Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    some of those are either incorrect or outdated.

1) once the ball hits the backboard, regardless of whether it was travelling upwards or downwards, the defense cannot touch it, lest basket interference get called...this was changed a few years ago

2)"The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane." is flat out wrong...

"e. No player shall enter or leave a marked lane space or contact any part of
    the court outside the marked lane space until the free-thrower has released
    the ball.
    "
    You're right - the list was made according to high school rules.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    2)"The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane." is flat out wrong...
    I don't think so. One of the Duke women in their last game got called for exactly that. She shot, then entered the lane before the ball reached the rim, and the point was waived off. The announcers explained it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't think so. One of the Duke women in their last game got called for exactly that. She shot, then entered the lane before the ball reached the rim, and the point was waived off. The announcers explained it.
    The free-thrower can't enter the lane until after the ball hits the rim. The rebounders can enter on release.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The free-thrower can't enter the lane until after the ball hits the rim. The rebounders can enter on release.

-jk
    TJ Warren got a key free throw waved off because he did precisely that in the St. Louis game.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Right. His statement (well the rule, not his statement) began with "the shooter".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Right. His statement (well the rule, not his statement) began with "the shooter".
    But the rule itself (as reported) is not applicable to college basketball. Doesn't matter whether it began with "the shooter" or "all of the other players". The inclusion of the other players makes the rule (as it is written) wrong for college basketball.

It is, however, correct for high school basketball (at least in North Carolina).

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Have you ever seen a five-second call against a team that rolls the ball in to save time on the clock when trying to catch up late in a game?
    Huh? How is this a violation?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think three second violations don't occur very often. A lot of fans forget Art. 3: if after receiving the ball the player moves towards the goal, or attempts a shot once receiving the ball, it's not a violation.

I'm sure if you spend time looking, you'll see players who paint the corners of the key for more than 3 seconds (e.g., out by the ft line), but I'd argue there are more important things for the refs to pay attention to than that.
    This.

Also, three-second rule ends once the ball has been released on a shot. And the count doesn't start until the ball crosses halfcourt.

All of these, combined with the fact that the refs are usually talking to the players and encouraging them to get out of the lane means in college basketball it's going to be once in a blue moon when you see a 3 second violation.