Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    That's...interesting. Leaving aside the quality of Ford's intel, where could Rasheed expect to get drafted this year? Is he a first round guy? He seems like an end-of-the-first-round dude, but I confess I've thought so little about the possibility that I could be wildly off in either direction.
    I agree. I was reading that post lazily until I saw Rasheed's name pop up, that is literally the first I've heard him mentioned. I'm wondering if it is Forde tossing a name out there to fill space as opposed to actual an actual source saying "pay attention here". Not knocking Forde, I find him respectable, but that is just so out of left field.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

To get this thread back on topic...

UCLA's Kyle Anderson is reportedly declaring for the draft. This is hardly a surprise, though he is one of the guys Chad Forde had as "50-50" on his early entry list. Most folks project Anderson as a late teens-early 20s kind of pick and I really doubt he drops to the 2nd round. My Atlanta Hawks will be picking in that kind of range and I would love them to pick up Anderson. He has unique size and length for the PG position, even if his quickness and athleticism are lacking.

-Jason "by the way, I am not seeing Suliamon projected in either the 2014 or 2015 mocks I have looked at recently" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

UCLA's Kyle Anderson is reportedly declaring for the draft. This is hardly a surprise, though he is one of the guys Chad Forde had as "50-50" on his early entry list. Most folks project Anderson as a late teens-early 20s kind of pick and I really doubt he drops to the 2nd round. My Atlanta Hawks will be picking in that kind of range and I would love them to pick up Anderson. He has unique size and length for the PG position, even if his quickness and athleticism are lacking.

-Jason "by the way, I am not seeing Suliamon projected in either the 2014 or 2015 mocks I have looked at recently" Evans
    and there's a report out that his teammate, Zach Levine, will join him in the draft...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...014-nba-draft/

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I don't think there's much "reportedly" about it. Months ago Anderson's dad came out and said this was Kyle's last year, and he's been repeating it ever since.

He's the most difficult player to project into the NBA. I love his game, primarily how well he sees the game and can get to a spot despite being the slowest, least athletic guy out there. He's just so smart and so crafty. But seriously, how is he going to defend in the league? I don't know, but I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Maybe they want to stick around to learn to read. It is an upper level course at unc.
    When they finally get "it" however, it's heart-warming. The way they bend their 6'8" bodies down to the plastic tub of books, grab one and then scamper over to the cozy recliner and climb up in it, and read all by themselves -- it's just really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am not so sure this is true. Brandon Wright? Kendall Marshall? Both guys should have stayed. That said, the usual rule of thumb is to leave if you are a lottery pick. McAdoo may have had a shot - but he would have struggled in the NBA. Paige is borderline this year- particularly with this year's draft. Parker and Irving are outliers- top 3 picks. Rivers probably should have stayed but maybe K was not too sad to see him leave.
    Depends on if you mean someone should/shouldn't go based on basketball readiness or the almighty dollar. I'd argue JMM may not have been as basketball ready after his freshman year, but he certainly lost a lot of money by not declaring for the draft then.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't think there's much "reportedly" about it. Months ago Anderson's dad came out and said this was Kyle's last year, and he's been repeating it ever since.

He's the most difficult player to project into the NBA. I love his game, primarily how well he sees the game and can get to a spot despite being the slowest, least athletic guy out there. He's just so smart and so crafty. But seriously, how is he going to defend in the league? I don't know, but I'll definitely be rooting for him.
    If he is legitimately 6'9" with a 7'3" wingspan (as was reported last night pre-game), I think he makes for a very interesting PF on defense/ballhandler on offense. I'm picturing a post-HIV Magic Johnson type of player.

I don't think he can defend PG, SG, or SF, but if he adds a little muscle I could see him defending PF adequately enough to make him a matchup nightmare on the other end.

Of course, if he's really 6'7" with a 6'11" wingspan, the PF thing probably goes out the window.

Anderson was my favorite player coming out of that high school class. I really wanted Duke to go after him hard but we didn't.

I think Kyle will have an NBA game much like Tony Kukoc. Not the most gifted athlete, but really crafty and able to impact the game in many different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    When they finally get "it" however, it's heart-warming. The way they bend their 6'8" bodies down to the plastic tub of books, grab one and then scamper over to the cozy recliner and climb up in it, and read all by themselves -- it's just really neat.
    I don't have a problem with the Carolina players, most of whom are fine academically.

