Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Again. I'm OK with the wide open 3's. Those are good shots. But poor defense is going to put a lot of pressure on this team to make a high percentage of these shots. There's enough talent on this roster we should be able to beat Mercer about twenty different ways, but if you can't play defense you have no margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Not trying to make excuses but this is not a 14 seed. The NCAA has got to do a better job at seeding these teams.

In the 2nd half though...pound the rock inside to Parker. Relying on 3 pointers will be an L and another embarrassing first round loss when really Mercer deserves a lot more respect than a 14 seed.
    that, or we are just a poor basketball team...

we aren't winning this one

All you can do is laugh, really. Did Collins matter that much?

OMG, what in the HECK are we DOING on DEFENSE? Yeah, I know it's been bad all year, but layup after layup followed by Jefferson fouling 35 feet from the hoop is just...mind boggling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I'd argue that it ranks right up there as one of the most predictable. We are playing exactly how we were expected to play. Anyone here who is surprised is telling an untruth.
    And it may just end like some of us thought it might. Just put us out of our misery.

Most of the 3s we've taken have been open shots. It's our defense that is killing us - which is not a new story. I wish we'd keep Jabari on the post and try and work inside out for more balanced 3s, but none of it will matter if we can't get stops.

This is how it went at Clemson, ND and Wake: things went south, Duke couldn't pull out of tailspin. We'll see what they've got today...

Throw in a zone? Something has to be done on D!

Jabari on the perimeter. Not smart. Nor was his slap foul a few seconds earlier. Silly foul by Amile. Three silly fouls in less than a minute. Such foolish, lack-of-concentration plays make it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Don't give me that nonsense about Mercer being too good of a 14 seed... Look at our roster vs. theirs. Look at our coach and his experience vs. theirs. The only way Duke should lose is because they were outplayed. There is absolutely NO reason for Duke to be outplayed.

Enough with the excuses. This Duke team either has to step up right now or go home and hope for a better season next year. I'm so sick of listening to people try and make excuses for this team.

One day it's the refs, the next day it is the team we are playing is too good. Enough. Win or go home.
    finally someone said it!!

Mercer is really packing the lane and daring us to hit 3s. it will take patient offense to crack that. We aren't patient. Then again, the problem in this game is on the other end of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Most of the 3s we've taken have been open shots. It's our defense that is killing us - which is not a new story. I wish we'd keep Jabari on the post and try and work inside out for more balanced 3s, but none of it will matter if we can't get stops.
    Yup. This team just can't play defense. It's amazing really. It's been a problem throughout the season and it is currently the problem today. The offense has been okay (not making a good percentage, but getting lots of second-chance points). But the defense has been brutal.

Our (many) fouls are really hurting.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

We're going to end up putting them in the bonus pretty soon, which is not good.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I may not be a basketball expert, but can I make this point. Even if most of the 3's taken are open threes, wouldn't making the defense move more and challenge them inside, banging down low wear them out on offense. Taking the 1st available open 3 is making their life on defense much easier and for that reason they can expend more energy on the offensive end. Just a thought

These fouls are going to start becoming a problem very very soon.

Seriously, Amile? Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    And it may just end like some of us thought it might. Just put us out of our misery.
    Honestly, I kinda feel the same way. Not really venting. For once, I'd actually wouldn't be upset by this loss which says something about this #3 seed. Figured defense would be their demise. Just figured it would come later.

IMO, this has been one of K's worst coaching jobs. Duke consistently has more talent, athleticism, and dpeth than their opponents this year, yet continues to struggle. The team has not really improved any of their weaknesses of the year, and the one player who fills lot of holes (Marshall) doesn't play enough. I think we should take our blue glasses of and truly evaulate his coaching job this year. Losses to Wake, Clemson, Notre Dame, and close calls against Clemson, UMD at home, and Vermont just further my point.