Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi

Semi

So, I can't help but feel that Semi didn't really get used this year as well as he should have... Given his incredible athleticism and his intelligence, I would have thought he may have been used a bit at the 3/4.

I can't help but think (as someone who wasnt at practice and so on) that he could have been useful this year, especially as a way to develop him going forward.
    Last edited by pfrduke; 03-22-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    So, I can't help but feel that Semi didn't really get used this year as well as he should have... Given his incredible athleticism and his intelligence, I would have thought he may have been used a bit at the 3/4.

I can't help but think (as someone who wasnt at practice and so on) that he could have been useful this year, especially as a way to develop him going forward.
    I agree about Semi. He's very talented and could have been used more. I didn't see him having as much fun toward the end of the year like he was at the first of the season. I saw Andre, Josh, Todd and Matt on the bench going krazy but not the same for Semi. I hope he works hard over the summer and forces his way into the rotation next season. GoDuke!

I'm terrified he is going to transfer. I really cannot for the life of me understand why he did not get any PT, really all year. Losing 7 kids off one team would not be good, 8 if you count Murph leaving before Christmas.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I'm terrified he is going to transfer. I really cannot for the life of me understand why he did not get any PT, really all year. Losing 7 kids off one team would not be good, 8 if you count Murph leaving before Christmas.
    Don't know what his personal situation is - but based on past Duke transfer patterns, he might leave this spring or at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    And there it is. Less than 24 hours after the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

Agreed. It's incredible and almost ridiculous that K can leave talent sitting on the bench. He did the same with Mike G so I pray to god Semi doesn't head that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CR9 View Post
    Agreed. It's incredible and almost ridiculous that K can leave talent sitting on the bench. He did the same with Mike G so I pray to god Semi doesn't head that way.
    Everyone knew Semi was a project when he came to Duke. While he's extremely athletic he is from a small Kansas town and was bigger than everyone is high school. But since you appear to be on a nice run of slamming Coach K the last 24 hours this post does not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Everyone knew Semi was a project when he came to Duke. While he's extremely athletic he is from a small Kansas town and was bigger than everyone is high school. But since you appear to be on a nice run of slamming Coach K the last 24 hours this post does not surprise me.
    You could make the case that both Matt and Marshall are 'projects' of their own. They both seem to have no offensive game, but they still played a lot more than Semi. Instead of rotating Semi in the give Jabari/Rodney, K decided on Dre early in the season and Tyler late. If all Jones and Marshall bring is defense at this particular time, why couldn't Semi?

Not unlike Olek Czyz, who was also an athletic project.

If these projects want early playing time, Duke is definitely the wrong school to pick.

Hopefully Semi wants to stick around and get better, but if he wants to get more PT elsewhere, who are we to begrudge him?

Regardless it is all conjecture and rumor at this point. I will save my concern for real information.

You could make the case that both Matt and Marshall are 'projects' of their own. They both seem to have no offensive game, but they still played a lot more than Semi. Instead of rotating Semi in the give Jabari/Rodney, K decided on Dre early in the season and Tyler late. If all Jones and Marshall bring is defense at this particular time, why couldn't Semi?
    Well MP3 is nearly 7 feet tall. Is Semi?

Matt Jones is a perimeter defender. Is Semi?

Semi is a tweener and nothing we've heard suggests he has the defensive ability of Matt or Marshall. All we know is that he is strong and can dunk and knock down an occasional three. None of those means he can play D effectively.

I don't know that "everyone" knew he was a project coming in. Many did. Maybe even most. I certainly felt that way. But many saw his athleticism and shooting touch (he's actually a decent shooter) and saw potential value this year.

But the more important question is what Ojeleye himself thought. If he expected to play right away, then the "T" word is not out of the question.

Basically, I think we as fans need to accept the reality that any top-50 recruit that doesn't see early playing time is a threat to transfer. The days of expecting top-50 recruits to be willing to come in and get little-to-no PT for a year or two are gone. With early entry such a big part of the game, these guys expect to play right away. And with TV coverage so widespread, guys aren't forced to choose between starring in anonymity or sitting and waiting their turn.

