Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Assistant Coaches Under Coach K

I find it interesting and maybe it is just coincidental but the 4 college head coaches who were assistants under Coach K all are now coaching at schools with high academic standards.

Amaker at Harvard ,( although he did start out at Seton Hall), Collins at Northwestern, Dawkins at Stanford and Brey at Notre Dame.

Maybe Wojo's first job will be at Princeton or Yale or Rice.

Quinn Snyder did start out at Missouri so maybe it is just coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    I find it interesting and maybe it is just coincidental but the 4 college head coaches who were assistants under Coach K all are now coaching at schools with high academic standards.

Amaker at Harvard ,( although he did start out at Seton Hall), Collins at Northwestern, Dawkins at Stanford and Brey at Notre Dame.

Well, you have to start somewhere. Ultimately I think this is a coincidence, except to the extent that experience at Duke would give a coach some idea of how to deal with recruiting and team leadership for an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    ...experience at Duke would give a coach some idea of how to deal with recruiting and team leadership for an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility.
    Or you could look at it the other way: head coaching experience at an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility would properly prepare a coach for the eventual Duke job.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Or you could look at it the other way: head coaching experience at an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility would properly prepare a coach for the eventual Duke job.
    That's what I was going to say. Wojo works right in with the Coach K five year plan.

Brey's first HC gig was Delaware.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    True enough.

Wojo

Per yahoo sports, Wojo is a canidate for the Marquette head coaching job.

If you increase the sample size to all assistants who became head coaches under K it's a bit different. Tim O'Toole went to Fairfield University, Bob Bender to Illinois State then UW, Dave Henderson to Delaware. Only one was a player under K. I don't include Jeff Capel because he was a head coach at VCU and Oklahoma before he was a Duke assistant. (He coached under his Dad.)

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    About time. Hate to see this much turnover on the bench in successive seasons, but it's time for Wojo to go run his own program.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Yeah, it says a lot for Wojo that he's competing, apparently, with Ben Howland, who has taken 3 teams to the Final Four, and Cuonzo Martin, who is coming off an Elite 8 run with Tennessee. I know Howland must be itching to get back in the game, but I don't know why Martin would be interested in the Marquette job at this point. Tennessee seems like a better job, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah, it says a lot for Wojo that he's competing, apparently, with Ben Howland, who has taken 3 teams to the Final Four, and Cuonzo Martin, who is coming off an Elite 8 run with Tennessee. I know Howland must be itching to get back in the game, but I don't know why Martin would be interested in the Marquette job at this point. Tennessee seems like a better job, all things considered.
    It would make some sense for Howland, who loves physical, tenacious defense just like Marquette. I do wonder if Howland's price tag would be problematic. I agree about Martin. He has a pretty good gig at Tennessee. That would seem like, at best, a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It would make some sense for Howland, who loves physical, tenacious defense just like Marquette. I do wonder if Howland's price tag would be problematic. I agree about Martin. He has a pretty good gig at Tennessee. That would seem like, at best, a lateral move.
    The Tennessee job is a terrible one, IMO. The fans were petitioning to fire Martin and re-hire Bruce Pearl just a few weeks before this Sweet 16 run. In any case, Wojo would be a much better hire for Marquette and he really fits their model of hiring very good high major assistants, as Crean and Williams were.

Turnover might be good

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    About time. Hate to see this much turnover on the bench in successive seasons, but it's time for Wojo to go run his own program.
    With great respect, I think that more coaching turnover might be good, and it may in fact be needed. Wojo has been an awesome contributor to our basketball program. He is also a very guard oriented coach, as has been most of Coach K's staff. Yes, I know he coached the Big Men, and I never ever thought that that made sense. I know this is a perennial issue, and every possible angle has been dissected to death on DBR, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

This year's team, and this year's coaching, have been very disappointing to me. Not primarily because of the results in wins and losses and not because of not winning championships. Rather, because -- as many DBR posters and outside analysts have noted -- the significant underperformance of this year's hugely talented team, and WHY they underperformed. I felt that Coach K and our coaching staff were not imaginative and that they reverted to old habits in crunch time. And judging from Coach K's Mercer post game presser and the end of year presser, I was not reassured that he was fully willing and able to make a full, "root cause" After Action Review. I respect Coach K as a person, leader and coach immensely. But I have become concerned about what I saw this past season.

I would love to see the addition of a new assistant coach. And, yes, with no apologies and with great conviction, I would love to see the addition of a true BIG MAN coach who has played and excelled at the Center position. Coach K is not likely to have Laettner, Gminski, Zoubek and others coach the guards no matter how bright, knowledgeable and talented they may be re the game of basketball. I believe that there are deep perspectives, techniques and mindsets that come only from having played under the basket. Of course, Coach K would have to let the Big Man coach influence how both the offense and the defense work in order to take full advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    With great respect, I think that more coaching turnover might be good, and it may in fact be needed. Wojo has been an awesome contributor to our basketball program. He is also a very guard oriented coach, as has been most of Coach K's staff. Yes, I know he coached the Big Men, and I never ever thought that that made sense. I know this is a perennial issue, and every possible angle has been dissected to death on DBR, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

This year's team, and this year's coaching, have been very disappointing to me. Not primarily because of the results in wins and losses and not because of not winning championships. Rather, because -- as many DBR posters and outside analysts have noted -- the significant underperformance of this year's hugely talented team, and WHY they underperformed. I felt that Coach K and our coaching staff were not imaginative and that they reverted to old habits in crunch time. And judging from Coach K's Mercer post game presser and the end of year presser, I was not reassured that he was fully willing and able to make a full, "root cause" After Action Review. I respect Coach K as a person, leader and coach immensely. But I have become concerned about what I saw this past season.

