Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Coach K presser 3/26/14

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will hold a press conference this afternoon to discuss the 2013-14 men’s basketball season and a number of other topics.
    Stream is free.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

looks like you have to sign up and pay?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    looks like you have to sign up and pay?
    Says today, all Blue Devil fans can view free. GoDuke!

Launch the player, choose Live Events, it's at the top of the list.

It's streaming, but K isn't there yet.

-jk

In news that will please most Duke fans, it looks like Krzyzewski will be around for at least another five seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Coach K says he's going to be at Duke for another five years. My level of nerves has dropped substantially. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Hmmm ... I'm on iPad Air, have launched player and chosen live events, but keep getting message, "Playback of this media is not supported."

Won't worry about it, but would appreciate any tidbits, overall summary later. Thanks to anyone out there.

For those at work, Adam Rowe is posting a play by play on his message board here... http://duke.247sports.com/Board/5946...24/1#a26757214

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Hmmm ... I'm on iPad Air, have launched player and chosen live events, but keep getting message, "Playback of this media is not supported."

Won't worry about it, but would appreciate any tidbits, overall summary later. Thanks to anyone out there.
    On an iPad you need to use the Duke app. Can't use Safari to play GoDuke.com video.

K thinks the "20 and 2 rule" (aka 2 and done) will be implemented in the next 5 years

Defends one and done by Duke (cites what if back to back championships with Kyrie in 2011 - what would the response to Duke's use of one and done be then?)

If a great player wants to come to your school you have to be "an idiot" to say no - says K, not me

Acknowledges lack of on court leadership this past season (cites Zoubek as an amazing leader, shaking his head in admiration)
    Last edited by Atlanta Duke; 03-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    On an iPad you need to use the Duke app. Can't use Safari to play GoDuke.com video.
    Thanks. I'm new to iPad, obviously still clueless... Me, not you.

No draft decisions made yet, no announcements.

You know, I'm almost okay with Round-of-64 losses if we're going to have press conferences like these following them. (Yes, folks, everything is getting evaluated. As if there should've been any doubt about that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    You know, I'm almost okay with Round-of-64 losses if we're going to have press conferences like these following them. (Yes, folks, everything is getting evaluated. As if there should've been any doubt about that.)
    Did Coach K give all upset fans signed basketballs and back rubs?

Care to explain your optimism? I didn't hear the press conference?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    What, you mean the fact that Krzyzewski didn't throw a temper tantrum in the Mercer postgame press conference *wasn't* a sign of complacency? Imagine that.

Agreed that was very informative and impressive

It seemed to K is chapped about taking all the heat for his comparison of the A-10 and ACC. He thanked (not sarcastically) a reporter for bringing it up and and said nobody (which I took to mean other ACC coaches) had his back.

K said he will not be doing that again. With the "everything will be evaluated" theme of the presser I think K is going to let the rest of the conference take care of itself for awhile.

I've never heard K be this candid before.

Seems like the loss lit a fire underneath him. Hope he takes no prisoners next year.

Some things mentioned by Coach K. 1) 5 more years 2) Playing 80 or so games AAU ball doesn't develop leaders. More about individual play than winning. 3) Leadership missing this season. Going to work on that. Said leaders need to be starters(30 min ppg). He said that Tyus is an outstanding leader.4) Lack of consistency at point guard this season. Said Quinn's best talent is shooting. 5) Going to look at defensive techniques and defensive conditioning off season. Said he and Wojo discussed it on the Ohio recruiting trip. He said that talking is the life blood for playing good defense and that the team didn't do it when they got tired. 6) He said that 2nd half leads evaporating came from not being able to give that extra push, but the other team did give it the extra push. Coach was candid and it seemed to me that next years team will be in better condition. He also gave a great compliment to Zoubs for being a great senior leader in 2010. I'm looking forward to next season already. GoDuke!

Some very interesting comments on the role of parents/AAU ball, etc., in the development of leadership skills--or, more properly, their non-development. K suggests kids learn more about leadership when they are putting together their own games, with their own rules, on the playground instead of having everything done for them.

This is right in line with a lot of other things that are being said these days about over-parenting and the effects of marching kids through organized activities rather than giving them some freer rein to do their own thing. But it's the first time I have heard a direct application to basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Did Coach K give all upset fans signed basketballs and back rubs?

Care to explain your optimism? I didn't hear the press conference?
    Link to the streaming video here

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Link to the running commentary here

http://duke.247sports.com/Board/5946...215-26755824/1

This did not seem like someone in denial

He said everything is going to be evaluated but at the same time is not backing down on the current recruiting strategy (believes in the past 5 seasons the 2010, 2011 and 2013 teams were legitimate national championship contenders whereas from 2005-2009 only the 2006 team had a real shot). He did say the on court leadership this year was lacking and that will be something that is going to be under review as to why. His comments on how AAU ball as opposed to winners keeping the court games might be impacting the ability to lead were an angle I had not heard before. He also said it is hard to lead as a role player.

He was candid that perhaps what works in his motivational speeches to corporate execs and coaching grown men for Team USA might not always work for younger players - that indicated to me he acknowledges that for whatever reason this team did not respond as well to his coaching and he plans to figure out why.

It was also informative when K said players need to listen to the coach and the rest of a team needs to defer to the best players on the team (cited Chris Paul needing to adapt his game to LeBron, Durant & Kobe for Team USA). For next season he said that means other players tailoring their game to play off Okafor's talents

He also talked about the next 5 years - I regard it as a good thing that he does not sound like someone punching a time clock until he qualifies for a pension.

When I have seen K it is a post-game press conference. Having a chance to see him discuss more of his approach to maintaining a program was educational.
    Last edited by Atlanta Duke; 03-26-2014 at 01:57 PM.