Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by LobstersPinchPinch View Post
    Agree with both of you guys. While he'll never be a good rebounder for his position - a lot of that is just his play style, strength, and attitude - right now he's pretty close to an atrocious rebounder. Not sure if the coaches are not emphasizing his rebounding, or if they are and he's not willing/able to do what they're asking. My guess is the latter.

Will be a very interesting contrast with Winslow next year, who by all accounts is a voracious rebounder. Don't recall that last time we had one at the SF position, but I'm sure you guys do.
    George Moses... 9 rebounds a game... played two seasons I think, first junior college transfer, flunked out my senior yr 1976 I think...hulk of a man..back then we didn't have much to cheer about for the totality of the seasons...but he was a bright light...for a awhile

Will be a very interesting contrast with Winslow next year, who by all accounts is a voracious rebounder. Don't recall that last time we had one at the SF position, but I'm sure you guys do.
    I think his name was Kyle Singler (7 rpg for his career). He graduated three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think his name was Kyle Singler (7 rpg for his career). He graduated three years ago.
    Hey Kedsy. I think of Kyle more as "hungry" than "voracious" when it comes to rebounds. Now if we're talking buckets... :-)

I wonder if Justise will be a slightly less skilled but slightly more athletic and hard-nosed version of Kyle. That's probably the best comparison I can think of, if the scouting reports are right.

Would you pencil him for major minutes at SF next year, if his D is as good as advertised?

Hey Kedsy. I think of Kyle more as "hungry" than "voracious" when it comes to rebounds. Now if we're talking buckets... :-)

I wonder if Justise will be a slightly less skilled but slightly more athletic and hard-nosed version of Kyle. That's probably the best comparison I can think of, if the scouting reports are right.

Would you pencil him for major minutes at SF next year, if his D is as good as advertised?
    As far as degree of hunger goes, who can say? I'd be surprised if Justise as a freshman manages more than the 6.9 rpg that Kyle averaged during his career. And part of that will be minutes. I don't want to go too far down a road that's probably best left for the off-season, but we're going to be pretty loaded next season, with Tyus, Quinn, Rasheed, Matt, Justise, and possibly Semi and Grayson all vying for perimeter minutes. Kyle Singler averaged 33 mpg in his career. I'll be very surprised if Justise gets as many as 25 mpg next season. Without studying the issue it's hard to say, but my guess is he'll get somewhere between 15 and 22 mpg, at least until he proves himself either worthy of moving up to the 25 range or possibly drops down into the 10 range. No way to tell at this point.

Kyle was as tough-minded and hard-nosed a player at Duke as I've seen in my time following the Blue Devils (since about 1996). We'll be fortunate if Justise demonstrates even a modicum of the toughness that Kyle had in his left leg, let alone his entire body.

Kyle was a damn worker. A ------- worker.

I'm not sure I see the comparison. Kyle was a 6-9 stretch forward type who excelled as both a three-point and mid-range shooter, in addition to being able to bang inside. From what I've read, the 6-6 Winslow seems like more of a versatile small forward/guard in the flavor of Semi with more of a slasher's game than the Larry Bird game that Kyle had

One thing I am certain of is that I can't wait to see what next year's class brings.

I found this pretty interesting; in his mail bag, Mark Titus, was asked to name the college all-star team from different states. His North Carolina team looked like this:
    PG — Marcus Paige
    SG — Rodney Hood
    SF — T.J. Warren
    PF — Jabari Parker
    C — James Michael McAdoo

Bench: Rasheed Sulaimon, Brice Johnson, Leslie McDonald, J.P. Tokoto, Quinn Cook, Amile Jefferson, Andre Dawkins.

I know people here don't like Titus, but still interesting that a non-Duke "basketball" guy sees Dre as one of the best players in all of the state.

http://grantland.com/features/mark-t...ament-mailbag/

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Kyle was as tough-minded and hard-nosed a player at Duke as I've seen in my time following the Blue Devils (since about 1996). We'll be fortunate if Justise demonstrates even a modicum of the toughness that Kyle had in his left leg, let alone his entire body.

Kyle was a damn worker. A ------- worker.

I'm not sure I see the comparison. Kyle was a 6-9 stretch forward type who excelled as both a three-point and mid-range shooter, in addition to being able to bang inside. From what I've read, the 6-6 Winslow seems like more of a versatile small forward/guard in the flavor of Semi with more of a slasher's game than the Larry Bird game that Kyle had

One thing I am certain of is that I can't wait to see what next year's class brings.
    Kyle was an excellent 3pt shooter who had finesse around the rim. I wouldn't say that he was great at either the mid-range or banging in the paint. Nolan Smith and Scheyer were much more proficient with the mid-range, if memory serves me well.