I have much less patience with the presumably literate faculty and administration that allowed their circus act to continue.

But back to going pro early...

Too bad

you can not combine Zach Levine and Kyle Anderson.

Super athlete and super bball IQ.

Both are leaving UCLA. It is pretty well understood that Tony Parker hates school, not sure what he is going to do.

This is a bad time of year. Duke is not playing bball and most news is early entry stuff. Some recruiting news.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    you can not combine Zach Levine and Kyle Anderson.

Super athlete and super bball IQ.

Both are leaving UCLA. It is pretty well understood that Tony Parker hates school, not sure what he is going to do.

This is a bad time of year. Duke is not playing bball and most news is early entry stuff. Some recruiting news.

SoCal

Is Tony Parker NBA ready? He may hate school but it'd be wise of him to continue to get better and get in better shape. Next year could be good for him with Kyle and Zach leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Is Tony Parker NBA ready? He may hate school but it'd be wise of him to continue to get better and get in better shape. Next year could be good for him with Kyle and Zach leaving.
    With the Wear twins graduating and Anderson leaving, there should be a lot of frontcourt minutes available. UCLA does have a couple of PF and a C coming in next year, but Parker should probably become a starter.

He was just okay this year (17.2 mpg, 6.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg). But maybe next year he'll be a bigger presence for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    You never know what's going on behind the scenes. Years ago I spoke with a Big East coach, asking why in the world his young but huge post player declared for the draft. It turned out that he too "hated school", so much so that there was no way the university would allow him to return. A little matter of having to show up to class now and then, and maybe pass a test once in a while.

Tony Parker

I don't know about NBA ready I'm still waiting on his recruitment announcement to finish!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    You never know what's going on behind the scenes. Years ago I spoke with a Big East coach, asking why in the world his young but huge post player declared for the draft. It turned out that he too "hated school", so much so that there was no way the university would allow him to return. A little matter of having to show up to class now and then, and maybe pass a test once in a while.
    Guy should have gone to unc, great place to go if you don't like going to class ... or taking tests ...

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Whether or not K was sad to see him leave, Rivers, as the son of an NBA coach, presumably had access to very good information and advice in making his decision. Under those circumstances, K might worry less about whether Rivers was making a poor or ill-informed decision than with other players. Although this may not have been your intention, your comment could be interpreted to suggest that K advised Rivers to leave, or didn't discourage him from leaving, even though Rivers wasn't ready. I don't think we have any basis on which to make that assumption. And apologies in advance if I am reading too much into your post.
    The original intent of my post was that Roy did not have some magical persuasive ability to keep players from going pro. In some cases it makes sense in others it does not. Wright and Marshall were examples of players he was not able to persuade. As for Wright- I think he has been somewhat of a disappointment based on the potential on which he was drafted. There is no question that the economics is such that lottery pick players should leave early. But the payoff is in the second contract. Wright was expected to be better and there are many other examples of folks whose potential was better than their play. As for Rivers- there is no question that he had the data he needed to guide his decision. Not sure it was the best decision but time will tell. The point about K was simply to indicate - as many of us have felt- that Austin may not have been the best teammate or completely connected to team.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Anderson was my favorite player coming out of that high school class. I really wanted Duke to go after him hard but we didn't.

I think Kyle will have an NBA game much like Tony Kukoc. Not the most gifted athlete, but really crafty and able to impact the game in many different ways.
    Difference is that Kukoc could shoot much better than Anderson.

Anderson reminds me of a taller Andre Miller.

LaQuinton Ross is officially gone per OSU

Now why would a kid's dad be saying that for months when the kid himself hasn't? After the Shabazz story, I'm getting depressed about parental motivations. It hadn't occurred to me until I read the Shabazz story, but a parent's credit worthiness goes WAY up if his or her son is about to cash in. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just getting that little bit of hair standing up on the back of my neck, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    LaQuinton Ross is officially gone per OSU
    His D ain't much, but that kid has a really smooth and creative offensive game, and I think he's going to be able to score plenty in the NBA. If I've got a mid-to-late first round pick, and my team needs scoring punch, I'm looking real hard at Ross.