Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2nd Most Ignored College BB Rule?

Can't remember the last time a 3 second rule violation was called (you get plenty of time to camp out and have a picnic). That has to be the most ignored rule. I nominate the traveling rule as the second most ignored rule. In the first half of the Conn - Mich St game on now the announcer said at one point "that was close to a traveling call", but again nothing was called. Usually, when it is called it is a big guy shuffling his feet in close to the basket, but players driving to the basket are given wide wide latitude with respect to this rule. I swear sometimes it seems like at least 3 steps.

I don't think I've ever seen 3 in the key called in college. Hell, I've only ever seen it once or twice in the NBA. I'd say handchecking is incredibly subjective based on crew, and it shouldn't be.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Palming.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by drcharl View Post
    Can't remember the last time a 3 second rule violation was called (you get plenty of time to camp out and have a picnic). That has to be the most ignored rule. I nominate the traveling rule as the second most ignored rule. In the first half of the Conn - Mich St game on now the announcer said at one point "that was close to a traveling call", but again nothing was called. Usually, when it is called it is a big guy shuffling his feet in close to the basket, but players driving to the basket are given wide wide latitude with respect to this rule. I swear sometimes it seems like at least 3 steps.
    I don't know - Duke was called for 6 travels against Mercer.

Quote Originally Posted by drcharl View Post
    Can't remember the last time a 3 second rule violation was called (you get plenty of time to camp out and have a picnic). That has to be the most ignored rule.
    two things about it:

1) it's extremely hard to keep track of...,.refs are already keeping track of 5 second count, players pivot foots, dribbling, oh and not to mention all the other things to keep track of...it's nearly impossible to also count how long each ot 10 players might have been in the paint

2)it only takes one foot outside of the paint to avoid the call, effectively, since if you "shuffle" the other foot, then you've effectively lifted the foot and are not in the paint...players do this more often than fans realize...

combine the fact that there aren't necessarily as many 3 point violations as fans see, and teh fact that they're very difficult for refs to spot when they do happen gives you a call you'll rarely see
    April 1

Palming, all the time, never gets called, but they all do it, and I second traveling, even my young son says dad they walk a lot, why don't they call it, smh I guess, but it is funny when the point guard or whoever has the ball at the top takes about 4 steps without a dribble right in front of the ref and they don't say it, you have to laugh

Just thought of another; hooking. Only called once in a blue moon but happens almost every trip.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CR9 View Post
    Just thought of another; hooking. Only called once in a blue moon but happens almost every trip.
    The refs have no control over what happens outside the stadium.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    two things about it:

1) it's extremely hard to keep track of...,.refs are already keeping track of 5 second count, players pivot foots, dribbling, oh and not to mention all the other things to keep track of...it's nearly impossible to also count how long each ot 10 players might have been in the paint

2)it only takes one foot outside of the paint to avoid the call, effectively, since if you "shuffle" the other foot, then you've effectively lifted the foot and are not in the paint...players do this more often than fans realize...

combine the fact that there aren't necessarily as many 3 point violations as fans see, and teh fact that they're very difficult for refs to spot when they do happen gives you a call you'll rarely see
    I've never seen a three point violation called.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    have you seen one occur? that's the point...that they hardly ever actually occur, so you would expect to see the called very rarely.
    April 1

have you seen one occur? that's the point...that they hardly ever actually occur, so you would expect to see the called very rarely.
    They NEVER occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    They called it once, maybe twice in the women's game against the Tools In Cameron...or one of the women's games this year, notable for its rarity on the women's side as well.

Have you ever seen a five-second call against a team that rolls the ball in to save time on the clock when trying to catch up late in a game?

Neither have I, but I've seen at least a half-dozen violations this year.

In some states it is a three point violation if you drive one to nine miles per hour over the posted speed limit. Is that what you are talking about? I haven't seen that called, ever, in North Carolina. In Virginia it's part of the pack line defense which works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Have you ever seen a five-second call against a team that rolls the ball in to save time on the clock when trying to catch up late in a game?

Very good point. Definitely a gray area when this is done...

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Ball just has to be released by the inbounder within 5 seconds. No requirement that it be picked up. (That was the rule years ago, though.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    They called it once, maybe twice in the women's game against the Tools In Cameron...or one of the women's games this year, notable for its rarity on the women's side as well.
    Based on dress, they used to be able to call it every game for the holes.

two things about it:

Once you've established both feet in the lane, both feet must also leave the lane. Only moving one foot outside of the lane does not reset the count. Or at least that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Once you've established both feet in the lane, both feet must also leave the lane. Only moving one foot outside of the lane does not reset the count. Or at least that's my understanding.
    My understanding was that one foot out of the lane and the other in the air was kosher. ...

My understanding was that one foot out of the lane and the other in the air was kosher. ...
    The rule is ambiguous. I can't find a good clarification on the phrase, "any part of his body remain in the three-second lane". Is it the "breaking the plane" of defending a thrower-in or more like "both feet and the ball" establishing frontcourt status? It's not in the rule book or the case book that I can find. I suspect they mean you have to get your self past the plane. Mostly. (The spirit of the thing.)

Rule 9. Section 10. Three Seconds In The Lane

Art. 1. The three-second lane is the area in the front court that is bounded by the end line, the free-throw lane lines and the free-throw line, and includes such lines.

Art. 2. It is a violation for a player to have any part of his body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his front court.

a. The three-second violation rule is not in effect when a team is in control of the ball for a throw-in.

Art. 3. The three-second count is suspended when a player who, having been in the three-second lane for less than three seconds, dribbles or moves in immediately to try for field goal. The player shall not pass the ball instead of trying for goal. In this case, it is a violation when a player exceeds three seconds in the lane and there is no try for goal.

-jk