Baseball card sells for $2.8 million

A rare Honus Wagner baseball card has been sold for a record $2.8 million, just over six months after it was bought for a then-record $2.35 million.

Referred to as the "Mona Lisa" of baseball cards, the almost mint-condition collectible -- released in 1909 by the American Tobacco Company -- was sold by Brian Seigel of Las Vegas to an unidentified Southern California collector in February. SCP Auctions was a minority owner, but David Kohler, the company's president and CEO, said that's no longer the case. [search]
    is a baseball card really worth that?

I guess I'll never really understand the "collector's item" phenomenon... baseball cards, beanie babies, etc. I can see how they are of value to museums, if they charge an entrance fee, but why anyone would want to keep that in their collection (I imagine he would have insurance for this type of stuff too) just collecting dust...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    is a baseball card really worth that?
    Baseball Cards are a prime example of being worth exactly what someone esle is willing to pay for it - so I would say yaea, it is worth 2.6 million

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I guess I'll never really understand the "collector's item" phenomenon... baseball cards, beanie babies, etc. I can see how they are of value to museums, if they charge an entrance fee, but why anyone would want to keep that in their collection (I imagine he would have insurance for this type of stuff too) just collecting dust...
    I don't understand it either. A freakin' cardboard card worth 2.8 million? Doesn't make sense - I don't care who's image is on it.

I will say, however, that if anyone wants an autographed image of me, EarlJam, I will gladly sell you one (in mint condition) for much less than 2.8 million. Let's sayyyyyyyy, $100? Just send me a PM with your billing address and let me know which photo you want. There are four options:

1. EarlJam in high school baseball uniform
    2. Earljam at Camden Yards wearing a latex carrot head
    3. Nude, oiled down EarlJam ($200 for this one)
    4. EarlJam in Rome with the Pope

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

1. EarlJam in high school baseball uniform
    2. Earljam at Camden Yards wearing a latex carrot head
    3. Nude, oiled down EarlJam ($200 for this one)
    4. EarlJam in Rome with the Pope

-EarlJam
    In all fairness to the board and to save you from getting thousands of PM's, I think you should post these pictures on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    In all fairness to the board and to save you from getting thousands of PM's, I think you should post these pictures on the board.
    Well, this is the only one I have available right now. The other images of me, EarlJam, are locked up in a safe back at the house. I was too tall to fit all of my body in the tanning booths, hence I couldn't tan my face - and my "guns" were much more powerful in February when I was at the top of my game. I think by the time this photo was taken, I admit, I could barely even bench press 1000 pounds.

Attachment 115

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Well, this is the only one I have available right now. The other images of me, EarlJam, are locked up in a safe back at the house. I was too tall to fit all of my body in the tanning booths, hence I couldn't tan my face - and my "guns" were much more powerful in February when I was at the top of my game. I think by the time this photo was taken, I admit, I could barely even bench press 1000 pounds.

Attachment 115

-EarlJam
    Will PM my address to you.

Do you take personal checks, money orders, or credit cards?

Also will you please mail to me in a discreet envelope?

Thanks,
    TillyGalore