I would love to see the addition of a new assistant coach. And, yes, with no apologies and with great conviction, I would love to see the addition of a true BIG MAN coach who has played and excelled at the Center position. Coach K is not likely to have Laettner, Gminski, Zoubek and others coach the guards no matter how bright, knowledgeable and talented they may be re the game of basketball. I believe that there are deep perspectives, techniques and mindsets that come only from having played under the basket. Of course, Coach K would have to let the Big Man coach influence how both the offense and the defense work in order to take full advantage.
    yes, because the final four teams have coaches who have played and excelled at the center position. oh wait, no they don't. never mind.

We lost Dawkins a few years ago, we lost Collins last year, and I can only presume that our defense suffered because of it. Look at NU's defense with a vast talent deferential to Duke's. Capel is our little recruiting wunderkind and current big man coach. Losing Wojo would not help.

I think Wojo should leave and be an HC sooner rather than later, but it would not be a good thing for our team next year IMO. However, since a lot of people think that Wojo is the heir apparent to the thrown, I'd like to see him prove he can be successful at that position. K would tell him he should go if he gets the opportunity as he should. I'm also skeptical that K might promote the existing staff then add TT to the team. Is that a good call? IDK, but I would like to see someone who hasn't been with the program in a while to come back if we have to hire a new ac to inject a little new life into the whole ordeal.

Also, apparently Capel is getting some looks too.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

"Hugely talented," but hugely limited, none the same.

Warning sign #1. One month into the season, Hairston and Thornton become starters, evidently because no one else understood or could play Duke defense. Duke without good defense is like whiskey without alcohol. It may taste good at first but is ultimately unsatisfying. And I do believe that the Duke coaching staff can coach defense (and a lot of other stuff)

Warning sign #2. Losses to weak Notre Dame and offensively challenged Clemson on the road, surrendering big leads. Oops! These aren't Kansas and Arizona. This team is lacking "grace under pressure," which is how Hemingway defined "courage." Is this "coaching?" The coaching was good enough to get a comfortable second-half margin.

Warning sign #3. Duke loses to Wake, which had lost nine out of ten games. No, the early season problems have not been corrected.

This is a team with real flaws. The flaws; how shall I count them? Weak at point guard, which is a sine qua non for great Duke teams. Poor defense from our best offensive performers, Jabari and Hood. Overall offensive weakness when Thornton and Jefferson (or Marshall) are both in the game; and I don't argue with their playing. Lack of intensity at critical times and in critical games.

I wonder how the "coaches reverted to old habits in crunch time?" This seems somewhat vapid as a criticism.

And "Wojo can't coach big men." That shibboleth was buried years ago and is even memorialized by Throatybeard in his 9F list.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "Hugely talented," but hugely limited, none the same.

Warning sign #1. One month into the season, Hairston and Thornton become starters, evidently because no one else understood or could play Duke defense. Duke without good defense is like whiskey without alcohol. It may taste good at first but is ultimately unsatisfying. And I do believe that the Duke coaching staff can coach defense (and a lot of other stuff)

Warning sign #2. Losses to weak Notre Dame and offensively challenged Clemson on the road, surrendering big leads. Oops! These aren't Kansas and Arizona. This team is lacking "grace under pressure," which is how Hemingway defined "courage." Is this "coaching?" The coaching was good enough to get a comfortable second-half margin.

Warning sign #3. Duke loses to Wake, which had lost nine out of ten games. No, the early season problems have not been corrected.

This is a team with real flaws. The flaws; how shall I count them? Weak at point guard, which is a sine qua non for great Duke teams. Poor defense from our best offensive performers, Jabari and Hood. Overall offensive weakness when Thornton and Jefferson (or Marshall) are both in the game; and I don't argue with their playing. Lack of intensity at critical times and in critical games.

I wonder how the "coaches reverted to old habits in crunch time?" This seems somewhat vapid as a criticism.

And "Wojo can't coach big men." That shibboleth was buried years ago and is even memorialized by Throatybeard in his 9F list.
    I think this is probably a reference to stall ball which was eloquently supported by somebody in a thread that was framed from Dr. Strangelove and single-handedly got me to change my mind on the tactic if it is run adequately.

The only question I really had with coaching was that the staff didn't make as many adjustments to game plans based on those limitations you listed, primarily defensively. That doesn't mean they didn't try, maybe the team couldn't execute, or maybe we just didn't notice. I think the more likely scenario is that with the talent we had, the coaches thought our ceiling was where we played the style of defense they tried to play, and the best way to get better was in game play. Who knows though. Only other thing was more Marshall all year round, but hind-sight is 20/20

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Wojo out, Battier in?

Or maybe Laettner ? Battier would be good.

I would also add that Amaker coached at Michigan, which I would put above Notre Dame and Northwestern with regard to academic prestige.