But I agree about the toughness. There aren't many players anymore who have the toughness that Kyle has. Couple that with actual talent, and that number becomes even less. Winslow is an interesting player, but I'm not sure anyone can judge his toughness until we actually see him play college ball.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

nmduke2001

I found this pretty interesting; in his mail bag, Mark Titus, was asked to name the college all-star team from different states. His North Carolina team looked like this:
    PG — Marcus Paige
    SG — Rodney Hood
    SF — T.J. Warren
    PF — Jabari Parker
    C — James Michael McAdoo

Bench: Rasheed Sulaimon, Brice Johnson, Leslie McDonald, J.P. Tokoto, Quinn Cook, Amile Jefferson, Andre Dawkins.

I know people here don't like Titus, but still interesting that a non-Duke "basketball" guy sees Dre as one of the best players in all of the state.

http://grantland.com/features/mark-t...ament-mailbag/
    Wait--what? A comment about Andre Dawkins on the Andre Dawkins thread? Astonishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    George Moses... 9 rebounds a game... played two seasons I think, first junior college transfer, flunked out my senior yr 1976 I think...hulk of a man..back then we didn't have much to cheer about for the totality of the seasons...but he was a bright light...for a awhile
    I remember George. As I recall, Tate Armstrong was the reason for most of the cheering that took place back then. A couple years later, a fella named Gene Banks played SF too, I believe, and he was a beast. Kenny Dennard was the PF. I suppose I could have those backwards, but Kenny was slightly taller than Tink, so I think that is right.

Back to Andre, sometimes it is just matchups and who the coaches think can best matchup with opposing players. Against some teams (UVA, NC State, etc.), the 2's & 3's are tough covers for Andre. Still, I love it when he is out there just for the effect he has on the opposing defense. I don't recall another Duke player coming off the bench who the opposition paid so much attention too. Best example I can think of is Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson of the Detroit Pistons back in the 80's. I also love the effect he has on his teammates when he hits a couple 3's, really gets them fired up. Oh, and I just love the kids smile... so glad to see him smiling!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

[For some weird reason, my iPad won't allow me to "reply with quote" to nmduke2001's post #86, though it will let me do so with all other posts. Leading me to wonder whether nmd is a space alien, perhaps migrating to "nm" from Area 51. Glad to see some space aliens are Duke fans rather than haters. On to my point....]

Even limiting his team to players who'll be in the NCAAT, Titus left out NCCU's very talented Jeremy Ingram. Even discounting the lesser competition in the MEAC, Ingram scored 27 at Cincy, 29 at NCSt, and ... 37 at Wichita St. Either add him as a sub, or sub him for, well, Leslie McDonald. Unless anyone would care to argue that LM had a better year than Andre.

ETA: I'm disappointed that NCCU got Iowa St. as first game. Tough draw, actually maybe for both teams. NCCU guys undoubtedly plan to beat ISU, just as Mercer guys know they can - can - beat Duke.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-19-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    [For some weird reason, my iPad won't allow me to "reply with quote" to nmduke2001's post #86, though it will let me do so with all other posts. Leading me to wonder whether nmd is a space alien, perhaps migrating to "nm" from Area 51. Glad to see some space aliens are Duke fans rather than haters. On to my point....]

Even limiting his team to players who'll be in the NCAAT, Titus left out NCCU's very talented Jeremy Ingram. Even discounting the lesser competition in the MEAC, Ingram scored 27 at Cincy, 29 at NCSt, and ... 37 at Wichita St. Either add him as a sub, or sub him for, well, Leslie McDonald. Unless anyone would care to argue that LM had a better year than Andre.

ETA: I'm disappointed that NCCU got Iowa St. as first game. Tough draw, actually maybe for both teams. NCCU guys undoubtedly plan to beat ISU, just as Mercer guys know they can - can - beat Duke.
    Not an alien, though I have been to Roswell several times.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Kyle was an excellent 3pt shooter who had finesse around the rim. I wouldn't say that he was great at either the mid-range or banging in the paint. Nolan Smith and Scheyer were much more proficient with the mid-range, if memory serves me well.

But I agree about the toughness. There aren't many players anymore who have the toughness that Kyle has. Couple that with actual talent, and that number becomes even less. Winslow is an interesting player, but I'm not sure anyone can judge his toughness until we actually see him play college ball.
    Guess I remember it a little differently. Kyle displayed an excellent mid-range arsenal while at Duke. With his high release point and textbook mechanics, he was instant offense from either elbow and 15 feet out on the baseline. I always felt the mid-range game was one of Kyle's biggest attributes since it was such a high-percentage shot and he was able to shoot over almost anyone.