Quote Originally Posted by CPDUKEGUY24 View Post
    Hmm...
    I'd guess more like,

Jones - PG
    Kennard - SG
    Sulaimon - SF
    Amile - PF
    Plum-tree - C

That's if Suli doesn't blow up next year, and IF Matt Jones doesn't step up to become a reliable 2 guard. Among many other IF's is Tyus Jones sticking around after a year. I guess we could go on for a while, all to get to the point that a lot could change between now and then.

Anyway, welcome to Duke, Cool Hand Luke. I hope you enjoy your time!

Go Duke
    Not to get off-track here, but don't forget Justise Winslow at SF. He's got good size for the position, known especially for his rebounding, floor play, and defense. After a year like this, Coach K will put even more of a premium on defense.

Really like Kennard; saw some mention of Michigan's interest in him; Luke seems like the kind of guy Beilein would just love to have -- versatile and a good shooter. This is a major get to pluck this kid from that area of the country where Ohio State, Kentucky, and Michigan were all after him.

Luke's Announcement

I was busy and unable to hear the stream.

I assume and hope it was pretty classy.

Any comments.

SoCal

Is this Duke's first recruit from Ohio (at least in the last few decades)? I can't think of any others.

Glad we have one on board for 2015. Hopefully he is a good one. And hopefully he is just one of many more to come!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Kennard!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Glad we have one on board for 2015. Hopefully he is a good one. And hopefully he is just one of many more to come!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Kennard!
    One more hopefully, that he can play defense or that he can learn to play defense quickly. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Is this Duke's first recruit from Ohio (at least in the last few decades)? I can't think of any others.
    In men's basketball? Not recently - the only one I see from the Krzyzewski era is Marty Nessley.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    but I really do believe we have a great shot at it next year..I know after the season we've been through I'll get lambasted for it, but we have such promising mix of freshmen at four positions that really do look like prototypes at their position that it could be classic basketball team. true point guard, jones...I hope K gives him the ball day 1 and tells him its his team, he's done it before. Grayson Allen, you guys can laugh but he is a pure shooter with great hops, JJ like and with Winslow a power forward in the Battier/Singler mold and Okafor a true center and maybe the best center we've seen come to Duke as a freshman..just great distribution of size and talent that should complement each other so well...throw out what we've seen this year with freshmen inexperience, etc...this is gonna be an exception to the rule

I'd start those four and maybe rasheed but he'd have to practice the Nolan Smith runner tear drop in the lane all summer long to get the start...I am sorry but the dribble dribble, drive, get your shot blocked or turn the ball over is a thing of the past...all of course is just my opinion but it my honest one
    So, let me get this straight? You're going to start four freshmen, and maybe if Rasheed is very, very good you'll let him be the fifth starter? Do Quinn, Amile, Marshall, Matt, and Semi get to play at all? Hey, I just got an idea, maybe if Myles Turner comes to Duke we can start five freshmen. I think that's the perfect plan. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by WojoAlum View Post
    Look at the class of 2011. Why did Gbinje and Murphy transfer? and Sulaimon and Parker start this year? Why is Rodney Hood contemplating declaring for the NBA draft? and Andre Dawkins reduced to a role player in his final year of eligibility?
    Hold the phone. Division I basketball teams get 13 scholarships and if Coach K has filled all 13 once in 30 years that's more than I think he has. Are you suggesting he should only recruit 5 players total? Or maybe 7 or 8, or whatever the exact amount of the rotation is? Or do you mean we can recruit more than 7 or 8, but the younger guys aren't allowed to be better than whoever got here first? Or maybe you simply mean we should always start the more experienced players no matter what? If a younger player earns a starting spot, it doesn't matter, he still shouldn't start? And if your best player happens to be a freshman and he plays a lot you call that "over recruiting"?

OK, now I understand your post.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not to get off-track here, but don't forget Justise Winslow at SF. He's got good size for the position, known especially for his rebounding, floor play, and defense. After a year like this, Coach K will put even more of a premium on defense.

