Wojo hires Chris Carrawell

good pick by the new head coach.
    ~rthomas

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    good pick by the new head coach.
    Thanks for the update, and I agree. CWell's one of the ones I mentioned as one I would like to see on the Duke bench in a suit. (Once again.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

St. Louis guy, so presumably some recruiting cred there and in Midwest?

My favorite Duke player of all time! Go C-well!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    One of my favorites as well. Tough, clutch, selfless, multitalented and passionate.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Mine, too! I am excited that he is back on a college bench in a full assistant's spot.

how long will it be until we see them on Duke's schedule?

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    how long will it be until we see them on Duke's schedule?

Probably in the round of 32 of next year's tournament. #SelectionCommitteeStoryLine

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    Probably in the round of 32 of next year's tournament. #SelectionCommitteeStoryLine
    Of curse, that assumes we make it to the round of 32... ( gotta be able to laugh)...

Really good move

Very interesting. IIRC, their playing days overlapped (Wojo graduating in 1998, C-well in 2000) and so Wojo was an assistant in C-well's last 2 years. So great to see them sticking together.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Very interesting. IIRC, their playing days overlapped (Wojo graduating in 1998, C-well in 2000) and so Wojo was an assistant in C-well's last 2 years. So great to see them sticking together.
    wojo was not an assistant on the 1998-99 team

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Of curse, that assumes we make it to the round of 32... ( gotta be able to laugh)...
    Very appropriate typo. Even better if it was on purpose!

It appears that Wojo has filled the other 2 official assistant coaching slots at Marquette besides Carrawell. According to this USA Today article he has retained Jerry Wainwright from the current Marquette staff. He has also hired Mark Phelps from Missouri where he was an assistant under Frank Haith last year.

Wainwright has head coaching experience at UNC-W, Richmond and Depaul and was an assistant under Dave Odom at Wake. Phelps was head coach at Drake for five years from 2008-2013 and was a longtime assistant to Herb Sendek at NC St and Arizona St before that.

I think it is a good idea for a first-time head coach to have staff members with head-coaching experience. I don't know much about Phelps but I thought Wainwright did well at UNC-W and Richmond. Interesting that he has chosen to remain at Marquette.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    It appears that Wojo has filled the other 2 official assistant coaching slots at Marquette besides Carrawell. According to this USA Today article he has retained Jerry Wainwright from the current Marquette staff. He has also hired Mark Phelps from Missouri where he was an assistant under Frank Haith last year.

Wainwright has head coaching experience at UNC-W, Richmond and Depaul and was an assistant under Dave Odom at Wake. Phelps was head coach at Drake for five years from 2008-2013 and was a longtime assistant to Herb Sendek at NC St and Arizona St before that.

I think it is a good idea for a first-time head coach to have staff members with head-coaching experience. I don't know much about Phelps but I thought Wainwright did well at UNC-W and Richmond. Interesting that he has chosen to remain at Marquette.
    Wainwright went 136-103 at UNCW including two NCAA tournaments. He went 50-42 at Richmond, including another NCAA berth. He only went 59-80 at DePaul and was fired mid-season in 2010. Career record - 245-225.

When he got fired at DePaul, he had a broken leg coming from getting run over during a game. Then he found out he had prostate cancer...

That's rough! Glad to see he's bounced back and is putting down some roots at Marquette.

Great news for Carawell and Wojo. CC is one of my all time favorites - willing to do anything on the court to win, from playing center to point.

Quote Originally Posted by JamminJoe View Post
    Great news for Carawell and Wojo. CC is one of my all time favorites - willing to do anything on the court to win, from playing center to point.
    I don't recall Chris ever playing point guard.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I don't recall Chris ever playing point guard.
    Check out this entry from Jim Sumner's book "Tales from the Duke Blue Devils Hardwood".
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Pml...20duke&f=false
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It appears that Wojo has filled the other 2 official assistant coaching slots at Marquette besides Carrawell.
    Note to mods: this is the proper spelling of his last name. The thread title currently has it wrong ("Carawell").

Also, link from GoMarquette.

I like that move for Phelps. At Mizzou, Frank Haith is proceeding to mess up what he inherited from Mike Anderson, who fixed the mess left by our own Quin Snyder.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine