Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Welcome to Duke, Mr. Kennard.

I will apologize in advance for any time I might call you Denny Kennard.
    Not to be confused with Greg Zoubek or was it Brian Koubek?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Folks please apply some common sense and courtesy while posting in this thread. The intent of the thread after all is to "WELCOME KENNARD TO DUKE" Hello?

So welcome to Duke Luke Kennard! Like DukieinKansas there has to be some Dennard messups coming in the next 4 years or so...

More tweets

Justise and Jeter:

Chase Jeter ‏@chasejeter04 · 2h
    Luke Duke

Justise Winslow ‏@Chief_Justise · 2h
    “@chasejeter04: Luke Duke” YOU NEXT BRO. #WeWaiting

Chase Jeter‏@chasejeter04 · @Chief_Justise Haha only time will tell family.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Now, admittedly, I began this thread having had a cocktail, but I kept seeing references to nonexistent comments. Were the assertions so egregious that adults couldn't be trusted to put them into perspective?

Welcome Luke, and congratulations on making a wonderful decision for your life and career!

I don't see the Scheyer comparison as much. Obviously, they are both incredible scorers, capable of getting hot and taking over a game, but the first thing that stands out to me is the athletic ability. Scheyer never had that level of strength and athleticism, let's be clear about that. This kid can cross a guy up and throw it down hard. Scheyer's game was more crafty and built on using fakes and subtle moves to get where he wanted because he wasn't the quickest or fastest guy on the floor, whereas Kennard seems to be a more straightforward offensive player right now. Lastly, (and nobody is giving enough credit to Scheyer here) Scheyer was a really, really solid defensive player, which Kennard will need to work on this next year and throughout his time at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Now, admittedly, I began this thread having had a cocktail, but I kept seeing references to nonexistent comments. Were the assertions so egregious that adults couldn't be trusted to put them into perspective?
    Not really. But if you're going to troll I guess it helps to have tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't know. Obviously you can't tell that much from a highlight video, but he didn't remind me of Jon Scheyer at all. More like Kyle Korver, though with his unorthodox shooting stroke that's probably not a good comp either. But if you think Scheyer, that's fine with me. I've never been big into player comps anyway.
    I know you don't want to push this, but Kyle Korver can't play point guard. I think if people watched more than just that one video of Kennard, they might start to see the Scheyer thing. Or I could be nuts.

Like I said, I really really didn't want to make the Scheyer comparison. Certain things forced me to. (Not race, as mentioned.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I know you don't want to push this, but Kyle Korver can't play point guard. I think if people watched more than just that one video of Kennard, they might start to see the Scheyer thing. Or I could be nuts.

Like I said, I really really didn't want to make the Scheyer comparison. Certain things forced me to. (Not race, as mentioned.)
    Korver was way bigger, and a better shooter probably, but definitely doesn't have the same type of handles as Kennard.

Quote Originally Posted by dmac2681 View Post
    He kind of reminds me of Baker from Wichita State. Similar handles but probably better driving ability. We'll see!
    Ok, can that be the last "white guy on a basketball team" comparative? I'd really like to switch gears before someone throws out the shorter version of mcdermott idea.
    Slightly undersized wing with good handles, not afraid of contact and can finish with both hands? Why not Wayne Selden?
    Quick, slightly unorthodox release, fearless in the lane, suspect defender but can score in bunches, streaky from deep, decent handles but not elite ball handler? Why not Austin Rivers?

welcome to duke, mr kennard!!!!!!!!!

can't wait to see you wearing the uni!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheGame View Post
    Ok, can that be the last "white guy on a basketball team" comparative? I'd really like to switch gears before someone throws out the shorter version of mcdermott idea.
    Slightly undersized wing with good handles, not afraid of contact and can finish with both hands? Why not Wayne Selden?
    Quick, slightly unorthodox release, fearless in the lane, suspect defender but can score in bunches, streaky from deep, decent handles but not elite ball handler? Why not Austin Rivers?
    Wayne Selden can't play PG, not as good a shooter, not as good a passer as Kennard.

Similarly, Luke's a better shooter and passer than Austin.

(I'm just giddy we got Luke. I'll stop with the comparison debates at some point.)

Wait... How about...

Larry Bird without the mustache?

Dirk Nowitski without the accent?

Detlef Schrimpf without the accent?

Toni Kukoc without the accent?

umm... Jason Williams without the tats(no, not our JWill - silly!)?

ohh... wait... Hedo Turkoglu without the accent?

Does that about cover it???

It's tough to compare recruits to former Duke players. Remember when everyone compared Alex Murphy to Kyle Singler? Admittedly, I was one of them, and based on his game tape, you could swear he was a carbon copy of Singler. But alas, we know how that turned out.

Wayne Selden can't play PG, not as good a shooter, not as good a passer as Kennard.

(I'm just giddy we got Luke. I'll stop with the comparison debates at some point.)
    I love the comparisons. I just wish there was a little more...um...variety to the selections.

I love Luke's game and I grew up in that area so I know that dragging talent out of there is no small feat!
    Having grown up near there, I will provide one word of caution. Franklin is a tiny school and plays in a tiny school conference. Bellbrook is tiny, clinton-massie is tiny, middletown is tiny. Basically those schools all play in what we called the farm leagues. They dont compete against the trotwood madisons (Adrien Payne), Centervilles (basically every ohio state football player) and cincy city league schools (St. X, Moeller, Elder, etc.) Again, I love Lukes game but there may be a little bit of a semi-like transition period.

Wayne Selden was recruited to play sg and pg...and he's 6'5

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2012/o...ku-basketball/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Go ask Kentucky, aren't they 40-0?
    If they beat 34-0, you could say they are 35-0.

As for Luke comparisons, his lateral movement reminds me of Rod Laver.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Wait... How about...

Larry Bird without the mustache?

Dirk Nowitski without the accent?

Detlef Schrimpf without the accent?

Toni Kukoc without the accent?

umm... Jason Williams without the tats(no, not our JWill - silly!)?

ohh... wait... Hedo Turkoglu without the accent?

Does that about cover it???
    Shawn Bradley without the two year hiatus?

I love the comparisons. I just wish there was a little more...um...variety to the selections.

I love Luke's game and I grew up in that area so I know that dragging talent out of there is no small feat!
    Having grown up near there, I will provide one word of caution. Franklin is a tiny school and plays in a tiny school conference. Bellbrook is tiny, clinton-massie is tiny, middletown is tiny. Basically those schools all play in what we called the farm leagues. They dont compete against the trotwood madisons (Adrien Payne), Centervilles (basically every ohio state football player) and cincy city league schools (St. X, Moeller, Elder, etc.) Again, I love Lukes game but there may be a little bit of a semi-like transition period.
    There's one scouting report I read today that mentions how well he played when he matched up against Justin Jackson - so at least there's evidence of him holding his own against high DI level competition.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If they beat 34-0, you could say they are 35-0.

As for Luke comparisons, his lateral movement reminds me of Rod Laver.
    Interesting... Rod Laver is in his 70's so I'd hope Luke moves a little faster than that.

Shawn Bradley without the two year hiatus?
    Matt Christensen without the 6 year hiatus?