Really like Kennard; saw some mention of Michigan's interest in him; Luke seems like the kind of guy Beilein would just love to have -- versatile and a good shooter. This is a major get to pluck this kid from that area of the country where Ohio State, Kentucky, and Michigan were all after him.
    That and Semi will play some role here. He has to. But isn't Kennard bigger than Sheed? So he'd likely be the '3' in that 3-guard line-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me.
    I don't know. Obviously you can't tell that much from a highlight video, but he didn't remind me of Jon Scheyer at all. More like Kyle Korver, though with his unorthodox shooting stroke that's probably not a good comp either. But if you think Scheyer, that's fine with me. I've never been big into player comps anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't know. Obviously you can't tell that much from a highlight video, but he didn't remind me of Jon Scheyer at all. More like Kyle Korver, though with his unorthodox shooting stroke that's probably not a good comp either. But if you think Scheyer, that's fine with me. I've never been big into player comps anyway.
    Well, I'll throw this at you anyhow -- how about Kennard as a comp to Nik Stauskas? Similar size, great shooting range, can drive and score in a variety of ways, high basketball IQ.

After looking up some stats on Stauskas, that's not an easy standard to reach -- he's averaging over 17 points, hitting 45% from 3-pt range, and has a good number of assists. Still, I bet Beilein really wanted Kennard for his shooting and versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    In men's basketball? Not recently - the only one I see from the Krzyzewski era is Marty Nessley.
    Thanks for the info.
    I couldn't recall any.

I may have to go watch him play during his senior season

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    but I really do believe we have a great shot at it next year..I know after the season we've been through I'll get lambasted for it, but we have such promising mix of freshmen at four positions that really do look like prototypes at their position that it could be classic basketball team. true point guard, jones...I hope K gives him the ball day 1 and tells him its his team, he's done it before. Grayson Allen, you guys can laugh but he is a pure shooter with great hops, JJ like and with Winslow a power forward in the Battier/Singler mold and Okafor a true center and maybe the best center we've seen come to Duke as a freshman..just great distribution of size and talent that should complement each other so well...throw out what we've seen this year with freshmen inexperience, etc...this is gonna be an exception to the rule

I'd start those four and maybe rasheed but he'd have to practice the Nolan Smith runner tear drop in the lane all summer long to get the start...I am sorry but the dribble dribble, drive, get your shot blocked or turn the ball over is a thing of the past...all of course is just my opinion but it my honest one
    It is true that none of those Freshman have ever missed a shot or been burned by a defender in a Duke uniform. If they can keep it that way- we will be National Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me.
    He reminds me a bit more of a shorter, less explosive Rodney Hood.

(Not really. Just wanted to mix things up a bit.)

Going back further, there was Bob Fleischer from Youngstown -- pretty good player on some not very good teams from 1973 to 1975.

It's not a traditional recruiting area for Duke for sure with the B1G and Kentucky nearby.

He seems pretty athletic to me (more than Scheyer for sure), certainly great handles and good quickness. He can jump pretty well. I think he'll have no problems getting to the bucket at the college level.
    Can't see the Korver comparison at all. Stauskus is probably a decent one.

He reminds me a bit more of a shorter, less explosive Rodney Hood.

(Not really. Just wanted to mix things up a bit.)
    Smaller, quicker, more closely shaven Zoubek

Very excited to have Luke join the Devils in 2015. In the brief clips that were posted, was quite impressed with some of the sharp passes, some of the no look variety. Seemed to be actively engaged with his teammates.
    One must remember he is still 17 months away from entering college - with this decision behind him, he can concentrate on what Coach K and staff want him to work. Can not imagine that cranking up the defensive skills will not be part of that regimen. 17 months to get bigger and stronger. I'm excited to see what he does with this time. Looks to be a fine addition.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Smaller, quicker, more closely shaven Zoubek
    How about Thomas Hill - going with the lefty vibe?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Welcome to Duke, Mr. Kennard.

I will apologize in advance for any time I might call you Denny Kennard.

Did LUKE mention 2 additional kids joining him (as reported on twitter)? Bring 'em....