Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Jabari's skills at this point in his career are far superior to Grant's at same point... Grant never had a consistent jumper - or good form for that matter. Jabari's biggest issue is maturing physically. He will shed his baby fat in the next two years and become more explosive. But fresh grant vs fresh Jabari is no contest
    Who would have been a better pro- Freshman Grant or Senior Grant. I claim that if Grant has left after his Freshman year he never would have developed to be the pro he became. That may be wild speculation but I would bet money that Grant would say the same. Senior Grant was better than Freshman Jabari - the kid almost led a team to a NC by himself. Grant was the best player Duke has had. Duke had zero NC before he came to the program.

Jabari's skills at this point in his career are far superior to Grant's at same point... Grant never had a consistent jumper - or good form for that matter. Jabari's biggest issue is maturing physically. He will shed his baby fat in the next two years and become more explosive. But fresh grant vs fresh Jabari is no contest
    You didn't see the same Grant Hill I saw. He was a winner from day one. He played with better players his freshman year than the ones Jabari played with. He deferred to them often. Jabari on the other hand was the primary offensive weapon. And then when you throw in that little thing called defense, it's not even close in my opinion. I do believe another year in school would help JP. He would be able to play a more natural position(SF/PF). He wouldn't be the man in the low post(Okafor). He could actually learn how to play defense and he could get stronger. I'm saying all this with love for this young man. I don't want Jabari to get in over his head like Austin did. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For me, there is a huge myth surrounding Jabari that he is the best player on our team. I strongly disagree. I would be inclined to give that mantle to Hood. Jabari may be our best scorer, and he is certainly the most talented, but to be the best player requires a more rounded game than Parker currently possesses. His defense is IMO abysmal, but unlike Dawkins and others, he stays on the court because we need his points. He is excellent at creating opportunities for himself, but especially down the stretch failed to capitalize so often. It was as frustrating to me to watch him miss layups and putbacks as it is to watch the women miss the same close shots.
    He has lots to learn. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be selected high in the draft if he chooses to go, but unless his game improves immensely over the summer, we won't be seeing stunning stats in his NBA box scores any time soon.
    So I do hope he stays. I would love to see him in the tourney next year after another season is under his belt, when he may very well be not only the best player on our team, but the best player in college.
    Parker was our best player imo and it wasn't really close. Mercer's whole game plan was to deny parker the ball, keep duke away from the rim and make us beat them with 3 pointers. Even shooting well it wasn't enough with parker held in check. Hood is only marginally better on defense but parkers rebounding is elite. Without him we have almost zero post presence and poor rebounding. What is special about Parker is his balance for his size. He can make post moves and get shots off in control when it appears he falling down or off balance. It's rare to have his combination of strength, timing and touch. I think his game is tailored for the NBA and he will be a load.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    It's not easy to compare players of different times, so this may be mostly a matter of opinion, but IMO Jabari is an amazing talent, and perhaps the best ever at Duke. Yes, there have been other great ones, but to see Jabari put up 30 points and 11 rebounds vs UNC --- what Duke freshman ever had a game like that against top competition? (Kyrie vs Michigan State, but none other come to mind). Jabari finished 2nd in the ACC in scoring and 1st in rebounding as a freshman; again, that's exceptional.

A side note here on Rodney Hood as he was mentioned above -- to see him go 2-10 for 6 points yesterday in a game of this importance...truly disappointing.

To Jabari's decision -- he seems to really enjoy being a college student at Duke; I hope that works in favor of his return.
    I will concede that in my memory- Jabari was most productive Duke Freshman- but to define this year's UNC team as top competition and comparable to what other Duke Freshman had to face is a bit of a stretch.

Correction: That is all YOU can say right now. He is the most talented player to ever play at Duke. K didn't get him the ball enough at end of games and Jabari probably didn't demand it enough but don't let a bad last game negatively color Jabari's greatness.
    Grant Hill would like to dispute that 'most talented' opinion. Jason Williams might, as well.

