Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    With UK's 2nd appearance in the Final Four in 3 years, this time, with all freshman starters, that whole "youth" argument made in defense of Duke's season goes right out the window. It was a poor excuse to begin with that is being made to look foolish now. I know teams are different, but UK plays 2 sophomores, and 1 senior in Paulsen who gets like 2 minutes a game. The rest are freshmen. They had a middling regular season for UK standards, but they pieced it together in time. No more talk about Duke's being a young team. The coaches and players didn't do a good enough job this season to put themselves in a position to legitimately compete in this tournament, despite the incredible amount of talent amongst the coaches and players. Blame lack of size, since that is what UK is riding along with timely shot making, but for goodness sake, no more youth argument.

Bah-humbug, this tournament is no fun when all you do is root against other teams. Now I know how Maryland fans feel.

I would rather have this year's Duke team every day of the week over UK's, that particular youth argument that has been made still irks me.
    Last edited by Dukehky; 03-30-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    With UK's 2nd appearance in the Final Four in 3 years, this time, with all freshman starters, that whole "youth" argument made in defense of Duke's season goes right out the window. It was a poor excuse to begin with that is being made to look foolish now. I know teams are different, but UK plays 2 sophomores, and 1 senior in Paulsen who gets like 2 minutes a game. The rest are freshmen. They had a middling regular season for UK standards, but they pieced it together in time. No more talk about Duke's being a young team. The coaches and players didn't do a good enough job this season to put themselves in a position to legitimately compete in this tournament, despite the incredible amount of talent amongst the coaches and players. Blame lack of size, since that is what UK is riding along with timely shot making, but for goodness sake, no more youth argument.

Bah-humbug, this tournament is no fun when all you do is root against other teams. Now I know how Maryland fans feel.

I would rather have this year's Duke team every day of the week over UK's, that particular youth argument that has been made still irks me.
    I completely agree that the "we're so young and their marginal but experienced D1 talent overcame our youth" is a poor excuse for our (lack of) performance. But, I do wonder if it is actually easier to take five freshmen, give them the reins, and let them develop together over the course of a year than it is to integrate two new extraordinary talents with established rotation players. Kentucky's five freshmen had no leadership to begin with, but the proper dynamic eventually developed because it had to happen.

With us, we changed our experienced guys in and out of the starting rotation so much this year that there was no way that clear leadership could develop. We now have one Final Four appearance in the last 10 seasons.

Kentucky's strategy is always going to be a crapshoot. Last year it didn't happen for them, but this year it did. Would you take a National Title-NIT-Final Four three years or an early exit-Elite Eight-early exit three years?

Obviously, I think we would all take our staff and players over theirs, but that doesn't make our staff's excuses valid.

I'm not going to rewrite what I've already said, but I will copy/paste it here:

It all makes sense now. Everything has been predestined this Tournament. It's all about one thing and one thing only. Don't let anyone deceive you in this. I'm about to impart serious, insightful basketball fate/gods/fill in the blank stuff right now:

It's all about Florida. Yep. This is about the Gators having the easiest path to their eventual championship. I'm not sure if Donovan has sacrificed more chickens than normal, or what, but this Tournament is all leading to a very obvious finish: UF will cut down the nets, and the resistance factor has been removed at every step along the way. They have yet to play one team that could have legitimately beat them. And it won't happen in the FF semis, because UConn will come back down to planet earth and lay down (after beating them a couple of months ago) so the Gators can continue to march toward yet another title for the great - the awesome - the magnificent - Billy Donovan. I now fully expect UK to beat UM, and then a valiant Wisconsin in the other semi, only to look back into the eyes of the Gators in the Championship game and lie down once more.

Yep, you can mortgage your house on this one boys and girls. It's the Gators Tournament. Plain and Simple. The basketball gods have foreordained it.

BTW, someone pass the Pepto-Bismol. I'm going to be sick.
    If others don't see the handwriting on the wall I can't help them. At this point the entire thing is axiomatic.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'm not going to rewrite what I've already said, but I will copy/paste it here:

If others don't see the handwriting on the wall I can't help them. At this point the entire thing is axiomatic.

'Nuff said.
    Florida's also the best team. That doesn't hurt.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Florida's also the best team. That doesn't hurt.
    Agreed. It's something I've already acknowledged as well. But darned if I wouldn't have liked them to face at least a little compitition on their way the the title. Unfortunately that's not destined to happen. Cupcake City has rained supreme with them thus far. All the teams that were legit threats to beat them are all gone now: MSU, Louisville, Arizona, UVA, Kansas, Michigan, Witchita St, and Duke. All teams that could have pushed the Gators to the limit. But those teams are all gone now, and Florida didn't have to dispatch one of them themselves.

