Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

An update

A frequent flyer board I occasionally visit had some interesting things to say...

First, if you haven't seen it, here's the interview Matt Lauer did with the young woman on the "Today" show. Notice that her skirt is so short that when she sits back down, we can see what color underwear she's wearing.

Second, her MySpace page is quite interesting. (search under her name, Kyla Ebbert - I don't want to post a direct link as some of the content might be considered inappropriate) Tops on her list of people to meet: Hugh Hefner. Recently added friend: FHM magazine "talent" scout. Her pictures and her description of herself paint a picture of a young woman with definite exhibitionist tendencies.

Third, a poster on the Flyer Talk boards posted a second-hand report from a Southwest flight attendant that, in addition to the very short skirt Miss Ebbert was wearing, she's was NOT wearing appropriate undergarments. Needless to say, going "commando" in such a skirt would definitely be inappropriate for such a public setting.

So, the story gets a little more interesting, and it's possible that Southwest's actions were completely reasonable.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Things like this make me wonder if we're the most puritanical/prudish industrialized nation.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Things like this make me wonder if we're the most puritanical/prudish industrialized nation.
    I can't imagine anyone else is close.

I'm curious when and why modesty has become a seemingly bad thing.

Thank you, throaty and billy.

From a legal perspective I think that some of the heavily Catholic countries might have us beat, but culturally I don't think anyone comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I'm curious when and why modesty has become a seemingly bad thing.
    Around the time attractive women started wearing very short skirts? I kid.

Modesty is having a conservative attitude towards your own clothes. Having a conservative attitude about other people's clothing is prudery.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Third, a poster on the Flyer Talk boards posted a second-hand report from a Southwest flight attendant that, in addition to the very short skirt Miss Ebbert was wearing, she's was NOT wearing appropriate undergarments. Needless to say, going "commando" in such a skirt would definitely be inappropriate for such a public setting.
    If you're looking closely at a woman's crotch, haven't you pretty much forfeited the right to be offended by what you see there?

How about those living under Islamic law? Pretty stringent. Way beyond being a puritanical/prudish. Some will kill you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How about those living under Islamic law? Pretty stringent. Way beyond being a puritanical/prudish. Some will kill you there.
    throatybeard expressly limited his question to industrialized countries.

To change the topic a little bit -

Do you think that obese people should be forced to purchase two tickets? I was on a flight back from south Africa, an 18 hr flight, and the person next to me was spilling over into my seat so that I ahd no choice but to be smacked directly next to them, full contact and all.

I know this is a very very touchy subject - but what kind of policies should airlines be able to enforce in that arena?

A frequent flyer board I occasionally visit had some interesting things to say...

First, if you haven't seen it, here's the interview Matt Lauer did with the young woman on the "Today" show. Notice that her skirt is so short that when she sits back down, we can see what color underwear she's wearing.

Second, her MySpace page is quite interesting. (search under her name, Kyla Ebbert - I don't want to post a direct link as some of the content might be considered inappropriate) Tops on her list of people to meet: Hugh Hefner. Recently added friend: FHM magazine "talent" scout. Her pictures and her description of herself paint a picture of a young woman with definite exhibitionist tendencies.

So, the story gets a little more interesting, and it's possible that Southwest's actions were completely reasonable.

I had a feeling there was more to the story - thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If you're looking closely at a woman's crotch, haven't you pretty much forfeited the right to be offended by what you see there?
    "I was just in there asking for directions for how to get away from there."
    --Principal Seymour Skinner

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Hypothetical: you are sitting, she is reaching up to put something in the overhead bin above you. You look over to see if you can help at all and are given an eyeful.

Just an example, plausible scenario with no staring.

"I was just in there asking for directions for how to get away from there."
    --Principal Seymour Skinner
    "This is the National Air and Space Museum, isn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Hypothetical: you are sitting, she is reaching up to put something in the overhead bin above you. You look over to see if you can help at all and are given an eyeful.

Just an example, plausible scenario with no staring.
    I quickly notify my wife so she can see too.

(She's pretty cool like that).

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    To change the topic a little bit -

Do you think that obese people should be forced to purchase two tickets? I was on a flight back from south Africa, an 18 hr flight, and the person next to me was spilling over into my seat so that I ahd no choice but to be smacked directly next to them, full contact and all.

I know this is a very very touchy subject - but what kind of policies should airlines be able to enforce in that arena?
    The problem with this is how do you determine who must buy 2-tickets? Is it by weight, because that could be unfair to people who are taller and carry more weight but are not so fat as to be "spilling over into another seat." Is it different by gender? Certainly a 5-11, 200 pound man and a 5-2, 200 pound woman are verrry different in terms of how much space they take up in a seat. Then, obviously, there is the added cost incurred by forcing people to do this. Many overweight people would find it cheaper, perhaps, to buy a first class ticket (with wider first-class seats) rather than buy two coach seats.

In theory, yes, I agree that some people should be required to buy 2 tickets because they legitimately take up more than one seat. But, in practice, this is almost impossible to impliment fairly and effectively.

--Jason "I feel for you-- sitting next to someone oversized on an international flight can be a nightmare" Evans

Needless to say, going "commando" in such a skirt would definitely be inappropriate for such a public setting.
    Would any of you want to sit in the seat that someone's bare bottom was in?

I watched the link JBDuke put up. Wasn't looking to see anything but definitely saw her panties. As someone else mentioned, even if you're not looking for it, sometimes it's right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "I feel for you-- sitting next to someone oversized on an international flight can be a nightmare" Evans
    Jason: Am I, a 6'7" person ("oversized," not obese), your biggest nightmare on an international flight?

But seriously, my biggest nightmare is the 5'2" recliner in the seat in front of me. What I would give to have that extra 7+inches of clearance that person has! But is that person content with that extra space? Is that person considerate of all those around him or her? No. Nothing like the dreaded feeling when you are trying to doze, and the so-and-so in front of you drills your knees. OUCH!! And yes, if I take Northwest, I'll probably have to pay extra for the priviliege of sitting in the aisle seat, being drilled by the recliner.

As we age, I suspect that many of us ourselves will be guilty of spillover. As it is now, more than 20% of adults in nearly every state are considered obese.

I'd argue that drunks and people with bad etiquette are more of a nightmare on those flights.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Southwest

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Jason: Am I, a 6'7" person ("oversized," not obese), your biggest nightmare on an international flight?

But seriously, my biggest nightmare is the 5'2" recliner in the seat in front of me. What I would give to have that extra 7+inches of clearance that person has! But is that person content with that extra space? Is that person considerate of all those around him or her? No. Nothing like the dreaded feeling when you are trying to doze, and the so-and-so in front of you drills your knees. OUCH!! And yes, if I take Northwest, I'll probably have to pay extra for the priviliege of sitting in the aisle seat, being drilled by the recliner.

As we age, I suspect that many of us ourselves will be guilty of spillover. As it is now, more than 20% of adults in nearly every state are considered obese.

I'd argue that drunks and people with bad etiquette are more of a nightmare on those flights.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The biggest nightmare would be seeing you in a miniskirt and tight top on ANY flight