He (Parker) is the most talented player to ever play at Duke.
    Thanks. We all needed a good laugh. There is no denying that Parker is a great talent. But I do wonder if you remember some of Duke"s other greats - there have been quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Grant Hill would like to dispute that 'most talented' opinion. Jason Williams might, as well.
    Christian Laettner was the best college player we have ever had at Duke... and I attribute about 75% of that to his talent and the other 25% to his "bad attitude" towards losing...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Christian Laettner was the best college player we have ever had at Duke... and I attribute about 75% of that to his talent and the other 25% to his "bad attitude" towards losing...
    That's a fact, Jack!

Maybe the best college player ever. There's an argument to made for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    He is top 5 for sure.. but I got to see David Thompson play, and well... he was pretty freakin amazing...

Chances?

If we had gone deep into the NCAAT with JP averaging 20+ pts and 9 boards, I would put the odds at 90%/10% on his leaving. This loss and his totals make my take at almost 50%/50% he stays.

We'll find out soon enough. I'd love to listen in on JP's phone calls with Jalil and Tyus.

He is top 5 for sure.. but I got to see David Thompson play, and well... he was pretty freakin amazing...
    So did I and I agree, but no one liked to lose less than CL. That made him great.

It would be really hard to decide between those two. DT was a physical freak - CL a player who refused to lose.

In pure athleticism you have to give the nod to Thompson, but being in the starting line -up in four final four games and three National Championships had never been done before, has never been done since, and in this ear of one-and-done may never be repeated.

The great David Thompson!!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It would be really hard to decide between those two. DT was a physical freak - CL a player who refused to lose.

In pure athleticism you have to give the nod to Thompson, but being in the starting line -up in four final four games and three National Championships had never been done before, has never been done since, and in this ear of one-and-done may never be repeated.
    When I tell people how good DT was and that he was way better college basketball player than Jordan, they don't believe me. That's because they probably didn't see DT play. Well it is the truth. DT was amazing. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Lew Alcindor thinks that's funny. Saw he and DT and Christian wasn't at that level.

This over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I would put Grant above him. Pre-injury Grant was a phenomenal NBA player. Time will tell if Jabari can come close to him. But I am sure we can all name many non-Duke players that were better talents. Jabari is very good but let's not look at the current state of college ball to judge talent- particularly transcendent talent.
    Freshman year Grant Hill was nowhere close to freshman year Jabari Parker. Junior- and senior-year Hill was better, and NBA Hill was better. But no Duke freshman has been as good as Parker was this year. One can only assume that - like Hill did - Parker will keep getting better and better.

I certainly hope that he decides his college career is incomplete and he returns for another year. But I certainly don't expect it, he certainly doesn't need to do it, and I certainly won't begrudge him going.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Jason Williams might, as well.
    My money on JWill. He was finely formed before he got to Duke. What a marvel...and what a personality, mean son of a gun behind those pearly whites.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Freshman year Grant Hill was nowhere close to freshman year Jabari Parker. Junior- and senior-year Hill was better, and NBA Hill was better. But no Duke freshman has been as good as Parker was this year. One can only assume that - like Hill did - Parker will keep getting better and better.

I certainly hope that he decides his college career is incomplete and he returns for another year. But I certainly don't expect it, he certainly doesn't need to do it, and I certainly won't begrudge him going.
    Agree - but I did ask and wonder what you think if Grant had left after his Freshman year based on potential- do you think he would have been as good a pro as he turned out to be. Jabari right now may be better than Freshman Grant but not as good as Senior Grant. That would put Parker as a solid NBA player - likely playing on a bad team. What skillset does he bring that will set him apart- court awareness- Defense - shooting- passing ability- rebounding? He did very well in an ACC that does not have many great next level players. I am just not sure how to judge him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    My money on JWill. He was finely formed before he got to Duke. What a marvel...and what a personality, mean son of a gun behind those pearly whites.
    And the kid could play some mean "D". Jabari needs work. GoDuke!