 / 210 March 26, 1996 St. John’s School / Duke* Houston, TX
    Reid Travis C 6-7 / 215 November 25, 1995 DeLaSalle H.S. / Stanford*

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

Yes, Justise is playing too.

Grayson was awesome tonight!

Yeah, the Nike Hoop Summit is a good one, and it's coming up on April 12.

And, yes, Justise Winslow is also on the USA squad along with Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones. I don't think Grayson Allen will be playing, but he may just jump over the fence and crash the game.

Nike Hoop Summit site, with rosters

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    If you didn't think Jay Williams was a turncoat before, he just helped UNC recruit Theo Pinson in his dunk competition by letting him dunk over him and then posing with a UNC sweatshirt.

Grr.
    He's paid a lot of money by ESPN to report on and analyze hoops. Where does it say he can only wear Duke stuff?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here's a recap of today's practices. Both Tyus and Grayson get positive mentions. http://hoopniks.com/mcdonalds-all-am...ractice-recap/

I'm especially excited to see what Tyus can do. I expect similar handle, passing, and defense (or lack thereof) to Kyrie, but perhaps not as good a shooter. Like Kyrie in his limited time on court, I expect Tyus to make all of our guys look better.

Loved the camaraderie of all 4 guys tonight. I think Turner is very much a long shot, but if he's still actively considering us, I gotta think he was impressed with how tight the guys are. How sick would it be to have him at the 4?

Some players are ready for prime time and some are not. Allen showed he is not afraid to show off. I remember watching JJ light it up in the McDonald's Game and thinking that he was going to be special. Who knows how Allen will develop but he likes the moment and is very confident in his abilities. As much of this game is mental- those are very good quality to have. He will push those other guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    This moron play by play guy keeps saying that Grayson is known as a shooter. His strengths on every recruiting website are ball handling and athletic ability with a workable jump shot.

Good job Grayson.
    SoundsLike Henderson When He Arrived. Can We Call Hi G2?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He's paid a lot of money by ESPN to report on and analyze hoops. Where does it say he can only wear Duke stuff?
    In the rafters of Cameron...

Here's US roster for Nike Hoop Summit. Game is Sat April 12, 7 EDT, I think, one of ESPN networks.

USA Roster 2014

PLAYER NAME POSITION HEIGHT / WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE HOMETOWN
    Cliff Alexander F 6-9 / 230 November 16, 1995 Curie Metropolitan H.S. / Kansas* Chicago, IL
    Joel Berry II G 6-1 / 185 April 1, 1995 Lake Highland Prep School / North Carolina* Apopka, FL
    James Blackmon, Jr. G 6-2 / 175 April 24, 1995 Marian H.S. / Indiana* Fort Wayne, IN
    Stanley Johnson F 6-7 / 226 May 29, 1996 Mater Dei H.S. / Arizona* Fullerton, CA
    Tyus Jones G 6-0 / 171 May 10, 1996 Apple Valley H.S. / Duke* Apple Valley, MN
    Jahlil Okafor C 6-10 / 260 December 15, 1995 Whitney Young H.S. / Duke* Chicago, IL
    Kelly Oubre F 6-7 / 190 December 9, 1995 Findlay Prep (NV) / Kansas* Fort Bend, TX
    Theo Pinson F 6-6 / 185 November 5, 1995 Wesleyan Christian Academy / North Carolina* Greensboro, NC
    Myles Turner C 6-11 / 240 March 24, 1996 Trinity H.S. / Undecided Bedford, TX
    Justise Winslow F 6-6 / 210 March 26, 1996 St. John’s School / Duke* Houston, TX
    Reid Travis C 6-7 / 215 November 25, 1995 DeLaSalle H.S. / Stanford*
    Above quote is from Gumbomoop; it wouldn't let me reply in the normal way for some reason.

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster. He's obviously a solid player but the lowest ranked one on this list, and some higher ranked players were skipped. Can someone who knows more about the Hoop Summit shed some light here? Is he a strong defensive player, or an especially good/coachable team player? Is it because of the position he plays (I see him listed here as a C although on the ESPN website he is listed as a PF)? Or do some players decline the opportunity to play in the Hoop Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post

Above quote is from Gumbomoop; it wouldn't let me reply in the normal way for some reason.

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster. He's obviously a solid player but the lowest ranked one on this list, and some higher ranked players were skipped. Can someone who knows more about the Hoop Summit shed some light here? Is he a strong defensive player, or an especially good/coachable team player? Is it because of the position he plays (I see him listed here as a C although on the ESPN website he is listed as a PF)? Or do some players decline the opportunity to play in the Hoop Summit?
    Every time I saw Reid Travis play in his HS games, he impressed me. He has good strength and size and plays with a "motor." Nice touch around the rim and can step out and hit jumpers. I was honestly hoping Duke would get him, as he seems like a 4-year glue guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster.
    Are you using an iPad? I was, and when I couldn't "reply with quote" to a couple of posters, I suggested they must be Area 51/Roswell loonies. But now it appears that, unbeknownst to myself, I have been aboard a spaceship, too. More than once, possibly.

As to Reid Travis, Johnny D. might have a guy who will play big minutes right away, as he has lots of guards returning/coming in, but badly needs a rebounder. Travis might not have seen many minutes at Duke next season, but I'm guessing he will at Stanford.

This thread has been hijacked. I thought Grayson winning the dunk contest last night was very cool. I also thought Justise's dunks were really underrated by the judges. Can't wait to see the game tomorrow night. Tyus winning the skills contest was secondary I think to seeing multiple players having him out during their dunks to pass to them. I don't know how good Grayson is going to be next year, but he is athletic, can shoot and seems to be a willing defender. Isn't defense what got Matt on the court at least in a limited role. if Grayson doesn't see much action it means that Matt and Justise are really good, which is positive. Am anxious to see Jahlil in action. Just looking at him around the other players, he physically looks like a man among boys. The game Wednesday is the only basketball I want to watch right now.