Come on, admit it. This thing is O-V-E-R.

I'd agree Florida had the easiest path and the Final Four was just given to them, but it seems a bit off to suggest the title is theirs for sure when the final four features the two teams that actually beat them this year and a third team that lost by a single point the last time they played each other. If anything, I'm thinking Florida is going to be heading to North Texas very much questioning themselves due to their far too easy road and the now realization that if anything, this is THE collection of teams with the least possible fear of them waiting for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    I'd agree Florida had the easiest path and the Final Four was just given to them, but it seems a bit off to suggest the title is theirs for sure when the final four features the two teams that actually beat them this year and a third team that lost by a single point the last time they played each other. If anything, I'm thinking Florida is going to be heading to North Texas very much questioning themselves due to their far too easy road and the now realization that if anything, this is THE collection of teams with the least possible fear of them waiting for them now.
    I would agree with this. This Final Four lineup is not the toughest Florida could have faced, but it is probably the most inconvenient.

As an aside, I can and will complain about an easy region on Selection Sunday, but I won't dismiss a team's actual run as being too easy. There are people out there who still want to attach an asterisk to the 2010 champion.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    ... If anything, I'm thinking Florida is going to be heading to North Texas very much questioning themselves due to their far too easy road and the now realization that if anything, this is THE collection of teams with the least possible fear of them waiting for them now.
    That's certainly possible. Conversely, the Gators may adopt a positive perspective and view the Final Four as an opportunity to avenge their only two losses -- a chance to complete a season in which they can say there is no team they faced that they failed to defeat at least once, and no team against which they had a losing record. As is often the case, each of the teams participating in this year's Final Four has demonstrated that it is capable of playing well enough to win against any of the others. And I would assume that each team is confidently anticipating that they will do just that. While I would expect the players and coaches on each team to approach next weekend with a healthy respect for the other three teams, I think it's unlikely that any of them will be harboring "fear" of the others.

Anyone but Ky. I don't see anyone beating them though. Florida doesn't want to play them for a fourth time. Won't be surprised to see UConn knock them out. As some others have said, Go Badgers !

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post

Obviously, I think we would all take our staff and players over theirs, but that doesn't make our staff's excuses valid.
    Staff... yes x 1,000.

I have no problem with their players though.

I know there's alot of anti-Kentucky around here, but I can't help it--I LOVE JULIUS RANDLE!!!!!

I also love Cauley-Stein and Poythress.

The Cats have somehow caught that March wave and I think they're gonna win the whole thing. I have no problem with that. They're playing some really great basketball as of late.

If they win this thing, they are an incredibly deserving champion. They beat the undefeated. They beat their archrival. They started five freshman and beat Michigan (anyone catch the irony there?).

They're gonna have to go through a surging Wisconsin and then the best team, Florida, to cut down the nets in Texas.

If they can do all that, I applaud them.

Best thing about this Final Four is that 3 of these teams will lose. I guess. I will also be rooting for Wisconsin, who I usually dislike for being boring. Desperate times.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

I don't think the coaches and players are making the excuse that they're young. Coach K even implied in his presser that he'd rather be in his current position (i.e. coaching a super freshman like Parker) than in Dawkins' at Stanford (with a senior team).

It's pretty obvious the reason we lost this year is due to poor defense.

It's been an enlightening season actually. Whenever I watched this team on TV I can't help but think about all the potential that's just on the verge of being unlocked: a superior offensive team with talented athletes that should be able to play great defense. But that KenPom defensive rating stuck out like a sore thumb...and over the course of the season I rationalized it away. There will be times that a team transcends their season long woes (like Kentucky this year), but most of the time, you are the team that played the last five months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Agreed. It's something I've already acknowledged as well. But darned if I wouldn't have liked them to face at least a little compitition on their way the the title. Unfortunately that's not destined to happen. Cupcake City has rained supreme with them thus far. All the teams that were legit threats to beat them are all gone now: MSU, Louisville, Arizona, UVA, Kansas, Michigan, Witchita St, and Duke. All teams that could have pushed the Gators to the limit. But those teams are all gone now, and Florida didn't have to dispatch one of them themselves.

Come on, admit it. This thing is O-V-E-R.
    Florida is the most deserving. They have had a great season. But destiny will have them play KY for a 4th time and the game will come down to the last minute. KY has had one of those magical runs- and they believe. The basketball gods hand 3 NCs to just a few. They are not ready to give to Donovan. The 3 KY Freshman stars are all TX kids - going to Dallas. This one is predestined- KY will win it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Florida is the most deserving. The 3 KY Freshman stars are all TX kids - going to Dallas. This one is predestined- KY will win it.