I'm not saying we should expect anyone in particular to transfer. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be surprised when any top-50 recruit decides to transfer. That's just the nature of the beast. Times have changed.

For example, Alex Murphy LOVED Duke by all accounts. It was his dream school. He seemed to love his time on the team while he was here. But even after redshirting a season, he decided that a mid-season transfer was necessary for him so that he could get to play.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Semi is a tweener and nothing we've heard suggests he has the defensive ability of Matt or Marshall. All we know is that he is strong and can dunk and knock down an occasional three. None of those means he can play D effectively.
    Nobody knew Jones was a great defender until he played. Has Semi? I just don't understand why he didn't play more early in the season. If he had played and not performed, then I could see him sitting for the year but playing 3-4 minutes a game when Duke's defense is passive and O is stall isn't going to prove anything.

Nobody knew Jones was a great defender until he played. Has Semi? I just don't understand why he didn't play more early in the season. If he had played and not performed, then I could see him sitting for the year but playing 3-4 minutes a game when Duke's defense is passive and O is stall isn't going to prove anything.
    Actually Jones had a great reputation coming out of high school for defense.

Also, you underestimate the value of what the coaches see in practices. I'd imagine they didn't see enough from Semi. But you act as if Jobes played a ton this season. He averaged 7 min a game.

Actually Jones had a great reputation coming out of high school for defense.

Also, you underestimate the value of what the coaches see in practices. I'd imagine they didn't see enough from Semi. But you act as if Jobes played a ton this season. He averaged 7 min a game.
    Compared to Semi, Matt played a ton. Playing Semi was a no-lose situation. Duke's defense was bad and I doubt giving Semi 7-ish minutes a game would've made it much worse. In that scenario, he has some game experience for next season. I just don't see how sitting him was a better decision.

Compared to Semi, Matt played a ton. Playing Semi was a no-lose situation. Duke's defense was bad and I doubt giving Semi 7-ish minutes a game would've made it much worse. In that scenario, he has some game experience for next season. I just don't see how sitting him was a better decision.
    So who would you have sat in favor of Semi?

Let me guess... The seniors?

I'm curious as to why Coach K didn't just redshirt Semi then. If he was a project, didn't have the defensive ability as Jones to play immediately, and was already playing behind Jabari, Rodney, Amile, Josh, Jones, and you could even put Murph in there as well; why waste a year of eligibility and increase the chances of him transferring? I too think Semi has a lot to offer and will have a very good place on this roster. I would be extremely dissapointed if he left.

Hard to say. That depends. If Semi were to play, I'd have hoped that meant widening the rotation. A guard (Cook/TT, whichever didn't start), a wing (Semi) and a big body (Josh/MP3) but that would require an 8-man rotation which rarely seemed on the cards so I'd say Matt considering he contributed nothing offensively and I feel like Semi being so big and athletic could at least crash the glass for some put-backs.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I will admit I'd have liked to see Semi get some of Josh's minutes this past season. I felt his upside (at least athletically) was worth giving him some of those minutes. And yes, I know the argument against it. Just giving my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I'm curious as to why Coach K didn't just redshirt Semi then. If he was a project, didn't have the defensive ability as Jones to play immediately, and was already playing behind Jabari, Rodney, Amile, Josh, Jones, and you could even put Murph in there as well; why waste a year of eligibility and increase the chances of him transferring? I too think Semi has a lot to offer and will have a very good place on this roster. I would be extremely dissapointed if he left.
    Pretty sure Semi would have to accept the redshirt, wouldn't he?

Not sure how it works, but as a freshman I'd rather take whatever in game experience I could get than redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I will admit I'd have liked to see Semi get some of Josh's minutes this past season. I felt his upside (at least athletically) was worth giving him some of those minutes. And yes, I know the argument against it. Just giving my opinion.
    Well MP3 ended up getting Josh's minutes. Personally I wanted MP3 in there over Semi.