It must gall the UT faithful that these three left the state. Can you imagine the Texas football program losing this level of talent to schools in another state?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Best thing about this Final Four is that 3 of these teams will lose. I guess. I will also be rooting for Wisconsin, who I usually dislike for being boring. Desperate times.
    I think this year's Wisconsin squad, led by Frank the Tank, is one of the most entertaining offenses I have seen this year. They are not high flying entertaining - that would be Kentucky - but they run so much interesting action out of that Swing framework centering on Kaminsky, and he makes so many sweet reads off the action, that they are a blast. Jimmy Jackson's kid isn't bad either. Florida's offense has really evolved with Wilbekin doing an amazing Bazz Napier impression, and the others being able to go double figures nearly every night.

If Kentucky is able to win it all, I agree with other up-thread that, while painful, it will hopefully make our staff, and K, reconsider the "youth prevents good defense" excuse. K is a guy who always likes a challenge and in his final chapter, let's see if he can really adapt to the one and done era. He's crossed the chasm of actively recruiting these guys, now lets see if he can figure out how to optimally shape them in a 40 game time horizon. He has always relied on the upperclassmen teaching the underclassmen, but that's not the way it works these days if, in his words, leaders are the ones who play 30+ minutes a game.

Back to the forthcoming games - the Wilbekin/Napier match-up will be really fun to watch. I think the teams match-up really well, but I expect Florida to prevail. The Wisconsin offense is really going to challenge the Kentucky defense. But, I don't think Kentucky will struggle to score. I expect Kentucky to win, especially since the Harrisons have clearly kicked it into an extra gear and suddenly guys like Johnson and Lee are looking like dominant players. Throw in the usual excellent play from Randal and solid play by Young and suddenly this looks like the preseason #1 team. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I'd be happy to see Ollie or Bo Ryan win a Natty. I don't want Donovan to get his 3rd...
    You're not the only one with this sentiment, but I'm singling you out for quoting because I like context.

I think it's short-sighted to just compare coaches. The long view is to look at the school programs, and you have to ask yourself if your ultimate allegiance is to Coach K or to Duke.

Duke is currently alone with 4 titles, one behind both Indiana and UNC. (Sorry, Heels. I am only counting the gluten-free championships.)

This matters when you're developing a rooting interest in the Florida-Connecticut semifinal. Rooting for Kevin Ollie over Billy Donovan means that you'd rather see Connecticut win its 4th title, tying Duke, than see Florida win its 3rd.

This measure is also a reason to root for Wisconsin, seeking only its 2nd title. Kentucky certainly doesn't need a 9th, though I wouldn't mind seeing that Wildcat fan getting a Title IX tattoo in mistaken anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Best thing about this Final Four is that 3 of these teams will lose. ..
    Agreed.

I don't really dislike any of these players. Don't know 'em, for one thing, and I'm fairly confident that I'd like them if they'd dragged us to the championship weekend.

I've never given Wisconsin much thought, but I'm certainly rooting for them to win both games on Saturday and then play shirts/skins on Monday night.

I am forced to cheer for Wisconsin becuase I really dislike the others.

I must say, however, that the transition that UCONN has made over the last two years is remarkable. If I remember correctly, Kevin Ollie wasn't even given the full-time job until midway through last season. With the collapse of the Big East, the NCAA sanctions and the coaching change, I was expecting UCONN to be a long distant memory. Ollie somehow held it together.

I don't know why people aren't giving Wisconsin a shot against Kentucky. They've beaten UVA and Florida this season and they're not really like previous Wisconsin teams (grid it out, pound on you), though they've shown they can plan that style. This Wisc team can actually score points. And Kaminsky is playing out of his mind right now.

Will be an interesting matchup for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don't know why people aren't giving Wisconsin a shot against Kentucky. They've beaten UVA and Florida this season and they're not really like previous Wisconsin teams (grid it out, pound on you), though they've shown they can plan that style. This Wisc team can actually score points. And Kaminsky is playing out of his mind right now.

Will be an interesting matchup for sure.
    I agree. UK has won their last 3 games but they were all essentially coin-flips (one possession games in the last minute). Kudos to UK and Aaron Harrison, particularly, for winning all of them, but its not like they've been blowing teams out of the water.

Wisconsin had a close game with Oregon in the round of 32, blew out Baylor in the S16 and beat Arizona (whom I think is a better team than any of UKs' victories) to get to the FF.

Pomeroy likes Wisconsin by 1 and Vegas likes UK by 2. Pretty much the exact spreads for UK-Michigan yesterday. While Wisconsin is not a large team, they are bigger than Michigan and I think will be able to negate UK on the offensive glass better than Michigan did.

I expect a very close game.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook